The Walking Dead: The Ride - Speculation and 'Construction'

JoshC.

• JoshC. pinned this topic

As John Wardley says, "Market research can be the kiss of death for many entertainment projects. If you were to ask a market researcher what the perfect joke is, they would come back with something like it has to be 3 minutes 17 seconds long, feature an Irishman and a nun - and they would suck all the humour out of it." (Highly reccomend watching the Towers Times evening he did)

I notice there's been close to zero speculation on what the new Walking Dead attraction will actually be. Still a presumption it'll be a retheming of X, but no idea how they are trying to achieve it. 

Lack of interest, or lack of anyone with any knowledge? It's unusual to know nothing about a development though.

9 hours ago, pluk said:

I notice there's been close to zero speculation on what the new Walking Dead attraction will actually be. Still a presumption it'll be a retheming of X, but no idea how they are trying to achieve it. 

Lack of interest, or lack of anyone with any knowledge? It's unusual to know nothing about a development though.

Things do seem to have tightened up recently.  After the Derren Brown leak in 2015, rumour mill very much seems to have dried up.  No one really knew what Ghost Train was before it opened (and even after 2 seasons, people don't really know what it is now..), no one knew what Rise of the Demon was - leaks just didn't spring up.  The Walking Dead was a poorly kept secret, but I don't think Thorpe were that bothered by that, as it was a big reveal to the masses (majority of the GP had no clue).

I guess it's a mix of lack of knowledge being leaked out and lack of care though.  No one was wanting or asking for an X retheme, no one was wanting a 'Year of The Walking Dead', etc.  If people really cared, I'm sure someone would do enough digging to find out, then leak it for the street cred..

19 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Well there was Angry Birds I suppose :D

Maybe something happy is around the corner again.

Happiness is always around the corner - we just need a Jart post.. ;)

Does anyone actually know, or had confirmed that X is getting a retheme directly? Could it be that the entrances are being moved about and TWD is now just a perminent maze? They might of tightened up the flow a bit more, has more of a story and a preshow and makes the building multi-purpose? The queue for Living Nightmare wasnt the best for Fright Nights, and isnt there alot of wasted space in the building? 

I know there are plans, but these are mainly outside and show come configuration to the building arent they? 

Could it be that the main entrance to the X pyramid is now going to be TWD and X might stay as-is and move the entrance (although these would probably be on the plans if they were making another entrance into the building?)

Just a thought.....

I hope they sort out the '2 riders per row' stuff that's been going on for so long now, guess this would need new restraints/new trains so it'd have to be quite a big investment into X.

19 hours ago, pluk said:

I notice there's been close to zero speculation on what the new Walking Dead attraction will actually be.

I'd guess the ride will be similar to what it is currently, just with scares/theming on the brake runs, perhaps some flashing lights in the pyramid. I feel there's been so little speculation as it's such an odd ride to try and theme to TWD and difficult to see what could be done with it.

9 hours ago, qzzb_uk said:

Could it be that the main entrance to the X pyramid is now going to be TWD and X might stay as-is and move the entrance (although these would probably be on the plans if they were making another entrance into the building?)

I was thinking that too, although I feel it'd be very unlikely as it wouldn't make a great deal of sense. The only thing I can think of is it'll be an entrance to take you all the way down to Living Nightmare, but it'd be odd to walk so far down a corridor to access it. I imagine Thorpe isn't particularly fond of the long tunnel due to H&S limiting the number of people, and requiring extra staff just to control the flow.

Just now, EpicSmatty said:

I hope they sort out the '2 riders per row' stuff that's been going on for so long now, guess this would need new restraints/new trains so it'd have to be quite a big investment into X.

I'd guess the ride will be similar to what it is currently, just with scares/theming on the brake runs, perhaps some flashing lights in the pyramid. I feel there's been so little speculation as it's such an odd ride to try and theme to TWD and difficult to see what could be done with it.

I was thinking that too, although I feel it'd be very unlikely as it wouldn't make a great deal of sense. The only thing I can think of is it'll be an entrance to take you all the way down to Living Nightmare, but it'd be odd to walk so far down a corridor to access it. I imagine Thorpe isn't particularly fond of the long tunnel due to H&S limiting the number of people, and requiring extra staff just to control the flow.

Unless they have restructured the maze internally in the building, possibly adding more internal content that links in (as they wouldn't have to have planning permissions, although given the quality of the existing maze might be a-lot for such a well themed and new area).

Alternative could be some sort of preshow then you choose your path... leave on a "military transport" (then ride X) or go in your own group (and do the maze/get eaten/chased, etc...). 

Would be very little done to X then - and might be able to have an alternative door to skip the reshow and just ride X thus keeping the child height and bypassing anything vaguely scary?? 

10 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Well there was Angry Birds I suppose :D

True. Though its a shame Angry Birds stands out as one of the best investments in recent memory when Angry Birds itself was a 4D Cinema, some Dodgems and some terrible theming plonked next to Detonator :lol:

IAC I guess too could be seen as non dreary but the throughput is pretty depressing.

On 17/01/2018 at 1:03 AM, pluk said:

Does anyone care. X wasn't a ride crying for a Walking Dead theme and I can see it failing very hard. It comes across as desperate and the fact that no one is talking about it, even in enthusiast circles, really says a lot

• JoshC. unpinned this topic