Silver Dollar City

JoshC.

Felt we had a SDC topic because of Outlaw Run but obviously not...

SDC are building a Mack coaster for 2018.  Not much is known at the mo (an announcement is due on the 16th), but rumours are suggesting to will be called Time Travellers and that it will be a launched spinning coaster.  

But to add a twist to the rumour, track has started to go up and poses more questions...

IMG_7866.JPG

Source - http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-construction-sdc_3.html

Yep, a 90 degree drop out of the ride's station - nice way to start any ride, but a spinner?  Who knows.

So yeah, definitely one to watch...

1 hour ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

That's highly likely, considering many people thought Lost Gravity would be a spinner until we saw the trains.

True. However, the new Mack rides Xtreme spinning coaster prototype has the ability to run spinning or winged trains. So perhaps we can't predict the style of train from the track, as Mack may have the potential to run either spinners or Big Dipper style trains.

• 2 weeks later...

ha, it looks fab.  I'm in 2 minds about whether I'd have preferred to see a spinner or a Big Dipper for this; part of me feels like a Big Dipper would have been great for the layout.

But yeah, nice to see spinning coasters branch out a bit more, and nice to see it won't be like Cobra's Curse with the weird locking / unlocking during various points of the circuit.  Hope it is well received and more parks decide to give it a try...

• 6 months later...

Well this is opening very soon, and we have a press launch today.  Here's a POV of the ride, with no spinning:

The cars would be spinning from the moment it leaves the station.  Unfortunately, however, the stop on the first launch is a thing for when the ride opens, which really kills the momentum really (the cars won't be spun back into any sort of alignment either, which makes it even worse).  

Still, looks like a decent enough ride, and it's fantastic to see spinners developing more.  I expect we'll see a spinning POV soon enough..

Colour me slightly unimpressed lads. Yes I know it's a POV so you can't judge how it rides and I know it's a Mack so I'm meant to love it, but...

Some weird pacing issues going on that's for sure, coming to a dead stop before the first launch section and the second launch pretty much only used to get you into the brakes, not inspiring in the layout department.

Also the insane trimming on the first drop annoys me.

I'll reserve judgement on this point till I've experienced it, but to me at least I can't really get behind the idea of making it spin improving a Mack multi launch coaster, that's probably just me though.

30 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Weird how it just stops after the first section, I assume there must be a reason that it couldn't have a rolling launch?

The original plan was for the first launch to be enclosed, and there would be some kind of scene in there (probably something linked to time travelling with clocks and stuff), however that was cut.

Whether they're planning on building that scene for next year, they couldn't get a rolling launch retrofitted into the tech or they simply decided to just cut the building and keep the stop out of silliness is unclear though.

That second launch should invite some sort of environmental tax for such a massive waste of energy.

I like the concept, I love a spinner, but as has been said, this is really odd. No flow, and a lack of manoeuvres which are likely to induce any actual spinning. 

Would like to see further examples though, that's for sure.

Sounds a massive shame if they were originally going to build an enclosed launch and decided to remove it (either due to budget or something). Would be nice if they could add this during the future, but that seems wishful thinking. I’d rather they remove the stopping completely if this is the case.

In retrospect, the second launch actually feels underwhelming, because it literally does a few curves and corners and then goes straight into the brake run. It certainly feels a missed opportunity on the layout front, especially since I consider the second launch on rides such as Helix and Taron, the best parts of the ride.

Not a bad coaster as such, but one that could’ve been even better.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

That looks wrong to me. Surely with water that rough rounding a bend the opposite channel should have a much higher side to prevent the raft riding up on to it causing a capsize risk? Seems mental to me to attempt a raft ride of all thing in house, rather than use the expertise of a big manufacturer.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, pluk said:

That looks wrong to me. Surely with water that rough rounding a bend the opposite channel should have a much higher side to prevent the raft riding up on to it causing a capsize risk? Seems mental to me to attempt a raft ride of all thing in house, rather than use the expertise of a big manufacturer.

I think it'll be fine, they built Blazing Fury at their sister park down the road just fine. They are not new to in-house stuff.

It also I guess would save some money, and it isn't like Intamin have the best record ATM with their raft rides.. Infinity Falls looks brilliant but honestly after all the problems I could see why you would just wanna avoid using them.