The Walking Dead: The Ride - Speculation and 'Construction'

JoshC.

To be fair, they've not announced it yet, so barely anyone knows about it...

But yeah, no one will care... Merlin parks cannot seem to get these low investment years at all, though not surprising if any investment MUST have an USP... Which is daft if you've only got a few million to spend... Imagine if the parks could turn around and say "we want THIS flat ride, just because WE NEED TO INCREASE OUR CAPACITY SOMEHOW"

I think QzzB has nailed it... after all, the tag line is "Safe Zone" which now makes sense that X was selected...

They can't move the maze/X, so re-theme a family coaster as a safe zone which is suitable for all the family. Theming on the actual ride I assume will be minimal or military. 

So in regards to WDLN maze...(spoiler alert just in case anyone has not had chance to experience it yet)

Spoiler

Do you think they will retain the same level of class with the opening Negan actors? I visited FN 3 times last year, each time with a different actor; and each and every one of them were so on point! Their impersonations (both from a physical and character perspective) impromptu scripting etc. were superb! The Negan at the end of the maze however always seemed to be one of the standard maze actors who was simply dressed up as Negan (IMO). 

I think it will be a real shame if they lose the high level of standard, as the opening scene is the best part of the maze (IMO).

4 hours ago, Rach666 said:

So in regards to WDLN maze...(spoiler alert just in case anyone has not had chance to experience it yet)

Hide contents

Do you think they will retain the same level of class with the opening Negan actors? I visited FN 3 times last year, each time with a different actor; and each and every one of them were so on point! Their impersonations (both from a physical and character perspective) impromptu scripting etc. were superb! The Negan at the end of the maze however always seemed to be one of the standard maze actors who was simply dressed up as Negan (IMO). 

I think it will be a real shame if they lose the high level of standard, as the opening scene is the best part of the maze (IMO).

Yeah I do agree, like I want Thorpe to pull this off really well and have a amazing themed ride intertwined with a quality maze and if they are they will need to keep it up to standard hopefully but overtime I think it will go down but knowing Thorpe they will probably pull this off not exactly to plan... typical Thorpe haha I love the park tho.

I hope Living Nightmare (a good maze) isn't dragged into this..

I know its next door and all, but the park already have Ghost Train and IAC to soak up sh** tons of staff/actors, so adding a maze on hopefully won't happen.

If they do decide to add Living Nightmare I seriously think Merlin haven't learnt a single thing from Sub Terra, Saw Alive or even IAC now..

Ooo! I’m now getting excited for this 2018 development! X has always had a charm to me and I hope now they are giving it some attention it can become a great attraction. Currently, it isn’t the best... My dad says it’s so bad he won’t go on it! I disagree, but I do hope he’ll change his mind next year!

54 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

Already this is reminding me of the build up to how IAC was announced back in early 2015 (for those that remember) - silent, vertical videos filmed across the other side of the park by staff members for an attraction nobody really asked for, or is remotely interested in.

At least IAC didn't get rid of any current rides, biggest problem with this ride is its replacement of a decent (and quite popular) family ride.

Coincidental that Thorpe knock out a video shortly after enthusiasts discuss how there's nothing to talk about / no interest in it...

Certainly captured interest on social media.

For those who didn't work out the message, it's binary and says 'SAFE ZONE X 05/03/18 09:00'.  So there's our announcement day.

It's nice to see some kind of teaser/marketing. I mean fake viral videos with secret codes are about as half aresed as can be but I'll take any news. Also it's the first time I've seen anyone else on social media who are actually aware Thorpe is doing anything new. In comparison, most non-enthusiasts only know about SW8 and Towers enthusiasts talk mainly about SW8 and Icon.

7 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Coincidental that Thorpe knock out a video shortly after enthusiasts discuss how there's nothing to talk about / no interest in it...

Certainly captured interest on social media.

For those who didn't work out the message, it's binary and says 'SAFE ZONE X 05/03/18 09:00'.  So there's our announcement day.

