The Walking Dead: The Ride - Speculation and 'Construction'

JoshC.

3 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

I love whoever's running the Thrope Facebook account right now, very whitty! :P

image.png.3215f372af3c7c40f90dc83475258d6f.png

One person who runs all the social media ^_^ inb4 could be better than the actual retheme though...

I'd be surprised if the rumours are true and Thorpe opened Living Nightmare alongside everything else. Actors aren't cheap and you'd need to have a dedicated Fright Nights style team to keep the maze up to standards. Possibly staggered openings like IAC if anything? If IAC is coming back, that is... :wacko:

Thorpe have announced that Saw Alive will be operational during the six weeks of the summer opening at 12pm and closing at 10 during the 10pm days at the park. Also Thorpe are leaving little hints from the Emily video of a walker at Thorpe Park that had a code on it that was binary and it spelt 'SAFEZONE X 05/03/18' So that gives us a rough date of when a possible announcement for TWD or X retheme. Also Thorpe Park have also confirmed that yet again Loggers Leap will be sat to rot as they close it for 're development' more decaying of loggers.

Anyway I like the Saw move but whether it will work is another thing as when it was a permanent attraction it didnt work out.  

Interesting article about “zombie” jobs at Thorpe. Makes me wonder if the park is planning to have permanent roaming actors during this season. Also having them audition at heights, do they plan on having actors on the lift hills? :P

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/must-reads/thorpe-park-resort-advertise-scarers-work-year-walking-dead/05/02/

It is the year of the walking dead with multiple Walking Dead themed experiences taking over THORPE PARK Official! Return at 9am tomorrow morning for even more information!

The Walking Dead Living Nightmare Extreme (the live action horror maze at its most terrifying) available only for May Half Term (25th May – 3rd June)

Summer Nights, opening until 10pm (Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 26th July – 1st September)

Zombie Hunt – an extreme battle for survival in woodland on the outskirts of Thorpe Park Resort for the six weeks of summer (21st July – 3rd September)

Fright Nights – returns to Thorpe Park Resort with a Walking Dead theme (5th October – 31st October)

Colour me... intrigued.

I have said time and time again that scare attractions don't work in theme parks outside of Halloween.  And for now, I stand by that.  Yes, demand is growing, but there's so many independent events all around the country all year round that the parks can't really outperform them consistently enough.

However, this seems to be giving a good mix of scare stuff.  An 'extreme' maze (whether that's marketing speil or they're actually doing a Face it Alone style thing I remain sceptical over, but we'll see) for a week, the scary weekends and Saw Alive in summer.  Also, the Zombie Hunt sounds awesome might I add - imagine a proper scare zone survival type game on the island behind Swarm or Treasure Island.  If that's what we're getting, I'm down for that!  That's a good mix of stuff, and with their limited availability, it can definitely draw on that appeal and be kept fresh.  So there's definitely a huge amount of potential there.  And frankly, it's good to see more events at the park again.

On the other hand, my biggest concern is the fact that for the third year in a row, we've got yet another super scary thing as headline marketing draw.  Have they decided that the family marketing route isn't going to give them enough of a draw?  So are they just targeting the adult market again whilst knowing that families will still come regardless?  Who knows.  But it's definitely a weird direction they're going in at the mo.

13 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Have they decided that the family marketing route isn't going to give them enough of a draw?

For this week, yes - but expect a change of direction probably around 10am on Monday after their first cup of coffee, and find some more family flats open on a rotational basis to appear dumped outside the Safe Zone in 2018 :D

The new kiddies rides were dumped there because Merlin owned them and they needed to put them somewhere. Chessington is tight on space, they wouldn't fit in Legoland and Alton Towers has Cbeebies land so really it was Thorpe, storing them or selling them for £7.50.

The fact they didn't really promote them doesn't really matter, I doubt Thorpe really wanted them to be honest. But, if someone else (Merlin) is paying for installation, branding and training etc ....

I'm not the biggest fan of TWD but I approve of the direction they are headed. Year round scare attractions don't really work but really, they are just opening them during their busiest times to soak up the crowds. Also the TWD license would not have been cheap. 

Whilst it's sad we're probably losing X for the time being it's better than SWARM being turned into a VR coaster or Nemesis Inferno being run backwards. 

• JoshC. unpinned this topic