Coco

Do Thorpe Park have any kind of carpooling scheme for staff?

Question

Hiya,

So I can't drive yet, I'm having lessons soon but that's all. Back in November I was telling my family about really wanting to work at Thorpe Park for most of my life and they said why don't you apply then? I said I want to but not being able to drive makes getting there difficult (2 and a half hour journey using public transport and nothing seems to get there before 9:15am). They said I should apply anyhow so I did, I didn't expect to get invited for an interview but I have been.

Chances of them offering me a job after the interview are fairly slim I would imagine, but on the small chance they did, does anyone know if they have some sort of carpooling or transport scheme for employees? I'd be so afraid that turning the job down because I can't get there would mean they would never consider me again in the future :(

10 answers to this question

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any carpooling schemes for Thorpe Park staff that I am aware of sadly.

The nearest and best thing here would be the buses, the main one being the Thorpe Park Express runs fairly regularly between Staines and the park. You can find times and information Here

Alternatively the 446 and 461 bus routes also travel between the park and Staines and may be worth a look.

As far as transport is concerned, Thorpe is quite easy to access.

Coco likes this

Thanks for your reply :3 I've been looking at buses and stuff, it would be alright if they ran earlier than advertised, as many seem to get there at good times for visitors but staff would need to be there earlier I would imagine.

I live in Aylesbury so going by car has always just taken about an hour, not too bad. Public transport sucks though. The easiest journey would be Aylesbury train to Rickmansworth and then bus, but the bus timetable says it arrives at Thorpe at 9:43am at the earliest, which is surely too late :(

Then there's getting a train to Staines, which involves going into London, using the underground and then onto a train that heads to Staines, costing around £40+ for a return.

Sort of wish my family hadn't encouraged me to apply now because it's looking like I'll have to turn up to the interview and just apologise that I wouldn't even be able to get there for work until I can drive T_T

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any carpooling schemes for Thorpe Park staff that I am aware of sadly.

The nearest and best thing here would be the buses, the main one being the Thorpe Park Express runs fairly regularly between Staines and the park. You can find times and information Here

Alternatively the 446 and 456 bus routes also travel between the park and Staines and may be worth a look.

As far as transport is concerned, Thorpe is quite easy to access.

Its a 446 and 461 that run from thorpe to Staines

Sent by David B viq Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply :3 I've been looking at buses and stuff, it would be alright if they ran earlier than advertised, as many seem to get there at good times for visitors but staff would need to be there earlier I would imagine.

I live in Aylesbury so going by car has always just taken about an hour, not too bad. Public transport sucks though. The easiest journey would be Aylesbury train to Rickmansworth and then bus, but the bus timetable says it arrives at Thorpe at 9:43am at the earliest, which is surely too late

Then there's getting a train to Staines, which involves going into London, using the underground and then onto a train that heads to Staines, costing around £40+ for a return.

Sort of wish my family hadn't encouraged me to apply now because it's looking like I'll have to turn up to the interview and just apologise that I wouldn't even be able to get there for work until I can drive T_T

Sullivan Buses run a 951 one journey each way from Watford and Rickmansworth to thorpe. Info on there website.

I would double check that its correct because I have two different timetables for the 950 in the past for the same dates.

20 hours ago, David B said:

Sullivan Buses run a 951 one journey each way from Watford and Rickmansworth to thorpe. Info on there website.

I would double check that its correct because I have two different timetables for the 950 in the past for the same dates.

Thanks for your replies too :3

Yeah the 951 is my only option really, as the route from Aylesbury to Staines is just really expensive and I'd pretty much not be making any money at all because of that. Whereas Aylesbury to Rickmansworth on a train and then catching the 951 Sullivan bus is more affordable. It's just fairly unreliable since it says it only runs once per day, doesn't arrive at Thorpe until 9:43am earliest and doesn't run at all on Sundays. It really comes down to what times they want employees in, as I could do 10am until 6pm, but if they needed me in for 9am it's just not possible :(

My careers advisor said to me I shouldn't be diving into full time work yet anyway because it might be too much for me (I suffer from anxiety and depression) and could hinder rather than help if I end up feeling trapped. She recommended I do anything up to 16 hours. I don't know if Thorpe would let me do that or not to be honest. 

David B likes this

The best thing to do would be to ask them. I'm not sure how it works with Merlin but they might have part time positions available if it's something like a seasonal work that you've gone for.

David B likes this

Thanks everyone for your replies. I had my interview today, wasn't sure if I'd make it because my rabbit died yesterday afternoon :(

(He was a house rabbit who was allowed to free roam, he went off his food and the vet said to take him to their hospital the next day to get a good look at his teeth, despite looking himself and saying they looked fine but he said he wanted to be sure. We did as they said and dropped him off in the morning, got a call in the afternoon (5 hours later) to say they'd only just gone to get him to begin and found him dead. Didn't offer any insight as to how and why he died, we're guessing heart attack from being so scared :( we even told the vet who took him from us to keep an eye on him because he gets very stressed and upset at the vets, but I guess they didn't heed that. He was probably just left on his own for hours, scared stiff! He was only 2 years old, far too young to die, so we're very upset and angry atm.)

Anyway I still went, as I didn't want to cancel on the day. Everyone was lovely and the guy who interviewed me just explained that they have pretty flexible hours so there might be something to suit me. It was my first ever interview so I probably don't stand a chance, but I tried my best so that's all I can do. I guess I'll just have to apply again another time if I don't get offered a job.