Interesting X is still referred to. Maybe they are keeping the X theme and just trashing it to make it miserable and abandoned looking. Wouldn't put it past Merlin to do that! <_<

To be fair, Wickerman and Icon are huge investments for their respective parks.  The Safe Zone thing is a very small thing, which is more likely there to represent a 'look at us we do have something new' style investment, which Thorpe have done since seemingly forever.

If you look at their other small investments, they're always announced late.  And in some cases, like the original X retheme, they didn't even announce it, it just sort of...appeared..

On 20/01/2018 at 4:00 PM, Stuntman707 said:

Maybe they are keeping the X theme and just trashing it to make it miserable and abandoned looking. Wouldn't put it past Merlin to do that! <_<

They wouldn't need to do much to achieve that theme, just keep up the lack of maintenance to the theming and job done!

I think Thorpe's smaller investments recently have been completely directionless and tasteless.

Outdated or completely out of place IP's really does not the help parks lineup or overall atmosphere.

Europa I think really showcases what GOOD small investments are; the re-theming of their kids area or Columbus Dinghy (upgrading attractions/areas and making them enjoyable)

You don't have to tack on a desperate USP to make a good investment..

Don't act like Europa Park doesn't have a strange IP revamp coming though eg. Eurosat to The CanCan Coaster. It's not entirely fair comparing Thorpe to the best theme park in Europe as they would most definately do a better job than Thorpe. However, they do set the standards which both Thorpe and Merlin should take note from on how to create and run the best park.

I'd kind of let Thorpe off for recycling those used, dirty generic kids rides with the neon fences on the condition that they are temporary fillers until they figure out what the hell they are doing with Old Town. John Wardley on flat rides said that they don't match the throughput of track rides by about 3/1, they are ok to have as long as you do something with them. Why go to a theme park to ride flat rides you get at the local fair? Also he claims he was the first to put fountains under a top spin, which now everyone does. :D

I guess Thorpe (and by extension, Merlin) have sort of dug themselves a hole with small investments.

Thorpe had its accelerated growth / development period in the early 2000s, which continued for the rest of the decade, throwing in new investments every year, and each year those were worthwhile, needed investments which added to the line up and help them grow.  It set them apart, in that whilst every other park would have a year or two (or longer) with nothing new, Thorpe could shout 'look at us, we have new stuff'.  Do that for long enough, and the public expect something new every year.  If Thorpe didn't, they'd potentially lose visitors 'because there's nothing new'.

It worked well in the naughties, and it worked well in the early 2010s when Chessington and Towers adopted those strategies.  But there's only so much worthwhile stuff you can add before it becomes fad stuff / short term investments for the sake of it.  

Very few large / established parks have good 'small years'; many will just add nothing at all.  And that's fine, because they've established themselves as somewhere that doesn't need new stuff to bring visitors back every year.  Merlin haven't been able to establish that thought process with their UK market, and it's what sets them apart in Europe.

Thorpe have struggled the most out of the parks with small investments, thanks to changing target markets and whatever else..

Whats become apparent to me is that increasingly, the small investments always look desperate or knee jerk reactions to something. We can argue about the merits of Derren Brown Ghost Train for ever but at least with that attraction there was a vision, an attempt at something grander then just a flat ride dumped on a bit of dirt. That vision for their big rides never carries over to anything else so what we're left with is dirge like 'I'm a Celeb' or the Tug Boat in Old Town. I don't think anyone can doubt the quality of rides like Swarm, Smiler, Oblivion Black Hole or pretty much anything coaster orientated. It's everything else, the support attractions that leave a lot to be desired. If they could just nail that point that's half the battle.

Ironically, I think Chessington nails the small term investment years quite well. Tiger Falls is a much needed adaptation, Gruffalo is one of the best investments since Dragons Fury and whilst I know some hate Scorpion Express, I think that was a desperately required refurbishment. 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic