Fright Nights 2018 - General Discussion

TPC

I think Asylum returning is highly unlikely considering IAC and the nutters who are offended by everything.

The Blair Witch space also seems to be all ready and set up which leads me to believe that Blair Witch has a 99% chance of being the 'classic maze'.

I think Sanctum occupying the Big Top spot is another a bad decision, Sanctum was kinda isolated in its location near Swarm which helped the atmosphere, now if its going next to Zodiac then the maze will probably lose any atmosphere it had last year..

Sure the muddiness was unpleasant but now the maze will probably have its atmosphere completely ruined by the location being out in the open.

They could of perhaps put temporary flooring in to fix that issue anyway, if they don't change the attraction drastically it will probably be even more dire than last year if it is put in that location.

If Thorpe confirm Blair is replacing Big Top I think I might just lose all hope for the event this year.

2 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

According to ScareTOUR, Thorpe have recently confirmed one of their classic mazes may be returning alongside The Walking Dead this year.

Okay so if Big Top goes then fair enough I'll kick off but what if Asylum's replacing it?

I just had a thought - could it be my bloody valentine? - the only reason I say that is due to it being put in the location where BT was when the arena was shut off for construction of DBGT.  And it was mainly shipping containers.  Either way I’m losing hope for a decent FN ?

Regardless of which previous maze is supposedly returning, my question is this - why? What is the point in holding onto an older maze from years ago other than to give the impression of “we can’t innovate or stretch the imagination enough to build a new one from scratch anymore, so we’re just gonna rebuild an old design”? It makes no sense whatsoever and shows the park won’t let go of the past.

So as it stacks up, this is what we could be seeing for 2018:

• No return of Big Top.

• Possible relocation of cruddy Sanctum.

• Reigniting a partnership with Lionsgate.

• Bringing back an outdoor scare attraction themed on Blair Witch.

How very “year of The Walking Dead” 2018 has become...

4 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

Regardless of which previous maze is supposedly returning, my question is this - why? What is the point in holding onto an older maze from years ago other than to give the impression of “we can’t innovate or stretch the imagination enough to build a new one from scratch anymore, so we’re just gonna rebuild an old design”? It makes no sense whatsoever and shows the park won’t let go of the past.

So as it stacks up, this is what we could be seeing for 2018:

• No return of Big Top.

• Possible relocation of cruddy Sanctum.

• Reigniting a partnership with Lionsgate.

• Bringing back an outdoor scare attraction themed on Blair Witch.

How very “year of The Walking Dead” 2018 has become...

Hit the nail on the head. Why BW, what was so amazing about it, that deserves it's returned? I am also getting annoyed at how people keep saying "a new maze" no, it's the return of a walk in the forest and a shed. 

13 minutes ago, ProudToServe said:

Hit the nail on the head. Why BW, what was so amazing about it, that deserves it's returned? I am also getting annoyed at how people keep saying "a new maze" no, it's the return of a walk in the forest and a shed. 

With the middle of the road scare rating. Maybe they’ll up the effort from the SF 3/5 experience (which generally equates to not many actors and therefore cheaper lol).

maybe they think the other mazes are too ‘intense’ for thrill seakers so it’s a beginner Level 1 experience 

The lineup is pretty obvious tbh.

Fright Nights 2018:

Bore Alive: Do you like drab and dated mazes that have a million broken effects?

Blair (Why is this back) Witch?: Its not terrible but its painfully mediocre.

Plonked shipping containers and a few actors: Just as bad as it sounds.

A good maze with a terribly paced bore of a finale: The only reason to come.

A maze that is pretty decent but lasts two seconds: Its better than nothing.

Plus.. A escape room that will leave you half asleep.

I had a thought the other day, what if Blair Witch is going to be run in reverse this year? The exit for it has plenty of room for temporary queue barriers, removing the issue with the two new rides blocking the old queue lines, and ends up moving the mazes spread a bit more around the park. Otherwise you have 4 mazes really close to each other. 

There's also little chance to see that Blair Witch symbol (that you see now from Nemesis's exit) at night, when that maze only opens, unless they put more lighting there, which they would need if there was a queue system there. 

Another thought, it opens less hours than other mazes too. So it's cheaper for Thorpe to run in terms of paying actors too ?

Now while I give my own theory very little credibility due to how long Saw Alive has outstayed it's welcome and I don't doubt it will be any different this year; perhaps the reason why it stayed open this summer was because it will be replaced by a new maze this FN? I find it hard to believe Thorpe would close it at the end of summer to reopen it literally a month later- and since they have the existing infrastructure it wouldn't take them as long as it would to build an entirely new maze... or maybe I'm just clutching at straws. Regardless, I do find it hard to believe Thorpe would not give us any new mazes at all, and if Blair is the 'classic' maze they are bringing back I will be lowkey hella frustrated.

One final thought, I'm not very big into horror films or FN's pre-2015 but perhaps they are bringing back a maze who's franchise released a new film maybe??

16 minutes ago, Belle_101 said:

Now while I give my own theory very little credibility due to how long Saw Alive has outstayed it's welcome and I don't doubt it will be any different this year; perhaps the reason why it stayed open this summer was because it will be replaced by a new maze this FN? I find it hard to believe Thorpe would close it at the end of summer to reopen it literally a month later- and since they have the existing infrastructure it wouldn't take them as long as it would to build an entirely new maze... or maybe I'm just clutching at straws. Regardless, I do find it hard to believe Thorpe would not give us any new mazes at all, and if Blair is the 'classic' maze they are bringing back I will be lowkey hella frustrated.

One final thought, I'm not very big into horror films or FN's pre-2015 but perhaps they are bringing back a maze who's franchise released a new film maybe??

The only maze that has had a newish film is Blair Witch. The rest from the past (cabin, my bloody valentine, se7en) are kinda old films now. I can’t think of any other mazes linked to recent movies... The return of se7en would be a surprise indeed ?

Personally I think Blair witch, saw, and the two walking dead mazes are gonna be there along with platform 15.

As Saw alive has the ride with it, I doubt the maze is going anywhere, plus the film franchise is very popular still with jigsaw out last year.

1 minute ago, jessica2 said:

The only maze that has had a newish film is Blair Witch. The rest from the past (cabin, my bloody valentine, se7en) are kinda old films now. I can’t think of any other mazes linked to recent movies... The return of se7en would be a surprise indeed ?

Personally I think Blair witch, saw, and the two walking dead mazes are gonna be there along with platform 15.

As Saw alive has the ride with it, I doubt the maze is going anywhere, plus the film franchise is very popular still with jigsaw out last year.

In which case, perhaps Saw Alive will have a complete remake to suit Jigsaw more than the previous Saw films?

35 minutes ago, MilesK said:

That’s what the website says ?

Theyve also said this year will be their biggest and most terrifying event to date. But then again, don’t they say that every year..

If they're saying that, it must mean they're going to have mazes to top Asylum, E10 etc?  Bring it on in that case, the hype is real!