Your first Thorpe Park ride

Coaster

8 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

It also ran with the lights on at one point to try and prevent people from being sick!

I remember friends saying "the lights were broken so the ride wasn't dark".

That does sound like a stupid 'GP' quote, but I can understand why that was said.

However, when I did ride it in 2012 the lights were all off. Did they realise having lights on didn't solve the problems or something?

28 minutes ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I remember friends saying "the lights were broken so the ride wasn't dark".

That does sound like a stupid 'GP' quote, but I can understand why that was said.

However, when I did ride it in 2012 the lights were all off. Did they realise having lights on didn't solve the problems or something?

Yeah, they only had the lights on for a short time; I'm not sure what the exact reason was for going back to it being in the dark, but I remember there being a backlash because the lights were ruining the ride so maybe it was that.

5 hours ago, BaronC. said:

it was a recipe for sick.

"a recipe for sick" sounds gross

I can sort of imagine X backwards. I would guess that sort of big drop in the middle wouldn't have been fun. Am I right in saying it was a 1.5m height restriction or am I getting my facts mixed up somewhere along the line?

• 1 month later...
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Pinecone33 said:

My first ride was Storm Surge. Got to say, it was a lot better than I thought it would be, and I don't get the hate for it.

Its because it ruins the view more than if Alton Towers literally cellotaped Spinball Whizzer to your face as you entered the park.

First ride?  Thunder River - April 1987 (perk of having family high up at RMC at the time) infact my uncle told me I was one of the first people to ever ride it so you can imagine how my mum reacted when the kid was injuried a few weeks later lol, genie was out that bottle though.

The ride was rough back then, took my first girlfriend on it later that year and she puked all over me in the tunnel but it didn't matter as the water washed it off before we'd got back to the station.

In the modern era Swarm at the Feb half term event a couple of years ago, for various reasons I had not visited the park since 1989 (but nothing to do with mum) but I was determined to drag my son on as soon as he was tall enough, he's not a chicken like his mum lol

Would've been Flying Fish or Loggers back in the olden days when you risked injury from the bushes on the Flying Fish haha :D That queue line never really felt like you were queuing, you just felt you were in a garden centre :P No loitering on the bridge please!

Also - I've been sick on backwards X. Too many chocolate buttons before riding  - believe me, that exit took FOREVER when you can feel the chunder a-coming....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The funny/sad thing about me is, when I was smaller, I was scared s***less of coasters (even though I was a huge coaster enthusiast). Even to the point where I didn’t have the courage to try small and fun rides like X, Zodiac and even Depth Charge; I was a real scaredy-cat to say the least :P. This period was from about 2009-2016, and in all my lifetime, I’ve only visited Thorpe two times; once in 2013 and once in 2014. Both times I was there, I only rode one of the big five (Colossus), and looking back at it today, I am so god damn furious with myself for being such a chicken at the time. My first ride there was Storm Surge, and given the fact that I was so scared of almost every ride there (except the kiddie ones, of course), and I felt like an unbeatable champion just by riding a mild-thrilling ride, I found Storm Surge to be a really fun experience (I’m not saying that it’s mild-thrilling, as I’d probably be bored out of my mind if I rode it today). I absolutely agree with you guys on the fact, that it stands in a terrible location and blocks the otherwise beauty of Amity, but yes, Stormy was my first 

• 3 weeks later...