Unpopular Opinions

Charlesberg

Everyone has different opinions on different parks and attractions. I guess that is what makes enthusiasts interesting as long as it doesn’t result in anyone fighting to the death or receiving a permanent ban!

I personally love Helix, due to it’s combination of elements, lush surroundings and that exit out of the station. Sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s my european number one for a reason!

Anyways back on subject, my turn!

1/ Some park’s benefit from theming more than others depending on the style of the park.

2/ Some parks should stick to themed music and others to commercial music. Some benefit from combining both.

3/ Maverick is better than Taron (only slightly but it’s still better)

4/ Millennium Force is better than Shambhala 

5/ Icon is better than Blue Fire

6/ Stealth is better than Red Force

7/ U.K. Mcdonalds do better breakfasts than American ones

14 hours ago, Cedar Creek said:

3/ Maverick is better than Taron (only slightly but it’s still better)

4/ Millennium Force is better than Shambhala 

I second both of these!!

Maverick may have its flaws such as its restraints and the trims just after the second launch, but it’s variety in elements and it’s intensity to me is enough to give it the nod over Taron.

Millennium Force has the edge over Shambhala for me because it has an incredible first drop (arguably my favourite drop on any coaster), amazing speeds throughout, great views of the lake and surrounding coasters, does have some good pops of airtime (not as much as Shambhala admittedly) and to me is just a more fun coaster which is why it’s one of my top 3!!

Maybe I’ve just turned into a huge Cedar Point fanboy though!! ?

2 hours ago, Benin said:

That mini airtime hill before the helix (on Helix) has more airtime in it than every ride at BPB...

I mean it was the highlight of Helix for me, but to suggest it has more airtime than Dipper, National, Icon and Revolution all put together seems a bit of an overexaggeration?

4 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Well at least BPB has coasters with airtime.. Thats more than any UK Merlin park can say..

You may have come a long way round that conclusion, but maybe your opinion is based on how the "air time" is achieved; some may say that Detonator will give airtime when others will jump up and say "it's not a coaster", but there are five Coasters at TP which I say can give elements of airtime, two very easily, one is noticed if you are awake on the ride. Someone the other day provided an example (not Merlin) that provided airtime on a bunny hop brake hill therefore qualifying it, but ignoriing it's 300' drop lacking it due to the twist and restraint. Therefore I'd say a lot is in the perception of the rider. Enjoy each ride for what it gives you, as you cannot change the coaster, but you can change how you sit, allow the restraint to be fastened and how one braces.

8 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Halloween is without a doubt, my least favourite time of year at theme parks. Nothing could interest me less then a bunch of dressed up students ignoring me too make some girls scream in a maze, or the park over run with people in the dark looking to make trouble.

The only really good thing about the Halloween trips is the night riding... Some great memories of 8pm Nemesis in the rain...

Also a fright night related one!!

I actually found Se7en to be one of the best mazes in the events history!! The amount of people that didn’t seem to like it to me was unreal. Yes, it wasn’t the chaotic crazy maze The Asylum was and wasn’t the jumpscarefest that Hellgate was and was definitely the weakest maze out of those 3 scares wise. However, it was designed to be disturbing and disgusting and it absolutely nailed that. That to me made it a terrific attraction and still better than most of what’s been at the event since it left by a million miles!!

The “gluttony” and “lust” scenes!! ❤️❤️

Some unpopular-ish opinions ready for Halloween

• The Sanctuary was a mediocre maze and the finale was one of the worst things to grace the industry.. A lacklustre strobe finale with barely any actors, even worse when TOTT was right next to it (has a similar finale but unlike The Sanctuary the finale was actually fun)
  • The Cabin In The Woods in 2015/2016 was one of the worst mazes in Thorpe's history, thank god they scrapped it.
  • Scarefest 2015 and onwards has been consistently better than FN in every way and it seems 2018 will be no different.
  • I want FN to adopt the Scarefest style time slot system

• 8 months later...

Reviving the best topic on TPM for y'all.

1. Winjas at Phantasialand are actually awful rollercoasters, the complete antithesis to Fury and Tarantula. A good ride for me isn't one chock full of gimmicks, its fantastic pacing. These rides at every turn kill momentum with their tricks and I hate them. Fear would be a standout European coaster for me if it didn't keep stopping.

2. The New Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris is objectively better than the previous incarnation. Whilst some have bemoaned the unveiling of the actual story, I don't have a problem with this myself.

3. Port Aventura is only popular because its in a sunny climate. It's a dismal theme park and has IMO the worst park guests out there. Silver Star is only fractionally worse then Shambhala but at least German guests know how to wait in line (and Silver Star runs all three trains...)

4. Checking bars at Europa Park is the worst things thats happened this decade, (I jest, Derren Browns ghost train is)

5. Hyper coasters are the best ride types. Better then gigas and stratas.

5 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Reviving the best topic on TPM for y'all.

1. Winjas at Phantasialand are actually awful rollercoasters, the complete antithesis to Fury and Tarantula. A good ride for me isn't one chock full of gimmicks, its fantastic pacing. These rides at every turn kill momentum with their tricks and I hate them. Fear would be a standout European coaster for me if it didn't keep stopping.

oooh, this is an interesting one.

I wouldn't go as far to say they're awful, but they definitely get more praise than they arguably should (coming from someone who previously has said they're my favourite spinners and top rides). The gimmicks have massive shock value and are completely unexpected. But the second half doesn't compliment the first half at all. It's two very different experiences. And whilst they give you the wtf-factor when you leave the ride, you've completely forgotten about the fun coaster that precedes it, and are left with the memory of a gimmick and a rubbish coaster section.

If the gimmicky stuff happened earlier, or there was more theatrics to the second half the ride, I think it'd be fine.

NB: I enjoy Winjas in their own right. It's a good mid-tier attraction. But they do get over-praised and have their faults swept aside by many.

5 hours ago, Mark9 said:

2. The New Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris is objectively better than the previous incarnation. Whilst some have bemoaned the unveiling of the actual story, I don't have a problem with this myself.

100% agree. I see a lot of people complaining that Melanie is now a bad guy but that is not the story and it really annoys me. Plus the attraction looks so much better in general than when I was last on it in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to beefed things up a little:

1/ Parc Asterix is underrated 

2/ Oziris is the best invert I have ridden 

3/ Infusion is better than Gouderix

4/ Port Aventura and Parc Asterix have the worst theme park food

5/ Monster Party is the most re-rideable (but not necessary the best) madhouse 

6/ Wodan is better than Tonnerre De Zeus

7/ Room On The Broom is actually enjoyable (besides the terrible BBQ queue)

8/ Menhir 4D at Asterix is my favourite 4D cinema 

9/ The best vintage cars Ride is at Parc Asterix 

8 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

*Prepares to get shot at by the Europa Park fanboys 

Mystic Timbers is better than Wodan!! 

Is that an unpopular opinion? Do Americans prefer Wodan over Mystic Timbers? Do Europeans prefer Mystic Timbers over Wodan. I've never heard a conversation where the two come up in direct competition to be honest.