Unpopular Opinions

Charlesberg

I agree with Mark9 unless you factor in poor time planning, or similar you’d have to be quite dazed to manage two rides. Albeit at Towers this year you have no food options from WM to Valley bar RCR, which takes time.

Flicking to the one before I used to very much agree about not being an Intamin fan, but as the years tick by, I realise they are my favourite manufacurer at present. Millennium Force makes me crave to ride another Giga (or Expedition GeForce), the Accelerators are great fun and I personally find Desert Race a good ride (it’s smoother than Rita), and I also enjoy Baco in small doses as it does bruise me. And then, there’s Maverick... which leads me onto my unpopular opinion:

Maverick at Cedar Point and X2 at SF Magic Mountain are my favourite coasters. And I’d dare to say I love X2 so much I feel it was worth bankrupting Arrow for.  *mic drop*

10 hours ago, Benin said:

Is Maverick that unpopular? I only don't love it because of those stupid restraints effectively ruining the whole thing...

Think I need to try X2... X was a weird one but sullied by a 2.5 hour queue on 1 train op...

Maverick seems to be marmite amongst people. I think it’s absolutely fantastic. I agree it would be improved with lap bars but at least the OTSR are soft and flexible unlike Stealth, Rita etc. so there’s no pain.

X2 I’ve been quite lucky with. I’ve done it a few times as I always buy the fastrack as it’s so damn hot when I go. It’s just crazy and all the audio and effects that go with it make it amazing IMO. And I know A LOT of people really hate it.

2 hours ago, Flipper said:

Maverick seems to be marmite amongst people. I think it’s absolutely fantastic. I agree it would be improved with lap bars but at least the OTSR are soft and flexible unlike Stealth, Rita etc. so there’s no pain.

When I rode maverick it did have the stealth restraints so atleast the park noted the issue and tried to improve it, although it was still a wonderful ride even with the stealth otsr.

The horseshoe roll followed by the second launch is just my idea of perfection.

What a bizarre discussion.

It's all fair and well for a theme park fan to say "You should really plan your day fully in advance/work your way around the park in a specific order", but who honestly expects a member of the general public to be that forward-thinking and knowledgeable about the park's operations when anticipating what should be a leisurely day out at a park?

I can't speak for everyone, but the only modus operandi I tend to stick to when visiting a park is to leave the newest attraction(s) until later in the day, but Towers' operating schedule has basically done away with that unless you're of a very specific age group/demographic. I have never, particularly in off-peak season, had to plan out a schedule of rides prior to visiting a park, and I'd say there have only been two occasions where I've done a noticeably disappointing number of rides, one of which would have seen no benefit at all from forward-planning.

Visitors are paying more than they ever have to enter these parks, and yet Merlin are maintaining cuts that are very clearly having a big impact on a substantial number of guests' days out. Expecting people to accommodate this by putting a schedule on, or in any other way restraining a relaxed day out that they've paid for, is ignorant and against much of what theme parks were intended to be in the first place.

I live in a world where planning = hard work. Made out to be laborous and against the very face of what theme parks are about. I'm surprised at the reaction to my initial post frankly. Especially as you all make plans when visiting theme parks. :lol:

A plan is literally 'I shall go and ride the Smiler and Oblivion first'.

Such hard work.

• 2 weeks later...

There's slight hero worship behind Europa Park, Phantasialand and Efteling. Almost to the extent that other places don't get a look in. Which is a shame. Parc Asterix, Miribilandia, Tivoli Gardens just to name three are fantastic theme parks that get completely overlooked for some reason.

#CONTROVERSY

In fairness, Europa, Phantasialand and Efteling are three of the biggest-investing parks in Europe. They're all super easily accessible and are almost always guaranteed to deliver great rides and great days out (unless you're @Mega-Lite and you're trying to use the toilet at Phantasialand apparently ;) ).

I agree there's plenty of quality parks often overlooked - Parc Asterix was ridiculously overlooked last year with Pegasus Express, even if reviews of it ended up being lukewarm. Hansa Park is probably another park you throw into the almost completely overlooked category.

