Tiger Rock

The rock is built and is being painted - I hope it isn't finished as the back is completely bare framework and it looks awful. The ride was actually testing aswell on Wednesday, couldn't take any photos or anything because my phone is broken and my replacement wasn't good enough.

I saw loads from the cobra queue yesterday- most people were quite oblivious to the fact there was a HUGE tiger pacing behind them! They must have only arrived recently as all she/he seemed to do was pace and check out the area. The enclosures look very spacious, Though I thought that they weren't as nicely furnished as the Sumatran Tigers' living space in Trail of the Kings. It seemed a bit bare. The big new tiger head does look impressive and hopefully willl look even better when finished!

• 3 weeks later...

FB_IMG_1524912088205.jpg

FFS Merlin. Please give up, just go, leave our parks, sell them, close them frankly if this is what constitutes for improvements in you book.

That didn't just happen, obviously. Money has been spent to turn the fantastic dragons head into that. Actual money. By the people who supposedly can't afford basic upkeep or remotely appropriate opening hours.

So so sad.

Whelp, the dragon tunnel looks tragic ?

And who the hell allowed the old photo booth to be boarded up and turned into the world’s smallest shop?? It looks awful from the outside.

this is a shame because the tiger rock itself, and the work to the inside of the tunnel and station looks good. Thank goodness the extended the tunnel back to it’s full length as well 

THIS from the same park, owned by the same company which gave us the surprisingly good Gruffaloworks only just 13 months ago?

I’m... I’m... lost for words. What an utterly depressing view to see that lovely dragon’s head turned into something as stale and lifeless as that. Sure, the station looks nice and pretty and the final drop is themed once again, but that’s as far as the good stuff goes from what I’ve seen so far.

Oh you are joking.

The tiger rockwork looks good but not nearly as nice and detailed as the dragon feature was, and I really don't see why it was necessary to do that - like, how does that improve it in any way?  At least they still have an operating log flume which is more than can be said for Thorpe or Alton though.

Based on the photographs I am both impressed and disappointed from this project.

The station, tunnel (interior) and theming on the (actual) drop look really nice. However the (remaining) lack of theming on lifts 1&2 and tunnel entrance are nothing but disappointing should they remain like that.

I think it generally looks okay to be honest. There's clearly things like the Dragon which should have been left alone (what were they thinking) and it's kind of frustrating that the bits that haven't been cleaned or replaced (like the bamboo hanging off the trough after the final drop) haven't been given attention. But in general it looks perfectly fine and I really like the tiger rock. Mixing the Zoo in more with the rides is the right direction for Chessington.

Oh- holy...wow, Chessington. I'm all for updating, I'm all for refurbishing - what I do not understand is the consistency of vile s**t that Merlin regurgitate into UK 'theme' parks.

All Merlin seem to have in storage are fences or dilapidated walls. Their parks just look like a ****ing discontinued Wicks paradise.

(that's me done now for another few years).

The Great: The tigers look gorgeous, the tiger face on the drop looks better than the original statues (yes I'm being bold) and the station looks well done both inside and out (at least in video form).

The Meh: I'm not feeling the Jurassic Park style unthemed massive fences, a shame they couldn't have done something prettier with them, it kind of takes away from the new bits they have given effort to. 

The Awful: Poorly touching up or not even touching some of the old left over rotting Dragon Falls stuff just looks awful. Speaking of awful, that tunnel, Christ...

As others have said, it's strange that some parts are so well done and other parts are crap, I'll just assume with it being Merlin that the budgets got slashed.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Tiger Rock