Canada Creek 2018

Matt Collin

So long long time since I have been around but decided to pop myself back into the game.. Some of you may remember me from the Guidesforum days which got renamed SouthParks... wow must be 8 years ago since then.. but anyway my reason for being back is recently back in the Merlin company was working with back in the Tussuads days at Thorpe Park 2007.. 

On topic now I've been hearing a lot of chit chat regarding Loggars Leap scrapped for good reasons stateing Maintenance costs too high and general health and safety concerns for unstable grounds.. The railway I believe will be dug up and completely dismantled its obsolete now to be honest and the Rocky Express to be relocated to Chessington or sold..

No exact news on the re theme project but with closures of Loggars leaves Canada Creek aka Old Town now is tired and run down.. I believe rumours have been suggested that Minisitry of Sound has been noted as a sponsor for a new area like Angry Birds did or even Lionsgate expanding on the Saw Island 

Loggars though I know will not return it's pretty much confirmed 

But anyway discuss ahead I look forward to seeing your replies 

I think that loggers will be announced as permanently closed after its left to rot once again in 2017 then it will be removed and be replaced by a GCI or RMC wooden coaster

Rocky will be removed and replaced by a small ride

The rest of CCR will be dug up and station demolished to let construction on the Woodie begin 

Also the area will get a repaint because its currently in a state

Think... 

A Woodie at Thorpe neeeever going to happen do you know how much one of those is let alone the Maintenance. Woodies require special attention daily checks of screws and bolts etc and lot of care and attention.. Merlin will not waste valuable money or time on a outdated coaster... again issues with sound and height restrictions apply.. 

Classic Example is Alton Towers Mr JW was hinting a woodie for ages but won't ever happen I'm afraid...

Like I said Loggars will be replaced with what I do not know at the moment 

If Thorpe were to get a wooden coaster, I think an RMC hybrid would be the best to put in. They could design it to be thrilling, but more so a ride for those who aren't quite tall enough for the big 5, and aren't really interested in the family flats.

Loggers won't return. Thorpe have been saying on social media that they have no plans for it to go anywhere yet, but I somehow think otherwise. It'll be left in the same condition as this year and then they'll eventually decide to remove it.

Id love it to be an RMC woodie, although I feel like it would be more likely that it would be the topper track 75/25 woodie track rather then the Full steel IBOX track that they do. Only because literally the IBOX has only ever been used in refurbs in rides whereas the topper track has only ever been used in unique creations, doesn't mean they cant use the IBOX but I think if it were to be one or the other it would be the topper track. Although I kind of feel that knowing of Merlin's past of buying in bulk (like with the wing and dive coasters) , that the chance is quite high that Thorpe will get a GCI too but, hey I wouldn't complain either way! Both are fab :D 

Sadly it's highly imminent that Loggers is dead and given the work done and the way the park are reacting to this, it's now just a lifeless structure of a ince great ride awaiting removal.

Its safe to say through the years Canada Creek has been draining inside, which started with the closure of Trappers Trail in 2000, Calgary Stampede in 2003 and more recently the railway in 2011. This closure marks the last nail in the coffin for Canada Creek.

The remaining area now just feels completely lifeless, wasted and abandoned (bar Fright Nights) and I feel the area as a whole is now awaiting demolition for the next big thing, which will likely result in the sad removal of Rocky Express and the surrounding area being demolished.

Given updated regulations of filtered water, it's highly unlikely we will ever see another flume/water ride on the site, and I would expect/like to see either a GCI or RMC style coaster as a replacement. The former may be the more likely, given Merlin's strategy of multiple buying, but the latter is also a possibility given the marketing, ground setting and could be the only operating one in Europe (if a certain Swedish park's does not reopen).

This topic just shows what geniuses Merlin are when it comes to marketing:

1. Close a ride a year early and say it's for maintenance reasons, and fans will remain hopeful for the remainder of the year.
  2. Leave it for just enough time that fans suddenly realise nothing is happening, rant that it's closing, and begin speculating about replacements.
  3. Replace the ride fuss-free, since everyone's vented and no one has any hope in Loggers Leap anymore.

I think it'd be a huge shame to lose Canada Creek as an area to (let's face it, it probably would be) an IP.  In its prime CC had a really good atmosphere, I miss the days of hearing the western music playing out across the area (and in the BBQ) and it was a very different feel to the rest of Thorpe.

It would be another dent in the overall atmosphere of Thorpe IMO, and whilst I understand that things have to progress, I feel that the IP's are sucking the soul out of the park.

3 hours ago, Olivus Prime said:

This topic just shows what geniuses Merlin are when it comes to marketing:

1. Close a ride a year early and say it's for maintenance reasons, and fans will remain hopeful for the remainder of the year.
  2. Leave it for just enough time that fans suddenly realise nothing is happening, rant that it's closing, and begin speculating about replacements.
  3. Replace the ride fuss-free, since everyone's vented and no one has any hope in Loggers Leap anymore.

I don't think they care whether people liked Loggers or not, and they've proven that they're happy to lie to the public.

If I had to choose one thing to get rid of with Merlin, it'd be IPs. 

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Matt Collin said:

Classic Example is Alton Towers Mr JW was hinting a woodie for ages but won't ever happen I'm afraid.

Not kept up with Towers news nowadays? That's okay, we all like different parks.

I don't see why people are talking about the loss of Canada Creek in future tense, when it hasn't technically existed for the past 2 seasons; it's technically Old Town now...

Don't get why they'd remove Rocky Express either.  It just needs something else near it for it to sustain a bit more popularity, and it's not exactly like it's not running well.  And it takes up so little space it's not exactly like it's removal would create space for anything of any substance.

Probably in the minority who wouldn't want an RMC in the Loggers location though - would much rather something a bit more family friendly, so that there's something in that area which is for everyone.

27 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

I don't see why people are talking about the loss of Canada Creek in future tense, when it hasn't technically existed for the past 2 seasons; it's technically Old Town now...

Did anything actually change during the changeover though, apart from Loggers becoming SBNO (and the name)?  I know that things like the music has changed/gone, but as an area, it hasn't exactly been redeveloped.

11 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Did anything actually change during the changeover though, apart from Loggers becoming SBNO (and the name)?  I know that things like the music has changed/gone, but as an area, it hasn't exactly been redeveloped.

Nothing's really changed as of yet.  They've likely got a vision for the future of what they want to do to that area (and the others); to me, it feels more like a potential evolution of Canada Creek rather than a retheme (ie - change the name and keep the same generic theme to reduce costs).

But my point is that Canada Creek, technically, no longer exists.  It's now Old Town, and that's it's direction...hopefully

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree - so many of my childhood memories of Thorpe Park (which was my favourite place for many years) are purely of Loggers Leap! However, I do agree that it was looking incredibly tired the last time I rode it. In the most ideal world I would have it replaced with an updated water ride, still based around the Canada theme. It worked so well in that area with the trees and the lake. I've not been to Thorpe Park for so long, (early 2012 was my last visit I think), but the saddest part is that I haven't missed it at all. 10 or so years ago I would have made it a priority to visit every couple of months, but the fact I haven't been for nearly 5 years without really realising says a lot about where the park has gone in my estimations. 

A good theme park, for me, regardless of target market or audience, is all about balance. The best theme parks in the world for me have a perfect balance when it comes to the rides that they offer. This means in a park with 20 attractions let's say, 7 should be coasters, 4 water rides, and 7 flats, and 2 shows/experiences. I'm sure many will disagree, but the point is a nice balance between ride types. Removing Loggers Leap will leave 3 water rides (well, last time I rode Rumba Rapids I wouldn't really class it as a water ride... is that thing still running??). 4 if you include Depth Charge, which I don't. What the park needs is a really strongly themed water ride, whether a flume or a water coaster, that utilises the space and theming that Canada Creek held so well. Whether wooden or not, in my opinion, Thorpe just doesn't need another coaster. 

I visit Towers a lot more regularly and the closure of the Flume is another sad situation. Although yes, the flume was incredibly poorly themed and tired, I would have got rid of it but replaced it with an exciting, well themed water ride, not a coaster. Towers is definitely lacking a seriously good water ride. 

Thinking about it Chessington only has Dragon Falls and The Gruffalo - do Merlin just not like water rides? Personally it's my favourite type of ride at a theme park. 

It will be a shame to see Canada Creek go, but lets face it, it  has been a long time coming, anyone will agree with that to be honest.

Shame too, as the theming whilst now slightly outdated, is incredible and brings a dynamic theme to the site!

Should it get sponsored like the land of Angry Birds though, I do hope it involves something exciting!