Tulley's Shocktober Fest Scream Park

Quorn

The theme does sound pretty cool, hopefully its actually setting out to be scary rather than just a load of pirates going 'yo ho'. I do still have flashbacks of how awful 'the curse' was, but I reckon Tulleys will put more thought and effort in to this. It should also hopefully be a decent length!

Tulleys need touch scares. Even if it’s only in one maze so they can introduce it slowly over the years but touch scares would definitely ramp up the scare factor of their mazes. Don’t get me wrong the tulleys mazes are great fun and some of the best themed attractions in the UK, but I can’t actually remember the last time I was scared at the event.

Touch scares are a tricky one. For some people, there's a huge fear of what could happen: a lot of people worry about being touched and having their personal space invaded. But once that wall is broken, some can lose that fear (because you realise being touched isn't that bad). 

There's then the other side that when touching is allowed, actors can become over-reliant on it. Even for people who don't like it, you can quickly become desensitised to it, and ultimately it loses its value.

Plus, touching doesn't always ramp up scars factor. Sometimes it can take away from the experience, take you out of the story ("why is this butcher who wants to take me away, kill me and sell my meat only stroking my head?" For example). It has to have a reason and be timed rightly. 

Personally, I reckon touching works best when it's a bit more full-on (say, Sub Species style, where you can be forced to go in certain ways, etc). Anything less than that rarely increases scare factor imo

Tulleys are pretty reluctant to add touch scares and for good reason.

I think touch scares works best in mazes like Sub Species, I wouldn't say any other maze to date bar Skin Snatchers has used touch scares effectively tbh..

JoshC pretty much summed it up, touch scares can actually break immersion instead of their desired effect if used incorrectly. It also can put actors at direct risk touching guests, some guests can react badly to it and there is nowhere to hide when you are directly in contact with the guest.. I think Tulleys works without the need for touch scares. 

Yeah I guess! I feel that if tulleys did something along the lines of sub species or Ex10 they would have an attraction completely different to anything they’ve done before which would seem even scarier at their event as the GP regulars aren’t used to being thrown around etc. 

For me being grabbed and touched is what intimidates/scares me the most but as you say if it’s not necessary then it’s not effective and rather pointless. I suppose it’s just a matter of opinion and I’m just used to the style of scares tulleys provides.

So - announcement tonight from Tulleys for the final haunt - but they also say it's in a new "area" - which is intriguing.

Could the prison maze be coming? Maybe a whole "prison" style area with the maze within? 

Basically - anything but zombies please.

Depending on where and how big the area is, who's to say they don't add another new haunt next year? Space is something that Tulley's aren't exactly short of!

4 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

So - announcement tonight from Tulleys for the final haunt - but they also say it's in a new "area" - which is intriguing.

Could the prison maze be coming? Maybe a whole "prison" style area with the maze within? 

I think this will be in a new space around Twisted's exit. I presume this will be a new maze and a show to go with. Maybe that show will be the 'area'?

I'm pretty certain this will be a prison themed maze, Scaretour basically have already confirmed it. I am very excited to see the trailer for this though, going to be a cool one!

And there we have it!!

“Introducing our brand new district "Wastelands" the home or our brand new attraction Wastelands Penitentiary.

The year is 1998, 13 years beyond the moment of “light”, the explosion ripped through our world, bringing an end to civil life. Buildings became ruins, forests became wastelands and to survive humans pulled on their primal instincts. The penitentiary was strong and secure, but since the disaster it has become a haven for all that is bad. The power shift has changed. Inmates once detained are now free, guards that were in control are fighting to survive…will you?”

Solid looking line up!! This and Wreckoning look like two very strong additions to the line up potentially. 

8 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

Over 18s horror maze themed to the nurses anyone!!??

That might kill some poor men! I think that would cause way too many heart attacks!

5 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

Anyone would think Martin and Joshua work for Tulley's marketing team 😂

I actually worked there last year and I live down the road, its pretty much my halloween home 😂

So it seems the announcement on Monday was a continuation of a story on the new wastelands area. Seems like a fun idea to write a story but I don't think we learnt anything that we didn't already know.

On a side note... I'm going to Tulleys with family including my dad who has never been in a scare maze of any kind. He says he doesn't get scared by anything...hopefully we will get some good run throughs to test that theory! 

Tuesday should see the final part of the ‘trailer’ (unless they decide to drag it out more), however the first 2 haven’t really given much away so I’m not getting my hopes up. I’d love to see it be a multi-route (cabin/sub-species) style maze as I reckon tulleys could execute one pretty well, but I really have no clue what’s in store.