Phantasialand July 2017

As part of a music tour, I was finally able to visit this theme park everyone raved about. Annoyingly, we only got about 5 hours at the park and it was very busy. But we were able to get on many rides at the park so I will talk about the rides in the order I rode them roughly.

Taron:

The queue was about 70-80 minutes long, but when I saw the amount of people there it was actually quite impressive that they could deal with that many people. The queue was constantly moving which was much appreciated. With regards to the actual ride itself, it was pretty good, but not as good as I expected. The beginning launch followed by the over-bank followed by the airtime hill and the second launch were the highlights, however everything else just felt a bit too predictable. It is still top 10 material and my favourite ride at the park but being brutally honest, I actually slightly prefer Cheetah Hunt. Despite that, I still thought it was the best ride in the park.

Black Mamba:

So we got tired of waiting and purchased a fastpass which allowed us to skip the lines on 4 rides (they don't work in Klugheim for some reason). We walked straight on into a very very dark station, I still wonder how the staff even work in there. After riding it, I pretty much had the same opinion as everyone else: better than Nemesis Inferno, not as good as Nemesis. Nevertheless, I still had a blast on it and the rolls as well as the curves were surprisingly good.

Talocan:

I was told by multiple people that this ride was an intense experience that one cannot prepare for, that turned out to be a lie. It was a decent fun ride but it wasn't that intense which did leave me slightly disappointed. But I will praise the theming and presentation of the ride, the way there were peek holes and platforms to view the ride was convenient. But taking out the intense factor, I enjoyed the fact that I was riding a top spin that was actually comfortable and exposed you more.

Chiapas:

I'll just say this, this did immediately become my favourite log flume. Firstly, it was well themed but also, each drop was a completely different experience: regular drop, backwards drop then an extremely large drop with a fairly large hill. Hopefully this sets a bar for log flumes in the future and that they are as good as this.

Mystery Castle:

Despite how busy the park was, this ride clearly didn't reflect that. My first ride said 20mins, waited about 10mins. My second ride said 15mins and it turned out to be a walk on. I rode it twice because the first time my friend didn't want to ride it the first time but after riding it once, I convinced him it wasn't that bad (and it actually wasn't). My first ride I found to be underwhelming and tame so I was left dissapointed. But my second ride with my friend was actually fun, it felt like the ride system became more forceful which I know wouldn't have happened but it felt like it.

Winjas Fear:

Because the amount of time we had and as this was using up our last fasspass, I only got to ride Fear. But unlike some of the other rides, this was much better than I expected. This was probably due to the fact that the only images I saw where of the section that the public can see and that I thought it was the whole ride. There was so much to it with track tilts, etc. which were just so much fun. Plus, whenever it felt like it was nearly over, suddenly there's another track tilt or drop to extend the ride a bit more.

Raik:

As I had ridden Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, my expectations were not very high at all. But much like with Winjas Fear, it was actually pretty good. The first drop was alright, the elements were decent, the point where it goes under some planks made the ride feel bigger. Phantasialand do seem to do family coasters brilliantly, I'll give them that.

Colorado Adventure:

This was our last ride of the day and we decided to go at the back to make it worth while. Much like the last 2 coasters, this exceeded my expectations. But I actually thought it was brilliant. There was actually decent airtime on the first hill and because it was one of those single bars for two people, I felt like I was been literally launched out of my seat. Plus, it was long which is something I appreciate. This is also now my favourite mine train.

I did really enjoy this park, I thought the theming was brilliant and the ride collections was pretty good as well. However, there was quite a bit I missed out on due to the time we had such as Winjas Force, Temple of the Night Hawk (I forgot that even existed), Maus au Chocolat, River Quest plus more I probably don't care about so I'll be sure to ride them next time I go, and me being an enthusiast, I will spend more than 5 hours there.

But overall, it was a great experience and is on my top 10 list of theme parks.

Those are some strong words about the mighty Taron there, you better pray Cheetah Hunt is that good!

I much prefer Nemesis Inferno to Black Mamba, clearly I'm not "everyone else". ;)

You didn't have enough time to get all the credits but you rode stupid Mystery Castle twice?!

Colorado Adventure was awful in my opinion, rough as hell and completely boring.

You missed out big time with Maus as Chocolat, that ride is fantastic!

Intriguing read though. :)

9 hours ago, Mega-Lite said:

Those are some strong words about the mighty Taron there, you better pray Cheetah Hunt is that good!

I've ridden Cheetah Hunt, and thought it was sensational!

9 hours ago, Mega-Lite said:

You didn't have enough time to get all the credits but you rode stupid Mystery Castle twice?!

It was the only ride without much of a queue :)

I never find Raik that good as an actual coaster.  For the complete experience with the theming, effects and interaction with Klugheim, it's good.  But the coaster experience is very average and I preferred Ben 10 in all honesty.

Mystery Castle is highly overrated, I genuinely don't understand why people enjoy it.  Plus the stupid different cycles that run randomly is mind boggling. 

Talocan is like every other top spin in my mind, it just so happens it looks a lot prettier.

It's a shame you couldn't get River Quest or Maus done as they are 2 of the most memorable rides there - at least it gives you an excuse to go back...not that you need one! ;)

Mystery Castle is fab, sometimes a ride is a lot more than the actual, well, ride part... The design of the queue entrance and the indoor queue itself is pretty damn awesome (even with burdenous scare actors in play), plus I adore the ridiculous theatre of the good cycle...

Mamba is great until it decides that doing anything interesting is highly over-rated, it's more of a ride of two halves than Thirteen is!

6 minutes ago, Benin said:

Mystery Castle is fab, sometimes a ride is a lot more than the actual, well, ride part... The design of the queue entrance and the indoor queue itself is pretty damn awesome (even with burdenous scare actors in play), plus I adore the ridiculous theatre of the good cycle...

Don't get me wrong, the theming in the queue is great.  But it never felt like it fit in with the ride to me; it feels very disjointed.  Maybe it's because I've always been on it when it's walk on so have never had time to truly take it in.  But the ride itself is so disappointing anyway that it can't be saved by a good queue. 

I didn't find the good cycle theatrical, but I'be only had it once, so a reride would help in making my mind up there. 

It looks fantastic and extremely intimidating from the outside and the way the external queue line perfectly frames the immense looking tower is genius.

As for the rest...

Didn't think much of the internal queueline. Was expecting to be both scared to death and blown away, I was neither.

The ride itself was even more of a let down. Not a fan of tower rides that push you up and pull you down with no force at all. Show aspect of the main ride too let me down. Not much to look at, not much to look it, oh look some strobe lights, oh it's over.

I've knew of this thing for years before riding it and read countless fans go on about how life changing it is, so maybe that didn't help things. Or the fact it's located in a park with so many fantastic attractions.

I've yet to get to ride River Quest, was down on my visit, I hope that can live up to the honest fear I have about riding it, it looks freaking messed up!!

On 27/07/2017 at 10:13 PM, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

With Winjas Fear and Force, did I make the right choice in going on Fear? (I only had 1 fast pass left so could only do 1).

You definitely chose the right one given the time frames. Fear is the longest of the two and features more fun and exciting elements. Force seemed noticeably shorter for me, even though the trick track is arguably more exciting.

I personally love Taron, not just down to it's layout but whole landscaping and theming throughout? Mamba is great too and I found the rating between Nemy and Inferno to be correct. 

Mystery Castle is certainly a bizarre attraction, as the build up really helps set it up, however the actual ride is a little underwhelming. Experiencing this attraction on a medium queue perhaps offers the best experience.

I like Raik (which may be due to impressive theming again), but do find with junior boomerangs, once you've been on one you've pretty much been on them all. Colorado is an impressive mine coaster. It's not  quite BTM, but is still amazing.

Its a shame you missed out on Maus Au Chocolate and River Quest, as both are equally great  rides in their own ways. Not to mention River Quest did get a hefty retheme this year I believe.

Creds aside, you haven't missed out by not riding Nighthawk as it's literally 10 minutes of a coaster going up three lift hills in the dark. Apparently they are removing it soon to redevelop the park which lacks in room for expansion.

I honestly love Phantasialand and would say it's a park which you need 2-3 days to visit, get everything done and appreciate the place. It's also fairly easy to travel to as well.