Stuff that "Triggers You as"/"Makes You Cringe at" an Enthusiast

Charlesberg

31 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

For me its people who compare everything to Disney like its the best thing since sliced bread.

The GP seem to view Disney with rose coloured glasses, they seem to forget about the overcrowding, long queues, overpriced crap, and how the park really is no different from the same crap we experience at your average theme park.

BLASPHEMY!! 😮

Nah I can see your point. Don't get me wrong some rides they have given us have been straight up masterpieces but people do sometimes seem to forget they have also given us their fair share of duds......

The long lines and crowds are also a major pain but each time I go to a Disney park, I just resign myself to the fact I'm going to have to deal with long lines.

12 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

For me its people who compare everything to Disney like its the best thing since sliced bread.

The GP seem to view Disney with rose coloured glasses, they seem to forget about the overcrowding, long queues, overpriced crap, and how the park really is no different from the same crap we experience at your average theme park.

Man, if 'typical average theme park' had things like Everest, Galaxys Edge and Pandora, how awesome would theme park enthusiasts truly have it!

As a regular DLP visitor, going from there to Thorpe you do really notice how dirty and tatty the buildings and rides in some cases are in Thorpe. Of course I realize its a park/company on a completely different scale, but you still can't help going to Thorpe and seeing how grotty it is by contrast lol and its ok to mention it as there aren't really that many excuses for it to be so unkempt.

I'll caveat this comment by saying that, like others have said, I agree DLP has a lot of issues itself with overcrowding, long queues in peak times etc so no rose tinted glasses here.

Think a key thing with parks is how they deal with overcrowding, a well designed and operated park can even on the busiest days be a pleasant day out for everyone. Disney are very good at this, as providing alternative forms of entertainment and pushing throughputs are two key solutions to the problem.

They are the pinnacle mind, shortly followed by Universal (in terms of big business quality). The problem is however that whilst our continental brethren have pushed forward in additions and once small parks have become big players over the last few years, the UK has stagnated. Possibly on the back of heavy expansion in the 90s and being a leading player then. But now it's a bit sad and depressing. Paultons being about the only bright spark currently.

When small independent parks like Toverland or groups like Plopsa are adding well themed and decent quality additions we get a dark ride that wasn't even planned for Towers, the third/fourth retheme of flats at Chessie and Thorpe have nothing. 

All parks should aspire to be like the pinnacle. They can't, but operations wise it's bloody easy to.

26 minutes ago, Benin said:

we get a dark ride that wasn't even planned for Towers,

This is probably a post for the Walliams thread, but...

I've seen / heard people moan about this elsewhere, and it's something I don't get. Sure, the ride system may not necessarily have been planned for Towers, but clearly the ride experience itself will have been. Sure, it's a bit forced and maybe not what was originally planned, but I don't think that reallllllly makes a difference to anyone when it comes down to it, because it's highly unlikely that it will feel like 'this ride wasn't planned for this park' when you're on the ride...hopefully.

Not a rant or trigger or anything, just something I don't think is a problem.

I would say the issue lies in it feeling like they're fitting a randomly spare ride system and cobbling together something; rather than designing something completely ground up and unique for the park.

Or the theme came first and they were struggling to fit into the limited budget when someone found a spare dark ride down back of sofa in Poole.

It's just... Weird. Like half the new additions to parks have been nicked from Sea-Lifes!

I think good crowd controlling in parks comes down to (but not limited to):

• Major rides/attractions with decent capacity/operations 
  • Sufficient support attractions such as flat rides and other attractions within close proximity 
  • Balanced consistency of shows and entertainment 
  • Design and layout of footpaths and locations 
  • Tactical ways of moving around guests 

Over the last 5-10 years we have easily seen many parks go either way when it comes to handling crowds. Some have improved their infrastructure and layouts which improved how they handle crowds, whilst others have striped back on theirs leading to them coping worse when they get busy.

1 hour ago, Wicker Matt said:

I think good crowd controlling in parks comes down to (but not limited to):

• Major rides/attractions with decent capacity/operations 
  • Sufficient support attractions such as flat rides and other attractions within close proximity 
  • Balanced consistency of shows and entertainment 
  • Design and layout of footpaths and locations 
  • Tactical ways of moving around guests 

Over the last 5-10 years we have easily seen many parks go either way when it comes to handling crowds. Some have improved their infrastructure and layouts which improved how they handle crowds, whilst others have striped back on theirs leading to them coping worse when they get busy.

You also have to play into effect guest security has become a major factor over the past 10 years.

11 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Man, if 'typical average theme park' had things like Everest, Galaxys Edge and Pandora, how awesome would theme park enthusiasts truly have it!

In the 'typical average theme park' comment I meant

• Being completely minted of any money you ever had in your pocket
  • Feeling constantly like a cattle in a cattle pen
  • Some rides that really aren't much different from something at your local fair (but for $100!)

Disney are great, but IMO there is parks that do things on a similar if not better scale to them. If I was given the choice between most Disney parks and Europa- I would choose Europa in a heartbeat. I didn't feel much magic, or even much immersion in their parks. Everest is brilliant but I never felt the parks are magical or immersive as a whole, but that is my controversial opinion. 

Not liking/hating a ride purely because it's "overhyped"/ "overrated"

Never was able to wrap my head around this one. Usually when it comes to me not liking a ride, it's down to things that are the fault of the ride. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its not a rides fault if people hype it up too much. Nemesis and Millennium force being the two main examples I can think of in terms of coasters that fall victim to this.

It just comes across that those that do this usually are just basing their own opinions off of somebody else's judgement.

The, reasonably reliable, rumour floating around is that the ride hardware was originally bought for a midway attraction somewhere in Europe, but for some reason, didn't happen.

Walliams World was always planned to have a brand new indoor attraction as far as I'm aware, but the plan of what is was exactly changed a few times.

• 4 months later...

This tweet:

image.png.068a2c9f833b1db64c9606f36609a5a4.png

For all we know a park could just be about to go into administration, job losses etc perhaps without the staff even knowing.

But this person wants to create some enthusiast 'clout' just because he works within the industry and hears slightly more information than anyone else.

People who hate on fastrack users 

Yes. I personally am not keen on paid for fastrack but we got to accept that it is very much the norm at most parks now and when it brings in a fair bit for the parks, there is simply no way it's going anywhere any time soon.

If a guest however wants to pay their hard earned money to cut the lines to maximise their own enjoyment on a day out, then its their prerogative. Their money,their decision. Simple as that.

I can think of more dishonest ways to cut the queues ;)