Fright Nights 2018 - General Discussion

TPC

On 4/26/2018 at 1:42 AM, Thrill Nation said:

On top of this. If you search FIGARO BROS on Google. You get a new private company that has just taken the name FIGARO BROS. The people in power run a company that hasn't launched yet called XSCREAM ESCAPES.  

All seems weird. Picture proof below 

Screenshot_20180426-013827.jpg

Screenshot_20180426-013819.jpg

Figaro Bros is the company who have made a few of the mazes, judging by the website I think Thorpe have used them for a few... https://www.figaro-bros.com 

They are a design company who probably assemble the fright night mazes. Big top had "Figaro Bros Presents" which I believe was also used as the name of the owners of the big top circus?? 

- apologies if that has been already mentioned but couldn't see anything. 

As for the companies house, it doesn't surprise me that there is a second company they own - which given the name sounds like a Escape Room company. I cant see that being anything todo with Thorpe, but probably a similar company to the Figaro construction company. Many small business owners are usually a director of several companies. Rides/attractions generally dont have their own company name in Companies house.... as they are a brand not a entity that makes profit - the park does and just trademarks the name... 

Figaro Bros, the company, was formed in February 2018.

The Figaro Brothers, the characters of The Big Top, were introduced in the 2015 incarnation, which was also notoriously well known for including many Derren Brown Easter Eggs. The brothers were the Ringleader, Kenny the Clown and Big Baby. The Ringleader and Big Baby were characters within the maze. Kenny the Clown was a nod to Paul McKenna, a hypnotist who Derren once was friends with, but had a falling out with. The name Figaro came from the name of one of Derren's pet parrots, as did the name for Madame Mephisto. I believe the Ringleader, who had a bit of an Eastern European accent in adverts and announcements, was to be called Rasputin, after Derren's third parrots, but that was never formally announced... Anyway, I digress...

What it likely is is that this newly formed company is made up of a former employee(s) of Thorpe who has decided to work on their own projects now. They're probably using their work at Thorpe as an example to help get their exposure up. It happens regularly enough - people get experience at a large company, then use that experience and the contacts they make to start up their own company, or join a startup company, with a greater say in things.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I s'pose last year we had the world's worst kept secret with Walking Dead, and the previous year Platform 15 was announced in April.

This year there's nothing, and any rumours that have surfaced have been uninteresting.

Hopefully they can pull something out the bag, but I imagine it'll be difficult. 

20 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

It's still early days and not much mentioned as of yet. It will pick up after summer gets out the way.

Not really? Every other park has announced something and started advertising. This time last year, platform and WD had lots of talking going on.  It' going to be a tricky year for FNs. 

1 hour ago, ProudToServe said:

Not really? Every other park has announced something and started advertising. This time last year, platform and WD had lots of talking going on.  It' going to be a tricky year for FNs. 

The park will still concentrate on promoting it after the summer is it the way, regardless of whether anything new is announced or not. Why would they advertise FN now whilst trying to concentrate on getting people in during Love Island Lates?

18 hours ago, Coaster said:

Fright Nights lost its way a few years ago for me, my favourite year was 2011 but up until 2015 it was still a fun event.  It seems that with the decision to go with Walking Dead as a year-round theme, there is little in the way of different offerings for October.

Strange opinion, I greatly see Fright nights as a fun event. Especially as it's just the same as TP but with the added value of rides in the dark and a load of mazes, and how much does that added value cost, next to nothing.

I think 2017 was actually a decent year for the event..

Platform and Big Top were both really strong IMO and Living Nightmare was fairly good.

Sure the events atmosphere is a bit weak with a roaming team that sometimes you forget exist at all and decorations that look like a really tacky halloween party,

but maze wise I think the event is better than ever.

Hopefully they improve that this year..

I preferred it in the days they used the midnight syndicate music. For several years every attraction had a different track. It's very generic audio wise now days and reduces the atmosphere greatly IMO. You couldn't beat humpty dumpty on Detonator!

I still thoroughly enjoyed platform 15 and, Big Top last season and am still looking forward to FN this year. 

3 hours ago, TallGuyDom said:

Strange opinion, I greatly see Fright nights as a fun event. Especially as it's just the same as TP but with the added value of rides in the dark and a load of mazes, and how much does that added value cost, next to nothing.

Unless you own an annual pass and have to pay...

Fright Nights is still fun but I used to find it outstanding, whereas it has lost its touch in recent years IMO.

21 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I think 2017 was actually a decent year for the event..

Platform and Big Top were both really strong IMO and Living Nightmare was fairly good.

Sure the events atmosphere is a bit weak with a roaming team that sometimes you forget exist at all and decorations that look like a really tacky halloween party,

but maze wise I think the event is better than ever.

Hopefully they improve that this year..

?

22 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

The park will still concentrate on promoting it after the summer is it the way, regardless of whether anything new is announced or not. Why would they advertise FN now whilst trying to concentrate on getting people in during Love Island Lates?

You can advertise more than one thing at once. If you understand marketing, you'd advertise it in the park during summer (as they have done before) when guest numbers are high after seeing paid ad's out of the park for Summer related stuff (two birds one stone..). I'll cost next to nothing to produce signage. So right now, it's just poor planning, they don't know what they are doing for FN or can't multitask. 

Why are all the other parks advertising Halloween stuff now during summer? Because thats when the most volume of people are visiting the park and watching their social media channels. It's a no brainer. Advertising Halloween related stuff now, wont take away the volume to summer, you just have to advertise it correctly and release the right information.

EDIT: Thorpe teased the first news about WD on the 25th July 2017. So running a little behind..