Tulley's Shocktober Fest Scream Park

Quorn

What the actual hell! I’m so disappointed with tulleys. 10 months of building up a ‘new maze’ which is supposedly an 8 scare factor, and they announce an overrated, boring show. Fair enough it would’ve taken a lot of money and time to get the circus of horrors to come in, but I’m pretty sure 90% if people would prefer a brand new maze like they were expecting.

I’m not happy!

5 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Oh.. they've clearly scrapped the new maze they were advertising at the event last year as it was prision themed and I'm sure mentioned about it being the "next horror maze" or something?

It was very clear the teaser was victorian style prison themed from the actors clothing. Looks like it was completely scrapped which is quite disappointing.

7 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

It was very clear the teaser was victorian style prison themed from the actors clothing. Looks like it was completely scrapped which is quite disappointing.

7 hours ago, Coaster said:

Oh.. they've clearly scrapped the new maze they were advertising at the event last year as it was prision themed and I'm sure mentioned about it being the "next horror maze" or something?

Where on earth have you plucked this from?? The cage in the middle of the plaza was in no way a hint towards a maze, it was just a bit of fun to lock up guests... it’ll probably still be there this year!

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Where on earth have you plucked this from?? The cage in the middle of the plaza was in no way a hint towards a maze, it was just a bit of fun to lock up guests... it’ll probably still be there this year!

It was set up to advertise their new attraction for 2018, it literally said it on the banner advertising this ... ?

Overall I think this will be a fun addition to do in between the mazes, sure the advertising was a tad misleading, but this is also looks like fun!

If its a good show then I think it will be a great addition for the event, I understand its not what we were expecting, but I don't understand the moaning.

Personally, I am quite delighted to see Tulleys get Circus of Horrors as I used to love watching them back during the good old days at fright nights. Yes I can understand the advertising of “9th haunt” was stupidly misleading, but I feel this could really add to Shocktoberfest massively (a great thing to do outside the haunts) which is a good thing given it’s already the one of the best (if not the best) Halloween events in the country.

• 1 month later...

Went to Tulleys on Saturday and despite the rain it was fab.  

Chop Shop had me screaming and crying then I burst into tears at the exit - the actors in there are bloody terrifying and as much as I nearly ? myself, it did what it is meant to do and be scary.  I’ve never screamed in a horror maze before or been so terrified (I thought Sub Species last year was bad when I burst into tears after the maze but this one I was crying throughout most of it ??)

Haunted Hayride is still my absolute favourite - so unique and fun but also quite scary in places.

Didnt bother with the hooded maze as they do nothing for me other than make me struggle to breath and sweat profusely.

Really enjoyed The Colony and Coven aswell.  The others are good but stand out ones for me would be Chop Shop (even though I don’t think I could do it ever again), Haunted Hayride, Colony and Covern.

I like the fact that they are all free flow and all are decent length mazes - something that Thorpe could do with taking note of.

The roaming actors are brilliant - great with guests and really adds to the atmosphere.  When I was sat having a coffee there were a group of girls behind us and one of the clowns went up to them - one of the girls was terrified of clowns and he turned round and was having some great banter with the group - though when he said to the girl that was scared “don’t look under your bed tonight....I’m gonna make a sweater out of your skin” she started crying ? but the actor was fab and ended up making her laugh.

Finally Circus of Horrors - wow - I’ve never seen them live before and wasn’t expecting much but the show was brilliant - really well put together and hugely entertaining - if I’d had time I would have happily paid to go and see the show again.

I know some people were understandably disappointed that it was hinted that there would be a new maze but I personally think Circus of Horrors is perfect for Tulleys and it gives more variety than adding another maze - a new maze would be nice but I would personally prefer them to have Circus return and totally retheme a current maze - such as the clowns one which I think is one of the weakest.

Ive not done a huge amount of Halloween attractions - literally Tulleys, Howloween, fright nights and Scarefest but Tulleys stands head and shoulders above the others in terms of theming, acting and variety of mazes and attractions.

Finally, staff at Tulleys were so friendly - the only slight downside to the evening was the rain but that can’t be helped.  

I was there Saturday also - will do a full review shortly! Think Clowns 4D was my highlight this year, due to the interaction in there - we had paid for VIP tickets (back in February!) so had multiple goes and they remembered me each time, and when spotting my Smiler hoodie, proceeded to sing The Smiler "ha ha ha ha" Towers theme in my face and ears! I love that sort of interaction.

Roaming actors are flipping brilliant at Tulleys - love the red headed woman on stilts with horns, Frankenstein's monster and wife were awesome too, the guys with Darren the rat in his box - but big shout out to the three nurses ? Such bloomin' good fun, and decided to give me a "check up" which was packed full of double entendres, making me squat on my knees and being told to make sure I kept eye contact, how they were concerned I looked stiff, and that I wasn't lubricated enough, showing me tongue exercises etc ? I needed a lie down! I think one of them is called Melody from talking to a mate who works there, kudos to her for making me laugh and embarrassed in equal measures! 

PS. Yes rain wasn't ideal but it was a lot better in the end than the forecast was!

43349970_10156572634428592_1419430242572828672_n.jpg

43411752_10156572436958592_7156200772596662272_o.jpg

3 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Roaming actors are flipping brilliant at Tulleys - love the red headed woman on stilts with horns

43349970_10156572634428592_1419430242572828672_n.jpg

43411752_10156572436958592_7156200772596662272_o.jpg

I saw you as we were waiting to go into Creepy Cottage but we were with the peasants in the main queue ? 

The woman on the stilts fascinates me - how the hell does she not fall over?!  The 3 nurses were really interacting with guests in the queue for Covern.  And I love the Frankenstein guy.  Just the way the actors are with guests is brilliant and such a laugh

Yes she's ruddy clever is Mrs. Red Haired Fire Lady. She was awesome when I took that photo - she looked truly like an animal/creature going from a normal pose slowly turning into the horror of what I took! ? Yes, Frankenstein's Monster and his wife were great like I say - all the street team are awesome at Tulley's - love the swamp monsters hiding in the queue/tunnel bit too - talk about dedication!

Ooops sorry for seeing me in the non-peasants queue ;) Tulley's is the only place I pay for VIP/Fastrack, buying the VIP in February is such a bargain. From memory, my maze tally was:

Coven of 13: 3

Chop Shop: 4

Clowns 4D: 3

VIXI: 1

Creepy Cottage: 2

The Cellar: 2

The Colony: 2

Haunted Hayride: 2

Absolutely loved Twisted Clowns 4D this year - I just think it's something a bit different from a maze, and a bit of a laugh as well as jump scares etc. without any chainsaws :) The 3D effects work very well too, and as well as "the Smiler" ha-ha chanting, there was good interaction with other actors too. Similarly, in Hellements VIXI, the actor Jordan spotted my hoodie and also chanted the Smiler theme at me! :D 

Slight niggles of the night were confusion with security at the entrance not knowing that us VIPs don't have to queue and can go straight to the front (soz) and being sent round in a group of TWENTY FIVE on Colony which was ridiculous. Only happened the once but I think they were panicking trying to get the queue down - when we went on a Friday last year, the queues were basically empty after 10/10.30 but that wasn't the case at all on this Saturday... plus there were certainly a lot more "annoying little so-and-sos" out for the night ;)

I think the guys in Chop Shop weren't being quite so jumpy and violent due to the weather and the floors being more slippery than usual! That said it was bloody great as always! I liked the new mesh-maze section in The Colony, that reminded me of The Big Top a bit (RIP). The Cellar was a real highlight last year but didn't seem to have many actors in it this year. VIXI had a heck of a lot of actors in (especially versus Vulcan Peak ;)) and the fire and cold effects worked well but hooded mazes just aren't my bag (HA!) I do like the fake exit and then extra bit after, that's good (that was there last year too mind you!)

The Colony is MASSIVE as a maze, it's a proper work out - incredible stuff. Think it's even longer this year! We tried to get a great run through but the groups we were with weren't the best, if that makes sense - it's a precise art staying back from the next group for the perfect haunt experience ;)

Still love the laser effect on Colony of 13, and this also had some very strong performances this year. 

Think my biggest jump of the night came in Twisted Clowns though where an actor managed to get me twice from nowhere in the space of 30 seconds - like I say, really loved this maze this year!

This year's Hayride is a bit different - the Thriller dancing made everyone laugh... think I still prefer last years though.

I know it's such an ENTHUSIASTS term but Tulley's truly is the IMMERSIVE Halloween event. Shout out too to the smell of bonfires when you have a shower the morning after! :D

Back to Thorpe on Thursday to compare and contrast - am going with a mate who hasn't been for years, and I genuinely love going with newbies to Thorpe/Alton Towers as it's a far more enjoyable day out for me :)

Thanks for the review. Going this weekend and it certainly sounds as good as last year.

Looking forward to the Colony and will force myself through ChopShop. I think it’s the only maze I’m genuinely scared of but it’s just so intense. Confined spaces, all chainsaws and the lights going out. ? Do you know how much the Colony is extended, does it go further out into the fields?

Hope your day at Thorpe goes well. 

You must do Chop Shop. Try and see the funny side of the ending :D It's not too confined at the end and there are certainly darker mazes!

I'm pretty sure it does go out further into the fields before and I think they may have rerouted the end part a bit as it seems longer - I could be wrong though as it has been a year!

Tulley VIP is great - I was lucky enough last year that @Roodie got us both VIP passes which mean zero queuing and being able to get on things multiple times - though last year we only did chop shop once (which last year I was kind of ok with) and this year it traumatised me so I think you are brave @MattyMoo going through it 4 times - I think it would finish me off!  

@Stuntman707 - I used to be ok with chainsaws until a couple of years ago and the fact it was obvious that I was terrified (and at the front) this year didn’t help but if you show fear to scare actors they love it and will just target you more ? definitely go in it but make some other poor sod go in front if you can ?

That actor with the knitted outfit on made me laugh and reminded me (I don’t know why) of a character from The Mighty Boosh.  Also I didn’t realise until I just saw that pic that it has knitted boobs ?.