The Walking Dead: The Ride - Speculation and 'Construction'

JoshC.

Something new is coming to Thorpe Park in 2018.  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159652058415624&id=283706330623

Some form of 'world first' (of course, it's Merlin ;) ), though no other indication as to what or where though. 

No idea what this could be, but suggestions welcome (anyone who suggests a top spin in any way will be banned forever though ;) )

I assume the Swarm VR rumour has come about because the merch was reduced during the summer?  I noticed that come September, the merch was back up to normal price, which would just indicate that it was a just a summer special offer or similar.  So it would be weird to see Swarm get VR and not retheme / rename it, as you lose out on a big marketing opportunity. 

One would hope that after the trouble they've encountered with all their VR stuff (Ghost Train, Galactica and Shaman at Gardaland all suffered major delays and technical difficulties at one point), Merlin would want to steer clear of integrating VR into rides.  If they really wanted to go down that route, a VR 4D cinema, or even AR show, would be something different enough to be...interesting I guess, whist more manageable from a technology viewpoint.

Merlin's use of world firsts is so vague and downright silly at points it's hard to know what this could to be honest.  And to highlight this point...

3 hours ago, Benin said:

Will this be like the one for this summer?

After The Walking Dead announcement, Living Nightmare was being called "the world's first Walking Dead maze to feature scenes from Season 7 of the show".  As Thorpe's Facebook post said they were "dropping a world first in the summer", I guess the idea might have been they were going to announce Living Nightmare as a world first during the summer and hype up from there, but things changed and they announced it a bit later / decided not to focus on the silly world first..

I'm hoping for a flat ride for next year as Slammer's space could easily fit in a decent sized flat ride.

I really hope they don't go down the "VR route" as we already have DBGT, and look at the nightmare that caused on its opening year..

I hope next year we just get a decent ride that is fun and reliable, not some over-hyped marketing mess that will probably close in 5 years time..

Well the IAC stuff is on sale so maybe they are going to get rid of it?  I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.  VR on The Swarm would be a terrible idea IMO - they've already slowed down the throughputs on GalacticAir (and that's when the VR actually works) and it would make the near misses on Swarm damn pointless and ruin the ride.

Yes agree on IAC - queue times app says Returns 2018 (unfortunately :P)

As much as I'd like a Slammer replacement, thinking about it, that's unlikely as it would have to be a "world first" flat ride to replace it!

All things really would point to Swarm VR or something changing on an existing ride to make it a "world first" so therefore I am putting the idea of making Rumba a world's first rapids ride with laser guns a la Tomb Blaster into the hat. You're welcome.

The whole worlds first nonsense has to end. If Merlin actually surveyed people I'm almost certian they would find no one cares if its a worlds first when the first it is on about is something stupid. I'm assuming its not the marketing team that decides to use the Worlds first slogan all the time and is actually something Head office makes happen because no marketing expert could possibly think at this point that the worlds first slogan is effective. I'm sure it worked on the smiler (although I think they used world beating) and possibly Saw but everything else they have made it has been completly irrelevant or in 13's case damaging to the rides reputation. 

This new for 2018 "world's first " I'm almost certian will be just a stupid tag line like worlds first horror maze themed on season 7 of the walking dead. This is either going to ruin some existing ride, be a overhyped flat ride with some IP tagged onto it or some new VR sequence on DBGTROTD that gives it a really obscure worlds first.

18 hours ago, BaronC. said:

The queue board for IAC did say 'Returns 2018' when it.it closed (same as Rush and Rumba), so I could see that returning next year.  Not to say it couldn't receive work or something, but I think that'd have a low chance of being replaced for now.

Yeah I forgot about that ? Damn there was me getting my hopes up that we'd have a worlds first soap opera themed maze - Coronation Street The Maze ?

• JoshC. pinned this topic
  • JoshC. unpinned this topic