2017 Season General Discussion

Marc

The burnt tree stumps on Rumba don't look great, like they've had a fire or something. I know its supposed to be volcano theming which also explains the rumbling noises and red lit waterfall. Also the new Donut Factory music is definately not annoying in any way. :rolleyes: Can imagine the staff will feel like this in Novemeber:

I spent my day walking round the park and the coasters that were open seemed to all be on 2 trains, I only got on saw and x but they were both running well. At the start of the day X was on 4 trains and the queue moved surprisingly quickly but when I rode it later on it seemed that a train had been taken off as there were moments where there wasn't even a train in the station.

Seems really great to see the park investing in tidying up on some of the family attractions that perhaps fell to disrepair under the 'thrill' market idea. And they've done well with Weymouth ditching their rides. Any updates on the Frog Hopper?

Having visited on opening day, it was pretty abysmal. There's large sections of the park that are looking dirty, that I'm hoping they're working to clean up - finding a 2016 entry ticket in the Inferno station queue line was impressive for example. The other thing that makes me squirm a little, is the security check. Yes, I understand and respect fully the reasons behind it; but it was painfully slow on opening day. I think this is something that perhaps needs looking into and improving as it's not a great start today to be queuing for a substantial time to enter, especially when you look at parks who've had it for years (Disney, Six Flags etc.) maybe they need to take some ideas to improve the initial experience.

On 25/03/2017 at 2:38 PM, Coaster said:

How is capacity on the coasters today?

Ermmm well...put it this way. Saturday was the first time I've made a complaint at guest services ;) 

Inferno started on 1 train, then when it became apparent that there were a LOT more guests than they budgeted for, they added the second. Swarm was also on 2. So that was the good side of things...

No idea about Saw but it had a 75 minute queue at one point (and I think it stayed pretty long for most of the day)...Colossus was on one train which meant even fast track had a 45 minute queue...Stealth was on one BUT we weren't expecting it to be open so maybe I'll let them off, even if it was one of the longest, worst queueing experiences of my life :lol: But that was mainly due to me feeling sick!

On 25/03/2017 at 4:17 PM, Jack said:

At the start of the day X was on 4 trains and the queue moved surprisingly quickly but when I rode it later on it seemed that a train had been taken off as there were moments where there wasn't even a train in the station.

X was weird - we went on it at about 10:30, no queue outside and pretty empty inside, but there was quite a gap between each train...when we got back outside, there was an external queue and they announced that it was 60 minutes! 

Oh and Rush still only had one swing working :( 

I know people will harp on about how the park was busier than they anticipated, but that is no excuse. Why wasn't the second train ready on Colossus? Why was X not running at full capacity? As for Stealth, I'm really hoping they only opened on one train so they could hurry up and get it open, and not because the other one isn't ready!

5 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I have an annual pass but my friend hasn't - does anyone know if he can wait in the annual pass queue with me and get in a little earlier?

A friend has got in with me before, but from what I remember on those days the annual pass holders were let in the same time as the GP so it wasn't really too big a deal.

The opening weekend was unacceptable. If I had bought a digipass, I would have complained about all the rides apart from Stealth not having any ride photos available. Also if I had paid extra for fast-track on Colossus, I would have complained about having to wait a further 45 mins. People come to the park from far away buying entry and paying more for extras which the park completely failed to deliver on at the weekend.

What annoyed me was that it wasn't as busy as fright nights but the queues were still terrible.

I understand that there will be a lot of trainees at the start of the season but I had expected all of the maintenance to have been done by now over the closed period.

Even though it was frustrating, I was completely fine with the security checks on everyone at the weekend considering there had just been a major terrorist attack meters away from their London attractions. I imagine they decided to step up security on short notice.

Isn't this the same thing that happens every. single. year? I used to always be on park opening weekend, until I got tired of poor operations becoming 'acceptable' because it's opening day. It isn't acceptable and that is no excuse. I didn't visit at all last year, because since I dropped paying for an annual pass, my visits depend on ride availability.. as their new ride was closed more than it was open, I didn't bother to visit at all. Opening day is always a no go, for all the Merlin attractions. I'm not going on an off peak day to find the queues are packed out because of closed rides and/or one train operations.

On 29 March 2017 at 0:57 AM, Stuntman707 said:

Also if I had paid extra for fast-track on Colossus, I would have complained about having to wait a further 45 mins

Even though it was frustrating, I was completely fine with the security checks on everyone at the weekend considering there had just been a major terrorist attack meters away from their London attractions. I imagine they decided to step up security on short notice.

Back in 2014 I reluctantly bought fast track for Colossus because it was so busy and I'd hardly been on any rides - was at least a 45 min queue which was frustrating - but the main queue was well over 90 mins so in that respect it halved the queuing time.

As for security - understandable that they have it in place but it sure slows things down - would be great if they had more security points to speed up the process.   Last Friday I went to CWOA in the morning and Thorpe in the afternoon - bag check at Chessie was pretty thorough but not so much at Thorpe.  But at TP they have those scanner things you walk through but not at CWOA (that I noticed, or went through)

11 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

Anyone want to confirm whether Rhumba Rapids is rougher this year?

Also how annoying is the new water cannons that squirt you halfway round!!!

You do actually get wet this year, I came off on Sunday absolutely drenched. For me the cannons haven't been too annoying but I do have some friends who went on Friday and they told me the cannons got them quite wet 

Just now, Josh3103 said:

You do actually get wet this year, I came off on Sunday absolutely drenched. For me the cannons haven't been too annoying but I do have some friends who went on Friday and they told me the cannons got them quite wet 

Yes we came off totally drenched as well - almost as much as Tidal wave!!! Never got wet on it before...

Oh well gives pleasant reminders of loggers I suppose :-)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic