Tulley's Shocktober Fest Scream Park

Quorn

So the 11th attraction the park teased earlier this year has been removed.

I think this makes a lot of sense considering the whole pandemic. The farm also opened a fairly busy drive through shop which probably means they really don't have time to plan and build another attraction.  I honestly am kinda relieved as getting all 10 attractions done in one night was difficult as it was!

In other news the park have received quite a few SCAR nominations, quite a bit more than in previous years.

Wastelands has been nominated for bet set and design and best halloween maze, coven's fire finale has been nominated for best scene, and they also have a nomination for having the best street team and entertainment.

Do you realistically think we will be seeing any Halloween events this year?

I mean you have to be close and with social distancing likely to be in some form until a vaccine is ready I just can't see how these types of attractions will be possible this year even if lockdown is relaxed. 

Just my gut feeling! 

Good on the scare nominations. I think all three are very strong contenders. 

13 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

So the 11th attraction the park teased earlier this year has been removed.

I think this makes a lot of sense considering the whole pandemic. The farm also opened a fairly busy drive through shop which probably means they really don't have time to plan and build another attraction.  I honestly am kinda relieved as getting all 10 attractions done in one night was difficult as it was!

Here's a quote about the 11th attraction from the owner of Tulleys, who commented on a Facebook post made by Scare Tour re the 11th attraction:

Well spotted guys, the new attraction in planning is Wastelands Infirmary. As you can see it’s probably a bit politically incorrect at the moment, maybe next year! We’ve also tried to push ahead with the building of our new Escape Room SpellCraft ... it’s proving impossible at the moment as the supply lines of all the materials and kit needed have been stopped dead. We’ll make a decision at the beginning of August whether Shocktober will be able to go ahead this year and it what form. We’d be reluctant to cobble something together that doesn’t hit the mark, in 3 months time a lot of water will have passed under the bridge so we’ll see where we’re at then. Take care, stay safe and we might all get a Halloween!! 🙂

The idea for Wastelands Infirmary was for it to grow the Wastelands area; in particular, the entrance to the maze would have been where the ironmongers, etc were based (to the left of the area). The idea (in-story) being that those people were expanding the Wastelands area, and an Infirmary being what would next be needed to help with survival and whatnot.

The drivethrough farm shop is probably earning them a little bit of money and keeping them occupied, but nowhere near the levels they'd normally be with the escape rooms. They very much had a long-term plan for the Wastelands area, which is why the invested so heavily in it last year. One can only hope for their sake's that they stay afloat, as I highly doubt they just had a spare £400k lying around to build that area willy-nilly.

5 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

I mean you have to be close and with social distancing likely to be in some form until a vaccine is ready I just can't see how these types of attractions will be possible this year even if lockdown is relaxed. 

Just my gut feeling! 

I agree it's a very precarious situation. At this stage, it is way to early to judge either way, given the situation changes daily (and even hourly). Tulleys standpoint of deciding at the start of August is a sensible one, and likely what many other events will be doing. 

The issues are, even if Halloween events do run:

-How popular will they be (even if things do go well over the next couple of months, social distancing will still either be enforced or very prominent in people's minds)

-What opportunities will there be for new attractions (the design and build time takes months for new attractions)

-How profitable they will be (especially if restrictions on number of people in a park are in place)

Halloween events could still occur with clever changes in my opinion. You'd more be looking at outdoor attractions, smaller groups and actors activating effects / scaring from a distance rather than getting in your face. If face masks are recommended or whatever, you could even push that into the story for an attraction or two. 

It would be difficult and I don't see many events being able to realistically pull it off (and I don't see many events trying to either), but it's possible.

ScareTOUR already know of a few companies who have decided not to run their 2020 Halloween events, either because of health concerns or financial incapability. Bigger companies are worried about having to scale back. Others are still in limbo. It's a worrying time for the scare industry, but it could also lead to some interesting new creative ideas if things improve.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, JoshC. said:

Here's a quote about the 11th attraction from the owner of Tulleys, who commented on a Facebook post made by Scare Tour re the 11th attraction:

The idea for Wastelands Infirmary was for it to grow the Wastelands area; in particular, the entrance to the maze would have been where the ironmongers, etc were based (to the left of the area). The idea (in-story) being that those people were expanding the Wastelands area, and an Infirmary being what would next be needed to help with survival and whatnot.

The drivethrough farm shop is probably earning them a little bit of money and keeping them occupied, but nowhere near the levels they'd normally be with the escape rooms. They very much had a long-term plan for the Wastelands area, which is why the invested so heavily in it last year. One can only hope for their sake's that they stay afloat, as I highly doubt they just had a spare £400k lying around to build that area willy-nilly.

I did not hear about this. That is very interesting. Its a huge shame the park's investment has been kinda stalled by the virus. Have to admit I did not see another expansion to Wastelands coming, Tulleys were not messing about, that is some aggressive expansion.

Its a huge blow for them but I think they will be okay, they have running for 25+ years now so I see them being able to push this investment back another year or so. Though obviously it will be not be easy at all for them. 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:56 AM, Mattgwise said:

Just my gut feeling! 

I think its very hard to predict. In 6 months time this could be a complete distant memory, or it could be still lingering. I think with most scare events it will ultimately depend on if other leisure attractions (like theme parks) are back open, But even then I could see the park running with certain attractions tweaked or closed. Like VIXI for example probably wouldn't work (the rope being touched by a lot of guests, ect).. I think JoshC has a point with the attractions adapting, you can certainly scare without being close to people. But obviously in some mazes (Cellar, Cottage) the small spaces kinda might make doing scares from a distance a chore. 

Fingers crossed things are less grim by August. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Double Post:

I visited the drive through cinema last saturday and it was great. Very well thought out, loads of options for food (a tad pricy though tbf).

Overall if you're anyway near Crawley it is certainly worth going for a evening. I have heard though that they may continue doing this until Halloween. Which potentially could mean no Shocktoberfest. Hopefully that is not the case, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Tulleys Shocktoberfest tickets go on sale 2 weeks today. Personally, I can't see them doing it this year as things stand... with Thorpe/Towers halloween events, they can always tweak things / change the offering/description with the huge back up of the fact you can ride coasters into the night. Fright Nights/Scarefest are just events that happen as part of the year as an addition - people aren't buying tickets for Fright Nights 2020 in 8/12 months in advance, knowing what to expect etc - whereas with Shocktoberfest, obviously the whole event is based on up-close scares, mazes with lots of indoor sections, interaction with actors. I just can't see Tulleys being able to operate in the manner that people are used to and expect, and more to the point, to the level that people who have bought tickets in advance in their pre-sales would expect for parting with their cash well in advance. The most expensive VIP tickets were a touch under £90 each.

There has been radio silence from Tulleys regarding Shocktoberfest on official since March, and there was a comment by the owner Stuart Beare on ScareTour that said "I remain hopeful but I cannot currently see how any scare attraction with actor interaction can be run Covid safe". 

Tulleys have to start building mazes to an extent too, and it's a case of once you press the "go" button on that, there's no turning back. Appreciate main infrastructure is there for a fair part of it, but as soon as you start spending out, all it needs is a local lockdown/COVID test positive for an actor/staff and in theory the site would be closed for the forseeable. In short - it's a massive gamble with no fall back option. 

Yeah it honestly doesn't look too hopeful at the moment. I'm guessing the drive-in cinema would be the 'replacement' for it this year. It is very rough, though I'm glad the farm is doing other things (the farm shop, the cinema). Hopefully when Shocktober returns it will be better than ever.

• 2 weeks later...

So as mentioned in posts above they're continuing with the drive in cinema in October, which they are hoping to make more 'halloweeny'. An excerpt from their facebook:

'the challenge of celebrating Halloween with Covid has created new opportunities, many of you know that we have been running a Drive In Cinema experience at Tulleys over the Summer months. What you didn’t know, was that the Summer season has been a test, to learn and fully understand how to operate the cinema, giving us the potential to run a larger Drive In cinema experience this Halloween.

The Haunted cinema experience includes a pre film fire and light show, and a resident cast of very mischievous ghosts who will add a fun layer to the incredible spooky atmosphere! Don’t expect chainsaw wielding maniacs at Texas chainsaw massacre or a set of clowns at a showing of IT, the “ghosts” will leave you alone to enjoy the film but they might “help” to deliver your food and snacks, and you’ll definitely catch a fleeting glimpse from the corner of your eye.'

Shame that the actors aren't going to get super involved but still, its something!

• 1 month later...

So I went to the haunted cinema tonight, and overall I am very impressed.

They have a small roaming team of actors that greet you while you drive in, before the movie starts, and while you leave. If you have been to Tulleys, these actors are very akin to the street. Which is great.

Sure you only see them a few times, but when we did they were very funny and were a strong cast.

If you are going to the toliet or to one of the food stands, or if they come near your car, definitely have a chat with them! Very witty in typical Tulleys roaming actor fashion and put a smile on my face.

Overall its a really well organised and well manned ship, I really recommend it.

They also have kind of a trailer for next year as well, which may or may not involve some fire!

• 3 months later...

So - Tulleys have tweeted this morning.... they have gone back to a ticketing system more like the original, which I prefer (but then, that's mainly because we buy VIP so we can re-run mazes lots of times.... blimey I sound like a MAP'per!)

Tickets are now XScream Pass which allows you 1 run through each haunt, then an XScream pass with 6 or 10 fasttrack queue jumps (which as I read it, means you still only do a haunt once, just don't have to queue for 6 or 10 of them), and then the VIPRIP all you can eat mega unlimited ticket.

Now... the current line up is 9 haunts plus Circus of Horrors... so with a 10 fast-track option that would imply a 10th haunt is coming, as discussed previously in the thread....

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...