TPM Meets 2018 Planning

Ryan

Hi all!

We're currently in the process of drafting up next year's meet list and would like some feedback/suggestions from yourselves. We are looking at reducing the list of meets to around 8-10 per year, this way we can concentrate on the quality rather than quantity of meets. The current plan includes an International meet, potential replacement location for Guildford meet yet to be confirmed, Thorpe opening weekend, Blackpool, Alton Towers and Fright Nights. 

If you have any suggestions or ideas for 2018 meets then please post in here!

• Ryan pinned this topic

Right, so based on the 8-10 trips a year (over the previous 10-12), I would like to bring up the following. 

2018:

January- Guildford replacement- I am assuming the Spectrum is to be (temporarily?) closed next year as part of the refurbishment/rebuilding process. 

Should tgis be the case, potential replacement ideas could include (but not be limited to) Jarman Park Hemel, Crawley or Basingstoke (they have a water park). 

March- Thorpe open meet- It isn't TPM without an open meet.

April- Chessington, usually popular and Empires makes for a fun banterous gathering.

May- International Meet?

Could make a poll in advance giving people the choice of where to go.

Liseberg might be a good choice  with it's new coaster and easy transport connections, but parks like Phantasialand and Efteling could also be considered amongst others.

June Towers Meet, could be done in November for fireworks alternatively. 

July- Anything goes. An alternative UK park maybe or even another Thorpe trip. I am unsure if or wether Ministry Of Sound will return.

September- Blackpool, Icon is calling! 

October- Thorpe Fright Nights. Could combine with Tulleys but that might be going too far. Another staple meet.

December- Christmas Meet. Ho ho ho. 

I think trips rips should be announced in advance, especially abroad/further distance ones so things such as planning, holiday and traveling can be researched. 

At the the end of the day, the meets aren't about the parks, but the people attending them making laugh out loud memories to remember years into the future.

Hi Ryan,

I haven't been to many meets this year but I hope to come to one soon. I think the ideas that Timber Creek suggests above are pretty good. Any trip for me (even a trip to Thorpe) takes quite a bit of preparation as it often involves staying over the night and travelling over 3 hours minimum. I do also still work the occasional weekend to.  For me if we could get the dates confirmed 3-4 months in advance it would be really helpful. I think this would also help others who do not live so close to the parks as others do. I have said before but I also feel you could use your Facebook page to advertise the meets to attract more people. Links on the Facebook page to the forum maybe good to. Hope to see you all again soon.

Well like I previously said - Hansa Park is faaaab! - I think TPM could have a lot of fun there!..... could be paired with Heide Park - or indeed Liseberg - as Sweden isn't that far - theres also Hamburg Dungeons! 

Phantasialand and Efteling is another good paring - perhaps making it a hat trick with Toverland - if their new themed area/coaster are open!

I really want to get over to Tayto park too - could in theory be done in a day  flying into Dublin (or just one night). 

I agree with Creek that a Chessington meet would be nice.  Certainly would be a shame for a predominantly Merlin-orientated forum to not go to a park when they're adding a medium-sized investment. 

International meet has plenty of potential - Phantasialand would be great (especially if Rookburgh opens next year), Parc Asterix, Liseberg and dare I say Poland (Energylandia and Legendia) are all reasonable options, but happy to go with the flow. 

Looking forward to what 201 throws up! 

• 3 weeks later...

I can honestly say Liseberg is one of the easiest European parks to get out to.

A 1.5-2 hour flight from Heathrow (BA), Gatwick (Norwegian) or Stanstead (Ryanair), followed by a shuttle that goes from the airport directly outside the park. Very handy. 

Liseberg  boasts three top (hopefully soon) four quality coasters and what is arguably one of the best flat collections in any park.

Think Towers is scheduled for April. A provisional meet lineup for 2018 has now been made.

Being totes selfish I'd throw in Portsmouth as the Guildford replacement... There is a Flip Out and the refurbed bowling at Gunwharf is awesome. No ice skating alas.

Taxis in Pompey are super cheap too which would solve any car issues getting about. And we have Uber lads.

Defo up from Thorpe opening meet and maybe Chessington too.

• Ryan unpinned this topic