The Walking Dead: The Ride - Speculation and 'Construction'

JoshC.

Going to ride this next week, honestly I'm expecting X with a bunch of Zombie paint.

Thorpe honestly I think could be considered even more soul-less than Chessie now..

1 hour ago, GetEchoes said:

What development doesnt get mixed reviews?

Lost Kingdom at Paultons.. No tacky IP, a theme that doesn't make you want to swallow a bunch anti-depressants.. Oh, and it won't be closed and abandoned in the next 5 years.

22 minutes ago, Themeparkwizard said:

Its Actually A Cool Easter Egg, It Says Thorpe Park Safe Zone Transit System On It Along With The Bit Behind That Is Basically The X Logo

Oh cool! It’s great Thorpe have included these Easter eggs and not just forgotten about X. It looks like they have done a good job with the walking dead:the ride. Now I’m looking forward to riding it!

3 hours ago, JoelAllen said:

Oh cool! It’s great Thorpe have included these Easter eggs and not just forgotten about X. It looks like they have done a good job with the walking dead:the ride. Now I’m looking forward to riding it!

Honestly, It Really Does Look Like A Good Ride, Another Good Easter Egg Is A License Plate In The Exit Which Says "XNWO WD"

10 hours ago, Themeparkwizard said:

Honestly, It Really Does Look Like A Good Ride, 

We must be looking at different rides because to me it looks like a dated IP plastered all over a kiddie coaster for the sake of something new for as little cost as possible.

The IP is a bad choice and I think it looks cheap. They didn't even get rid of the old station signs.

51 minutes ago, Project LC said:

We must be looking at different rides because to me it looks like a dated IP plastered all over a kiddie coaster for the sake of something new for as little cost as possible.

The IP is a bad choice and I think it looks cheap. They didn't even get rid of the old station signs.

I will be honest, it does have really good theming but it doesnt make sense retheming a family coaster to a 13+ horror experience, and if I'm honest, the retheme wasnt necessary since x was refurbished less than a year ago. WD Still Looks good, but is not nearly as good as X

Theres a lot of people mentioning the whole family coaster into a horror experience which seems to be swaying the reviews of the ride. The coasters might of been a family coaster, but its not anymore. A family coaster is one that has family friendly theming and doesnt throw you about too much. Its no longer a family coaster, it would make no sense to put TWD Ride on a coaster like nemesis inferno - it wouldn't make sense. The coaster fits what they have done, and now its as a story. Not some coaster in the semi-dark with barely audible music. 

If you want family coasters, then I think its best placed to go to Chessington. Not all parks have to cater for all audiences. When looking at the ticketing Thorpe have clearly seen their core market is the teen-age market, so this makes total sense from a business point of view. 

A Thrill coaster wouldn't work - the theming wouldn't work and it would just be a bit of walking dead theming in the queue and then a coaster bolted on. At least they tried to theme it, put in a coherent story for the coaster being the transit system around the park. 

I say well done to Thorpe in trying to refresh the rides. TWD clearly works for them or they wouldn't of done it.

1 minute ago, TPC said:

I would beg to differ. An island like no other marketing is clearly designed for families, not just thrill seekers these days

An Island like no Other is just a tag line. I cant remember the last time I saw any marketing for the park that was for families. Maybe it does scream families, but I dont read it or ever seen it like that.

If I was planning for a day out with younger kids, Thorpe wouldn't even make it on the list of parks, even though its my closest park. Legoland or Chessington would be the ones. Could criticise Chessingon and Legoland for having nothing for the older/teenage market in the same way of Thorpe removing more family friendly coasters.

Just now, Benin said:

Thorpe's indecisive nature of additions doesn't help... Angry Birds, IAC followed by the scariest rides ever created* is slightly nonsensical when timed into their adverts...

*Courtesy of Merlin's PR team.

Couldn't agree more with that! 

They have been all over the place, but then so has the theme park market. Family was the way to go for so long (hence Cbeebies Land, Angry Birds, Legoland, etc...) think it might be going back to wanting more thrills these days and the Walking Dead etc has proven a win for the park, so it makes sense to once again change direction and provide for the people your getting through your doors. 

Just good business to change with the marketplace. I do agree Angry Birds is random, although probably took a Long IP so have to have it in some form for a while...

I would not say that the park are responding to market conditions. They are randomly changing direction presumably because of the change in director. 

The park seems to have no long term vision and doesn't consider that there investments are going to be there for 20+ years. This ride is another where the same mistake has happened again. 

Thorpe is going to look incredibly dated in 10 years time without serious investment. Not only should they consider replacing Colossus by then but also, Saw, IAC, walking dead, Angry Birds, DBGTROTD, samurai, vortex, slammer, and loggers leap. I highly doubt Merlin will be spending the kind of money ontop of new investments to make up for the rapidly aging park they have built themselves. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 4:00 PM, Project LC said:

I would not say that the park are responding to market conditions. They are randomly changing direction presumably because of the change in director. 

The park seems to have no long term vision and doesn't consider that there investments are going to be there for 20+ years. This ride is another where the same mistake has happened again. 

Thorpe is going to look incredibly dated in 10 years time without serious investment. Not only should they consider replacing Colossus by then but also, Saw, IAC, walking dead, Angry Birds, DBGTROTD, samurai, vortex, slammer, and loggers leap. I highly doubt Merlin will be spending the kind of money ontop of new investments to make up for the rapidly aging park they have built themselves. 

Thorpe have sadly jumped onto the Walking Dead wagon a little too late.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic