Fright Nights 2017

L7123456

The outside section of Platform is what needs the most work.  It's where the majority of actors are, yet you can see them all as there's no hiding places.  And there wasn't enough scope to be able to draw off a 'creepy atmosphere' for that length of time.  So if they added in some walls / set pieces to turn that section into a bit more of a labyrinth, that's work well.

The tunnel doesn't need much in my opinion.  It was bad last year because it was just a long walk in dark.  If they included more things to tackle the senses, it'd be fine.  For touch, they could have different types of floor (hard floor, soft floor, gravel), and say have bits of cotton hanging from the ceiling, as well as bits of cloth like last year.  A couple of extra sound effects / ambient background for sound.  Add in a smell somewhere and that's enough to keep you entertained during the whole tunnel if spread out evenly. 

Absolutely and entirely agreed with Baron. Platform 15 holds the potential to be perhaps the greatest Thorpe-designed, original scare maze to date; it was in my humble opinion, entirely deserving of the ScareCON nomination. However, it has failed to achieve its potential for numerous reasons. At the beginning, cramped photo opportunities plonked adjacent to bins is no way to establish the required grandeur of such an attraction. It would instead, if possible, have benefited from accepting the area in its current state, decrepit flume, overgrown exterior, crumbling wooden cottage. Following this with what became, to all intents and purposes, a fumbled comedy show, sandwiched between a public, green fenced footpath, and abundantly obvious, newly installed metal walls, which for me immediately destroyed any suspension of disbelief. On recent inspection, Thorpe have gathered along the far-side, staff access road, a decent collection of raw materials: chippings, logs, damaged fencing. It would, even in time for this year, be an immense improvement to place, in labyrinth style, these materials along the stone pathway, then pump this gauntlet with smoke effects, even if only up to the signal tower. From then, if the attraction is to become a staple, foliage is needed, drawing guests towards the Sleeper Express. Apart from this, although not taken aback by Thorpe's pyrotechnic performance, I know of nobody who was not impressed or pleased with this addition. Set pieces should be applied throughout. When passing over the bridge, low level fog so that guests cannot see where they're stepping, a trust walk so to speak, would heighten senses and instill a wide range of desired reactions, from fear of falling, to enjoyment at the novelty. This intermediary section within the woods was not overly disappointing, due to a combination of a short length, and most actors congregating here during my run-throughs. It would of course benefit from rockwork, further props, and paintwork on all new fences or CCTV towers. Last year's TTSP Scaremazing Event revealed that they were planning on crafting Platform 15 in two investment blocks: firstly, purchase the tunnel, re-purpose the train and tracks, build a usable bridge, install pyrotechnics; this would then in the subsequent year be enhanced with proper set design. It is a sad truth, FRIGHT NIGHTS sells itself. I do not for one minute wish ill upon the park, I would far prefer to see healthy annual growth, but this ability to sell a product regardless has cost the soul of theme parks. We were informed that, and it is beyond true, if the theming is present, the public will rightly acknowledge it, but if it isn't, then it is only the enthusiast community who'll raise this in the slightest, (this community who management are fully aware will be present through thick and thin). Just as suggested by Baron, the tunnel could easily be amplified with ensuring absolute darkness, adding strings, cloth, and other such hanging ceiling drapes to brush against. Changing up the flooring is also an exceptional idea to target guest senses. Absolutely anything would create a better finale than sock puppetry and chaotic oujia carnage. Brighter strobes, intense smoke, water effects, and a carefully crafted audio jumpscare would be perfect. Prior to Sanctum's installation, I had speculated that one improvement would be the addition of these containers across the attraction, themed either side as train tunnels, providing the illusion of trekking an abandoned railway line to compensate for the track removal. My greatest disappointment from Platform 15 wasn't the lack of scares, consistent breakdowns, jovial opening, or (if I'm quoting correctly) '500 metres' bin bag stroll, but the lack of realisation between Creative and product. Thorpe yet again, much like The Big Top, conjured a terrifying premise, perfectly fitting the setting, but didn't end up with what was required. I remain, perhaps foolishly, optimistic. Only time will tell. FRIGHT NIGHTS dominates my year, it is the highlight of our collective calendar, long may it prosper. Happy Thorping y'all!

I think the outside section was actually pretty decent IMO.

I got few good scares in that section on my first run through, though some theming and more hiding spaces would be nice.

The tunnel is truly dreadful though..

As BaronC said some audio, and some floor type changes and maybe even some elevation and it'd be decent.

Though I think The Tunnel would work better in the beginning/middle of the attraction.

If you look at Tulleys the dark sections are usually used to build tension during the beginning/middle of the mazes, and with Platform this usually meant you were walking out bored from that annoyingly boring long walk in the dark you just did.

I don't think Thorpe are gonna be the able to do a full U turn like they did with Big Top, but I think Platform could be Ok/Decent if they give the Tunnel some actual atmosphere.

I do hope platform has had a significant revamp as it was a terrible maze for me last year, no suspense and not scary at all. In my opinion more work needs to be put into outdoor attractions in general compared to indoor to make sure theming comes across- a few random props here and there, with nothing big enough for actors to hide behind so you can see them a mile away just doesn't work for me.

More fake walls/props and less open spaces would mean more jump scares, and make the maze more like a, well, maze, not a wide unthemed walkway followed by a never ending tunnel made of flimsy blankets. 

On a more positive note I'm going on the 1st, hoping queues will be good so should get to go on most/all of the mazes! If anyone is going on press night I'll await your thoughts to determine order of priority.

37 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

I do hope platform has had a significant revamp as it was a terrible maze for me last year, no suspense and not scary at all. In my opinion more work needs to be put into outdoor attractions in general compared to indoor to make sure theming comes across- a few random props here and there, with nothing big enough for actors to hide behind so you can see them a mile away just doesn't work for me.

More fake walls/props and less open spaces would mean more jump scares, and make the maze more like a, well, maze, not a wide unthemed walkway followed by a never ending tunnel made of flimsy blankets. 

On a more positive note I'm going on the 1st, hoping queues will be good so should get to go on most/all of the mazes! If anyone is going on press night I'll await your thoughts to determine order of priority.

When is press night?

Got to love Tobin, he really is what made that franchise bearable.

As much as people like to moan about Saw Alive's age, I think 2015 and onward its been one of the better mazes at the park.

Some of the scares were actually pretty relentless last year, and the pig-mask guys for sure got a few shocks out of me when they jumped out of nowhere.

I'm looking forward to going and dropping my complimentary kebab on Stealth, thus rendering it inoperable for the rest of the season as per MOS last year.

I'm going to go and complain to guest services as soon as I arrive that I've managed to get a ticket to press night as I'm not even a proper enthusiast, and demand fastracks.

11 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

I'm looking forward to going and dropping my complimentary kebab on Stealth, thus rendering it inoperable for the rest of the season as per MOS last year.

I'm going to go and complain to guest services as soon as I arrive that I've managed to get a ticket to press night as I'm not even a proper enthusiast, and demand fastracks.

Is it a zombie themed kebab though? ?

22 hours ago, mrmatt said:

I wonder is someone who is going to fright nights on the first weekend could post some pictures of the merchandise plus what prices are so I know how much money to take. 

Ill try grab some on Thursday! I'm sure they have some of it on display during the media night. For those that are interested *self plug. I'm gonna be live blogging with a few others. http://live.themeparkguide.biz 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic