Tulley's Shocktober Fest Scream Park

Quorn

Interestingly, In Italy, the number 17 is seen as unlucky. This is because the numerals XVII can be anagrammatically changed to VIXI. This, as previously mentioned means 'I have lived' in Latin. Hence why the number 17 is associated with death in Italy.

If VIXI were to have a Roman/Venetian theme throughout, then we'd have a very interesting maze on our hands...

Edited by CharlieN

29 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

Interestingly, In Italy, the number 17 is seen as unlucky. This is because the numerals XVII can be anagrammatically changed to XIVI. This, as previously mentioned means 'I have lived' in Latin. Hence why the number 17 is associated with death in Italy.

If XIVI were to have a Roman/Venetian theme throughout, then we'd have a very interesting maze on our hands...

I'm pretty sure it's VIXI, not XIVI?

I hope VIXI is scary, like extremely 'get me out of here!' scary, as I just don't get that anymore at tulleys. Don't get me wrong the event is amazing and I always have so much fun there, but all of the mazes are just more enjoyable than scary and I never actually get scared there anymore (apart from the occasional pandemonium/nightshade run as I'm scared of clowns).

I hope they just completely scrap the bag on your head idea as the medieval theme could be done really well, and we all know how good tulleys can be at theming.

Tulleys just put this on their Facebook and social media pages:

Tulleys.png.c186bf6b058d8751da542e222453d38b.png

So looking at the advertising and the picture, the guy seems to have a hood on his head, which I think could hint to this having a hooded element in there somewhere.

I think they could pull of a roman theme with the hooded gimmick, and plus it would be a homage to Hellements, which was from my memory the first Scare Attraction in the UK to have the gimmick.

Also they use the phrase "get ready for new shocks" which I think maybe could hint to the return of shock pads?

Those things were terrifying in the Volt a few years back, and I always thought the shockpad gimmick would return sometime in the future.

Though that could be me just over-thinking it! Anyway I'm hyped to hear more about the new maze! 

3 hours ago, Coaster said:

Is it just me who doesn't see the appeal in electric shocks being used?  Scare attractions are supposed to be fun!

I'm always in two minds about it.  On the one hand, it's a brilliant way to bring the sense of touch into a scare attraction (something which isn't used so much in your standard walkthrough, especially since you're usually encouraged not to touch props).  But on the other, it's simply just another shock tactic similar to jump scares, that doesn't really make me think 'oh, that's clever'.

That's why I like Saw Alive's second scene - it's filled with electric shock warnings and stuff, but it's just a vibrating gate / floor.  Gives all the suspension and fear of an electric shock, without actually having to use one.  It then also distracts you from actors which is a bonus. 

10 hours ago, Jack said:

Or you can come on the same night as me and just get three of the cards you get stamped for £10?

What are these cards? Not heard of them before :P Sorry being nosey!

And @MattyMoo - didn't you go on preview night last time? Was it still busy/did you get all the haunts done? 

Preview Night usually isn't usually very busy, though the crowds were kinda odd. From like 7-8PM the place was heaving, and then the mazes were walk on from 9PM, it was very odd, though it overall was very easy to do all 8 attractions by half nine.

Also FYI the fairground rides usually don't open on preview night, but that usually isn't the reason you visit Tulleys anyway tbf :lol:

3 hours ago, Mer said:

What are these cards? Not heard of them before :P Sorry being nosey!

Upon entering the park you are given a card which has the name of every haunt on, as you enter each haunt a staff member crosses it off so you cannot go through it again... although sometimes you get lucky and get a stupid staff member who forgets!!

Yep that's how the cards work - so if you were able to have more than one card, you could do each maze twice etc :)

@Mer - yep we did go on preview night last year, and we did get everything done but it was quite busy at the start of the evening, then thinned out (I guess as everyone has done their haunts once and so have nothing else to do) - we would've liked to have "re-ridden" the haunts as we had time to kill! My mate can't make preview night this year so I think we are going to go on Saturday 7th October.

Ahh I loved tulleys last year - imo the haunts are a lot better than Thorpe's overall. Not sure if I'll be able to drag anyone there this year or not as they'll probably say been there done that haha. I went on a Friday (14th October) and apart from the hayride didn't have to queue for anything! Chop shop was a personal favourite, I found I was more scared in the later parts of that maze than I have been for a while (excluding Tom Spindler mazes if anyone was lucky enough to go in those) the actors were terrifying!

9 hours ago, Jack said:

Into tulleys is way more fun and much more of a laugh, but thorpes mazes are more intense as they allow touch scares.

I feel Tulleys is more intense as well, and I didn't experience a touch scare once last year at Thorpe. The lack of actors at Thorpe means mazes are often long and drawn out without any real scares, whereas Tulleys is full of actors hiding around every corner, creating an onslaught of scares.

Just all a matter of waiting now...

I really do think that this could be one of tulleys' best years in a long time:

the cellar, chop shop and colony will all continue to be the most intense mazes there.

the 2 extended mazes could/ will mostly be entire new mazes themselves. 

Creepy cottage is always just a fun lil warm up.

the hayride always has scene changes every year but never actually announces that it is 'new' or 'improved'. However I hope they change the three little pigs ending as it was too much like the chop shop imo.

finally vixi. Who knows what it is but I hope the park just go full out with it and make it scarier than chop shop, the park need a maze on par with sub species to keep up with other events.

• 2 weeks later...

I think tulleys are about to properly announce this years line up as I keep checking the site and twice it's been down and the other two times it was partial-updated. Like the names of the new haunts were there but old pictures from years ago were being used and the haunt descriptions were all the same as last years. So I don't really know but hopefully something is announced today!