But I guess that's the beauty of Europe. We've got plenty of big name parks that deliver, but then we've got lots more smaller scale parks which are equally capable of doing something fantastic. 

I guess in all fairness everyone has their own favourite (and least favourite) parks. I think part of the reason why is these parks seem to be pushing the boats out in terms of theming and experience. Not to mention they are likely the most visited European parks by enthusiasts. 

I’m probably in that bubble considering they are all my top three.

There are definitely more great parks out there though in Europe. Liseberg, Plopsaland and Gardaland (maybe). Tover Land might be one to watch out for too amongst others. Disneyland Paris is self explanatory.

Anyways, keeping this topic unpopular now:

1/ Walking Dead is better than Derren Brown’s Ghost Train

2/ Walking Dead is the best ‘small’ investment since 2007 

3/ Saw is rougher than Colossus 

Throw the tomatoes if you like then

12 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

In fairness, Europa, Phantasialand and Efteling are three of the biggest-investing parks in Europe.

I know that. I also know there is far more out there that is completely under the radar that deserves attention. Plenty of big name parks in Europe and yet the same three are the only ones talked about.

I agree with your point. I just don't think it's that much of a mystery that there's a few parks which are at the forefront of people's attention when they're the ones which are arguably the best.

Other parks get their moments in fairness, though yes it's a shame they don't get more.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:41 PM, Mark9 said:

There's slight hero worship behind Europa Park, Phantasialand and Efteling. Almost to the extent that other places don't get a look in. Which is a shame. Parc Asterix, Miribilandia, Tivoli Gardens just to name three are fantastic theme parks that get completely overlooked for some reason.

#CONTROVERSY

I've visited EP, Efteling and PhL and I feel that their reputations are deserved. It's more down to their efficient operations, keen attention to maintenance and regular investment in improving the parks.

My unpopular opinion: Nemesis Inferno is one of the best rides at Thorpe. It may not be as good as Nemesis but that doesn't mean it's bad. I find it far stronger than most of Thorpe's line up, smooth and forceful and relentless.

Pretty sure this will annoy a lot of TPW fans: detonator is a lot better than apocalypse(sit down).

And here's a couple more:

- loggers was the UKs best water ride before it shut

- vampire is a terrible ride, I enjoy nothing about it apart from it's soundtrack 

- rattlesnake is the best ride at chessington

- studio 13 is the best scare maze Thorpe have done (even though 2017 big top was amazing)

- I'm a celebrity is actually good

And I'm almost certain my top European top 5 will cause some controversy:

1. Stealth

2. Nemesis inferno

3. Silver star

3. Furious baco 

5. Wickerman

On 5/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, Hethetheth said:

My unpopular opinion: Nemesis Inferno is one of the best rides at Thorpe. It may not be as good as Nemesis but that doesn't mean it's bad. I find it far stronger than most of Thorpe's line up, smooth and forceful and relentless.

That's not an unpopular opinion, that's the truth!

On 5/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, JoshuaA said:

Stampida is good

Yes it is, yay for more Stampida love!

Detonator is probably the best drop tower in the World, the only thing that I've yet to ride that may top it is Ikaros.

On 5/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, Jack said:

And I'm almost certain my top European top 5 will cause some controversy:

Benin's is worse, I wouldn't worry.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Helix is overrated.  It's a very fun coaster, but in all honesty I think I prefer Icon (need to re-ride to confirm this).

My reasoning is Icon throws you around more, and has more airtime moments as opposed to inversions.

Of course, Helix is still incredible and is probably the better coaster, but the heavy focus on inversions isn't really my personal preference.

1 minute ago, Coaster said:

Helix is overrated.  It's a very fun coaster, but in all honesty I think I prefer Icon (need to re-ride to confirm this).

My reasoning is Icon throws you around more, and has more airtime moments as opposed to inversions.

Of course, Helix is still incredible and is probably the better coaster, but the heavy focus on inversions isn't really to my liking.

(It's not over rated, you just don't like it as much as others do)