paige

hello pals,

to cut a long story short but still quite long as this is me, I'm currently carrying out a research project that's basically looking at motion sickness on theme park rides (as well as how and why any treatments work by looking at how they react with the body on a molecular level... did you know the nhs suggests antihistamines to help?? ok I'll stop, I wont bore you with that nonsense) and before I can begin even thinking about trying to write up the dissertation, I need to do my research. for the whole cause and effect aspect of it I need to be able to ramble on about what triggers such adverse symptoms and I'm hoping to contact some parks and potentially ride manufacturers as I need to at least attempt to expand my research beyond books and the internet, but I don't want to go in totally blind or with such a small idea of what perhaps makes myself of those I know feel a bit iffy.

so what I'm looking for from you, my dearest frequenters of such rides is simply do you get sick? not just nauseous, but do you ever come off a ride feeling faint/dizzy etc.? can you tell me any ride types you absolutely avoid as you know you'll come off feeling the wrong way? do you know anyone who gets especially sick? ever been on a ride that you're often more than able to handle and come off feeling less than okay on some off chance? if you have, or know someone who has, let me know! any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys love u all 

PS: I will be having to include screenshots of any relevant responses in a research log, if you wish to have your usename and profile picture obscured let me know, but if I like your post then I will be including a screenshot of your post in my notes and that by giving me your response, you are permitting me to include it in my research log :) 

On roller coasters I normally have zero problem, flats such as shot/drop towers/star flyers/screaming swings/top spins/top scans/slammer (rip) ect, I have no problem with, it's rides like Maelstrom that get me, and the worst one, are Skymasters, I actually throw up after every ride so I try to avoid them nowadays, which is a shame because my local fair has one 

The stupid robot arm with a screen 2 inches from your face 3D waste of time that is Harry Potter's Forbidden Quiditch Match at Universal Japan got me badly, wasn't sick but did make me ill.

What a piece of crap that was.

That's the only ride I can think of, off the top of my head. So harsh movements, with a 3D screen inches from your nose is my downfall.

Edited by Mega-Lite
Wanted to explain better.

I'm mostly okay with rides. Used to have a problem greying out on more forceful coasters such as The Swarm but it seems to mostly have subsided. 

Luckily, I've never thrown up after a ride or even felt like I was going to. I know of friends that cannot ride for a couple of hours after eating, but I've not had that problem. 

Hope this helps! 

I've never felt sick personally, but I do have a friend who gets quite faint after certain rides. 

This has happened twice. The first time was after the rock rage (ski jump) at Winter Wonderland. I believe it was the erratic change of direction and aggression that meant that my friend was so ill (and the fact that WW was dead so we were on for three cycles!). My friend then had to sit down on a bench for 20 minutes, during which he probably drunk 5 bottles of water. He told me that he felt like he was going to faint (which he does do, frequently.)

Another notable time where he had motion sickness was after Zodiac at Thorpe park - although it was the repetitiveness of this ride that meant my friend felt faint.

To me, how the contrasting ride experiences achieved an equal level of sickness is interesting. It was the force and aggression of Ski Jump, but the passive repetitiveness of Zodiac. I've always found that peculiar - particularly as roller coasters, drop towers or even car journeys don't make him feel sick at all.

It’s weird with me...

I’m that kind of person that can feel travelsick fairly easily but I’ve never actually been sick at a theme park.

Pretty much any roller coaster or flat ride won’t make me sick, even if I’d had a rather large lunch beforehand.

The only slight exception to this was when I was spun around on a park randabout for about 5 minutes straight (I was close to throwing up). But that’s not technically at a theme park, neither does it really count as a ride.

With dark rides such as Forbidden Journey when your body moves out of time with the screen, I can feel slightly nauseous after too many rides (5 rides of FJ was enough for me) but it’s no where near as bad as my travel sickness (which generally isn’t too bad).

I'm fairly resistant to sickness on rides, though some forces on intense rides have made me feel sick.

Titan at Six Flags Over Texas is a example, as the Helix towards the end made me black out, and from memory I felt incredibly sick after each ride.

Euro-Mir when you face the second half backwards also springs to mind, god does that make feel ill.

Thank you for all of the responses I've received to this so far, it's proving to be a huge help already! I intend on properly checking through and reviewing the topic on Wednesday 25th October as that's when I'll (hopefully) be coming to the end of my research period so I'll be looking to consolidate any of my findings. If anyone might have any interest in my final findings I may make some mention of it somewhere on the forums... Can't guarantee it'll be the most interesting of reads though :P 

Don't know if too late, but I basically never get sick on rides.

- I do sometimes get a bit of a light headed feeling which will occasionally last a couple of minutes after the ride. I once went through the mcbr on Goliath at 6FMM without it slowing and properly greyed out on the Felix if forever which follows, but I find that a wonderful feeling.

- I've only once felt sick after a ride, and that was after Swarm photoshoot meet, where we all rode well into double figures in the freezing cold and rain. Was OK at the time, but once I was driving home I felt pretty ill and as if I had a bad hangover the next day. Maybe that shows everyone will have their level of tolerance their body will let itself be put through before it gives out some signs to stop!

The one coaster at my home park...BPB...that makes me queasy is the Revolution, I often avoid it unless I'm with mates who want to go on.

By way of assisting a fellow geek in their studies, I did the ride this week, amusingly, as I was entering the ride, a punter coming down the stairs immediately chucked up behind the entrance flower bed...so it isn't only me!

I don't do spinny rides any more as I'm an old git (55), coasters apart that is...I think it is the launch drop on the ride that makes me want to puke, especially with the reverse drop.

Good luck with your diss, sounds better than mine.

I think the only time I have ever felt properly sick (or close to being sick) was on Samurai at Thorpe Park.

never have I felt so nauseated and sickly in my life. I was close to vomiting on no fewer than two ocassions and it has strongly put me off riding it even to this day.

Surprising coasters I barely ever feel nauseated on (maybe if I'm very dehydrated), but my advice would be to consume sweets and fizzy drinks with moderation at theme parks, especially if you take one any white knuckle rides. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, Really late reply. I have never had any issues on rides. Last year around June we went to visit family in Canada and myself and some of my cousins went to Canadas Wonderland. I am male and 34 years old, most of my cousins were around 20-23. I went on loads of rollercaosters and a rew flat rides without any problems, including Behemoth. However, Leviathan..... I completly blacked out around 3/4 of the way down the first drop, and came round just before the turn around point at the car park. I entered a dream like state and had really vivid thoughts, before remembering I was at a theme park and telling myself to wake back up. I was ok for the rest of the ride and when it finished we went and got some fries and a coke for the sugar! I didnt go on much else after, just a copuple of smaller things.

Generally when going down larger drops I tense my stomach, and being such a large drop with a lot of g force, I think tensing my stomach stopped me breating and caused me to blackout. I have watched the red bull air race and they always say that under high g force you need to regulate your breathing otherwise you will black out.

Hope this isn't too late and provides you with some useful feedback!.