MilesK

Fright Nights 2017

I visited last night and overall the mazes and the acting quality is by far some of the best I've seen at the park for years.

Most mazes seemed to have a decent amount of actors, and Platform was swarming with actors in some sections..

The operations though were god-awful, Big Top e-stopped three times within a hour, young kids were running over the ropes and kept running into maze past the groups and

The staff look puzzled to what do.. Shocking..

I believe that last night was the night were there was a large number of certain visitors in the park.  They cause more trouble and it does affect the operations a lot.  For some staff (especially if they're newer / haven't experienced that behaviour in large quantities before), it can be intimidating, difficult to control and a bit 'rabbit in headlights' for some.  And the security team will always be stretched regardless of how many staff they get in.  

That's certainly not to give staff / the park a bye for the operations / handling of some things, but perhaps it's easier to be a bit more forgiving given the circumstances. 

On 16/10/2017 at 10:36 AM, Themeparkadict said:

So fright nights this year has had mixed reviews so far however I’ve purchased the ultimate fastracks for 125 pound each I do have 3 questions regarding it 

1. Is DGBT included in this package 

2. How long is the average fastracks queue for the mazes so far 

3. Is it worth the money ? 

1. Yes, at least I’d hope so for that price!

2. On average I’d say around 15mins. I think Platform 15 fastrack was about 30-45mins last time I went but Big Top had an evac earlier so they handed out a lot of free fastracks.

3. I always say no but I never buy fastracks. Last few times I’ve been I’ve had free hand outs from other ride issues. They only really advertise the bundled fastracks but you can get separate one shots for any ride in the park which I’d consider much better value if there is a ride you really want to do. You can get a one shot on each maze for £8 and Walking dead for £10, I can’t verify as I’ve only seen one shot prices at the park but you can get a one shot for DBGT for about £6-8 (£6 for other main coasters), It’s no more than £10 for one shots though.

On 16/10/2017 at 4:08 PM, JoshuaA said:

I visited last night and overall the mazes and the acting quality is by far some of the best I've seen at the park for years.

Most mazes seemed to have a decent amount of actors, and Platform was swarming with actors in some sections..

The operations though were god-awful, Big Top e-stopped three times within a hour, young kids were running over the ropes and kept running into maze past the groups and

The staff look puzzled to what do.. Shocking..

I wouldnt say the three e-stops on big top in an hour would be bad operations. They could have all been for valid reasons, like guest action, security, first aid, which would be out of anyones control.  2015 Big Tops e-stops on the other hand, would have been classes as bad operations ;)

9 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

I wouldnt say the three e-stops on big top in an hour would be bad operations. They could have all been for valid reasons, like guest action, security, first aid, which would be out of anyones control.

I still found the operations needlessly poor though, and no wonder the constant e stops, the queue was barely being batched.. People just ran past the poor puzzled looking staff who seemed to just give up after a while..

Guest action was apparently (according to staff) what caused the e-stops, though

I have been on travellers night at Tulleys/Scarefest/ect and never had the problems that I had at Fright Nights on Sunday..

Security seemed to be pretty sparse around the park too..

On 16/10/2017 at 12:53 PM, david I said:

This forum is making me really concerned for my visit on the 30th OCT. How is the park on a weekday in october ( day before halloween) I'm not fussed about going in the mazes but seeing as this will be my first visit to Thorpe park in 3 years I would love to be able to get on all the rides I want

You should be fine :) I can't see it being a problem getting all the rides you want to done!

13 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I still found the operations needlessly poor though, and no wonder the constant e stops, the queue was barely being batched.. People just ran past the poor puzzled looking staff who seemed to just give up after a while..

Guest action was apparently (according to staff) what caused the e-stops, though

I have been on travellers night at Tulleys/Scarefest/ect and never had the problems that I had at Fright Nights on Sunday..

Security seemed to be pretty sparse around the park too..

Poor, fine. But the E-stops clearly we not operational reasons, but more guest related... something no one can stop. Big Top has this year gone 2 days without one e-stop. So, operational wise, its the best its been in the 3 years.

Sure you can't control crowds or guests.. But you can have decent amount of security to perhaps deter what happened the other night..

When you run any big event, you will get big crowds which can have problematic people, but if you have enough security and if the staff are well trained then it won't turn into a complete mess..

I just haven't seen that anywhere else.. I've visited Tulleys since like 2012, and I have not seen a single e-stop.. 

I'm not saying the e-stops are entirely Thorpe's fault, though for sure it could of been handled WAY better, and my hour queue was in the disabled queue.. God knows what it'd be like in the MAIN queue..

1 minute ago, JoshuaA said:

Sure you can't control crowds or guests.. But you can have decent amount of security to perhaps deter what happened the other night..

When you run any big event, you will get big crowds which can have problematic people, but if you have enough security and if the staff are well trained then it won't turn into a complete mess..

I just haven't seen that anywhere else.. I've visited Tulleys since like 2012, and I have not seen a single e-stop.. 

I'm not saying the e-stops are entirely Thorpe's fault, though for sure it could of been handled WAY better, and my hour queue was in the disabled queue.. God knows what it'd be like in the MAIN queue..

They have extra security for Fright Nights, unfortunately theres not a great deak they can do about troublemakers until they actually cause trouble - and only then can they deal with those causing the disruption.

Also comparing to Tulleys, whilst i see your point, Thorpes mazes have significantly more people going through them, thus more change of them potentially causing issues.