So Sod it, I've never been and think its about time I took myself off to Orlando - the home of theme parks! 

Basically I just want some advice from those that have been. Core park essentials for me are to do all the Disney parks (although possibly excluding the water parks/ the water parks aren't a priority) and Universal studios and Islands of Adventure.  BONUS parks would be seaworld and BUCSH Gardens! but Id rather spend multiple days at the other parks to get all the the attractions done than fitting too much in/rushing!

So in terms of where to stay - where is the best to do a Disney and Universal combo? Can you stay at a Disney hotel and easily get to the Universal parks?

How long would I need? budget wise 2 weeks is prob max - Hense why I'm thinking about limiting parks BUT IF anyone things 2 weeks IS realistic to fit ALL parks including seaworld & Busch gardens in..... let me know!

What time of year to go to avoid the crowds/public holidays with REASONABLE weather - I don't care about it being hot or anything! I don't even mind it being cold as long as its reasonably dry! 

Any good websites to use to book flights hotel and Park tickets? or agents to go to? 

Any ££ saving tips? deals? 

OH - and if anyone wants to join me - open invite

September is good as it is the middle of the Summer and Halloween crowds (and you can still experience Halloween events), alternatively before/after Spring Break/Easter...

2 weeks is PLENTY of time to go and do every park in the area (don't forget Fun Spot and Legoland)... 14 days to do 10 parks? Easy peasy...

Everything else is budget based, stay on site has advantages and disadvantages depending on which side, hire car would probably help matters though regardless of choice... Off-site there's MILLIONS of hotels and the majority have shuttle buses to the parks (or a taxi)...

Pretty much all the parks can be done in a day with good planning (or Universal Express passes if staying on-site)...

Staying on International drive may be your best bet then (close to the parks, lots of restaurants, shops bars etc), most hotels do free buses to Universal and there's an I-trolley service that goes up and down international drive. It's also quite central to the parks, the hotel I stayed at (Rosenn Inn at Pointe Orlando) is 10 mins from Universal, 20 mins from Disney and 5 mins from Seaworld. They also provide a paid minibus service to Disney and taxi services. 

You may want to skip the waterparks but they do provide a good 'break day' from walking around the parks all day. 2 weeks is plenty of time but it depends how many rest days you want. Parks aren't too busy early September so you should be able to fit everything in. 

For park tickets I would recommend attraction tickets direct, I've always used them and they've had the best offers. Last year I used British Airways to book flights/hotel and they accidentally knocked £1000 off the total price meaning we only paid like £300 each, so for that I'd always recommend them :P

There's a stupid amount of restaurants on International Drive which will cater for all tastes and budgets.

Early September is probably best time to go, quieter parks and you can hit the Halloween events.

There's plenty of vlogs and blogs about too with tips on a first time visit to Orlando.

Some helpful links:

http://www.iridetrolley.com/

http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

https://orlandoinformer.com/universal

https://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/

P.S. We may possibly be looking at doing a TPM trip to Orlando in 2018 ;) 

I will just throw this out there, not that it bothers me but it does bother some people. The weather in September can be pretty crazy, even for Florida standards, as it is peak hurricane season. All this actually means is regular thunder storms almost at set times that obviously close any outdoor ride/attraction or entire water parks :) But yeah September is good, if not, first two weeks of December! In between Thanksgiving and the crazy Christmas crowds, weather is more sensible and you get the Christmas stuff.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Staying on International drive may be your best bet then (close to the parks, lots of restaurants, shops bars etc), most hotels do free buses to Universal and there's an I-trolley service that goes up and down international drive. It's also quite central to the parks, the hotel I stayed at (Rosenn Inn at Pointe Orlando) is 10 mins from Universal, 20 mins from Disney and 5 mins from Seaworld. They also provide a paid minibus service to Disney and taxi services. 

You may want to skip the waterparks but they do provide a good 'break day' from walking around the parks all day. 2 weeks is plenty of time but it depends how many rest days you want. Parks aren't too busy early September so you should be able to fit everything in. 

For park tickets I would recommend attraction tickets direct, I've always used them and they've had the best offers. Last year I used British Airways to book flights/hotel and they accidentally knocked £1000 off the total price meaning we only paid like £300 each, so for that I'd always recommend them :P

There's a stupid amount of restaurants on International Drive which will cater for all tastes and budgets.

Early September is probably best time to go, quieter parks and you can hit the Halloween events.

There's plenty of vlogs and blogs about too with tips on a first time visit to Orlando.

Some helpful links:

http://www.iridetrolley.com/

http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

https://orlandoinformer.com/universal

https://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/

P.S. We may possibly be looking at doing a TPM trip to Orlando in 2018 ;) 

Thanks for all the great advice - TBH by the time I get things in place it would probably be 2018 anyway - so I might wait it out:)

1 hour ago, Mitchada04 said:

I will just throw this out there, not that it bothers me but it does bother some people. The weather in September can be pretty crazy, even for Florida standards, as it is peak hurricane season. All this actually means is regular thunder storms almost at set times that obviously close any outdoor ride/attraction or entire water parks :) But yeah September is good, if not, first two weeks of December! In between Thanksgiving and the crazy Christmas crowds, weather is more sensible and you get the Christmas stuff.

Thanks! as with all  things 'you can't have everything' - so weather might be a compromise - especially as so many attractions are indoor attractions.

After going last year all I would say is DO NOT use the lynx bus systems, everyone tells you its so easy yady yada they are TERRIBLE! We looked into it and despite it being a long ass bus journey it was going to save us some dollars got on the bus and the driver was about as enthusiastic as victor meldrew and wasn't helpful at all when trying to explain we wanted to go the Disney presented him with a $10 note all we had was notes as just arrived and he goes coins or get of the bus! Charming!

As much as the paid for taxi to Disney costs it makes life so much more easier and you don't have to deal with moody bus drivers.

We stayed at Disney All Star Sports resort and funnily enough they don't make it easy for you to get to Universal ;) We investigated buses but it seemed a right faff so we just thought sod it, we're on holiday anyway so we got a taxi to and from Universal for our 2 trips!

The Disney buses and transportation system are amazing - we went to The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue at Ford Wilderness - which is literally in the back end of no-where on the resort - and we were made a right fuss of and looked after by the bus driver heading back as they had to take a diversion due to an accident. Can't wait to go back to Orlando but I suppose Disney & Disney Sea Japan this November will have to do ;)

52 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

We stayed at Disney All Star Sports resort and funnily enough they don't make it easy for you to get to Universal ;) We investigated buses but it seemed a right faff so we just thought sod it, we're on holiday anyway so we got a taxi to and from Universal for our 2 trips!

I'm sure that they would try to dissuade clients from leaving the resort.

The parks will always be busier at the weekends, so that's a good time to go to Kennedy and especially the Orlando Science Center. You have to remember that the Orlando the tourist sees is quite remote from the city centre.

If you are a Merlin pass holder they now have three new establishments, together off of I-Drive (International Drive).

Busch Gardens is great and certainly didn't appear to cause unnecessary distress to the animals, and they are one of the oldest and largest "zoological" establishments in the States https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgarde ... re-center/ . Great layout and fantastic rides. There is a free shuttle bus from Orlando with pre-paid tickets.

The Disney parks are massive and each have their own major rides. Single rider queues operate in many different parks, and if only one or two of your group fancy trying a ride, this is a good way of dealing with that in a quicker way. There are some free links from around I-drive to Disney so make enquiries at other hotels, if your hotel doesn't do it.

Enjoy your time.

4 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

The Disney buses and transportation system are amazing - we went to The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue at Ford Wilderness - which is literally in the back end of no-where on the resort - and we were made a right fuss of and looked after by the bus driver heading back as they had to take a diversion due to an accident. Can't wait to go back to Orlando but I suppose Disney & Disney Sea Japan this November will have to do ;)

Ahhh Tokyo - you see I'm also tossing up whether to do an Asian Disney trip as apposed to Orlando - most people say you MUST start with Florida (although I have done Paris). I've read a few guides/blogs on how to do Shanghai, HK and Tokyo in one trip in just over a week..... I'm DESPARATE to visit Shanghai for Pirates, Tron etc, HK (for Mystic Mansion) and Tokyo Disneysea! Also Tokyo Universal still has a jaws ride (which is now defunct in Orlando)! 

It's a hard call......

I'm flying out on Monday. Staying at Lake Buena Vista Resort. They offer free transfer buses to the parks although Uber is uber cheap (pun intended??). The apartment cost me £1800 for two weeks. Disney / Universal tickets were something like £600 for 14 days. Flights were £1100 (fly drive for two) and we're taking £2500 spending money for two.

Not doing Seaworld or Busch, or Discovery Cove, although we're having a day at Clearwater and also seeing Muse whilst we're out there.

It's perfectly doable on a smaller budget and I recommend joining It's Orlando Time on Facebook for great hints, tips and deals. 

Forgot to add, we've got one night at Art Of Animation too as we found a cracking deal a few days ago and couldn't resist. Something like £110 for the night reduced from almost £400!

Edited by Gary
Added more Disney magic