Fright Nights 2018 - General Discussion

TPC

2 hours ago, StevenVig said:

You are correct, it's going to be a timed show featuring elements of The Big Top.

Pointless if you ask me, they have held shows in the dome before (Circus of Horrors) and it just doesn't work. It's too open and too noisy.

I dont think it is gonna be a show as I have seen scare actors discussing their rolls as roaming clowns in the big top showtime :)

Right, so with this new announcement today, this is what we have for Fright Nights 2018. Italic ones mean they are "new", or something:

• Saw Alive - ticked off as done for 2018 earlier this summer. Not unique to FN.
• Platform 15 - average outdoor attraction with a long tunnel again.
• Living Nightmare - again, ticked off earlier this year during summer. Not unique to FN.

• Containment - more than likely the same rooms as before with a +£10 charge.

• Do or Die - Sanctum with a different name. Simples.
• Blair Witch - why is this back again? Never thought it was that good.
• Terror at Amity High - Dead End Terror Zone meets Amity Cove?
• Vulcan Peak - I'm a Celeb meets The Passing?

• Screamplexx Cinema - 99% certain it will just be Walking Dead scenes coupled with the occasional Lionsgate film.
• The Big Top: Showtime - I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the best attraction in 2016/2017 becoming this...

If you factor in Do or Die just being a revised version of Sanctum, the return of Blair Witch and cancel out the scare zones and cinema, the only genuine new maze for this year is Vulcan Peak, which is frankly just gonna be "I'm a Celeb: Extreme Edition" with bags on your head to hide yourself from the frighteningly glaring faces of contempt from Ant and Dec.

Still not hyped or excited about this year one bit.

I have to say I have very low expectations for Vulcan Peak,

hooded mazes (bar Molly Crowe) usually are crap and I'm guessing they're just gonna set up a rope for the layout and do nothing else to the building..

Hellements and Molly relied on the floor elevation and special effects, I'm guessing Vulcan will lack this completely making it even worse than Dull-ements.

Living Nightmare and Platform are the only things drawing me back this year,

hopefully they prove me wrong with Vulcan Peak..

34 minutes ago, TPC said:

Is it just me who noticed a mistake regarding the big top tagline? I'm the press release, it is called Big Top Unleashed but the website and picture call it Big Top Showtime...

I also noticed this, maybe it was planned to be a scare zone but they decided a show would be easier to prepare last minute...

20 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I have to say I have very low expectations for Vulcan Peak,

hooded mazes (bar Molly Crowe) usually are crap and I'm guessing they're just gonna set up a rope for the layout and do nothing else to the building..

Hellements and Molly relied on the floor elevation and special effects, I'm guessing Vulcan will lack this completely making it even worse than Dull-ements.

Living Nightmare and Platform are the only things drawing me back this year,

hopefully they prove me wrong with Vulcan Peak..

I'm interested to see what they do with it too... I’m not quite sure how they pull off an entirely hooded maze when there’s tunnels, slides and big squeezes all in the I’m a celeb building. I also think it would be better without the hoods as they would have a decently themed maze and would be able to use things such as the solitary shower cubicle things to create some cool scares. As I said it’s all very interesting, and unless only part of it is in I’m a celeb I’m not quite sure how they’ll make it:

1. long enough, without the interaction from I’m a celeb actors you could walk through within 2-3 minutes

And 2. Have a good finale, how will they make a frantic and safe finale when the only way out of the normal I’m a celeb building is via a slide. 

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

I also noticed this, maybe it was planned to be a scare zone but they decided a show would be easier to prepare last minute...

And why is everyone assuming it’s a show? Yes it says “show” in the attraction title however thats the whole theme of it! I would be highly surprised If Thorpe decide to make it a timed show. I do think it’s a scare zone as it is advertised as one and there’s no evidence that it is a show..

someone prove me wrong here.. 

Just now, ItzAdam said:

And why is everyone assuming it’s a show? Yes it says “show” in the attraction title however thats the whole theme of it! I would be highly surprised If Thorpe decide to make it a timed show. I do think it’s a scare zone as it is advertised as one and there’s no evidence that it is a show..

someone prove me wrong here.. 

I’m just listening to what other people have suggested, it’s all just rumours and speculation. I’m definitely hoping it is a scare zone!

As others have touched upon; there is no reference of TWD:DOD on the image, despite confirming it; and two more are covered up. The text saying about an outbreak in dockyard makes me think there could be roamers, and the biohazard is completely unknown as yet. However the marquee curtains have been drawn for a while now, and SWARM could cater a biohazard story alongside it. Aside from this, the image clearly is ‘Page 12’ in the corner which, seems random, and awkwardly suggestive of 12 attractions, as surely it’d have made more sense to call it ‘Page 10’ otherwise.

As it stands though, it’s not overly enticing me. Naturally, I’ll give it a go; but I don’t feel enthralled like usual.

With Big Top being gone, which was easily the headliner for the past 3 years, it'll be interesting to see what attraction, if any, takes that role.

Every Fright Nights has had a natural headliner, the one everyone knows and wants to do. Freezer and Asylum held the role, Studio 13 kept it warm for a year, then Big Top has fulfilled that.

But nothing major jumps out to me this year. With Living Nightmare and Saw already having opened this year, they are well known, but not necessarily for being 'the' Fright Nights attraction. I guess Sanctum Do or Die could fill that role, but we all know that needs significant work. Platform 15 is good, but lacks that headliner draw imo. And nothing else jumps out as major.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Without that one big draw, I wonder how much the park would be affected.

1 hour ago, ItzAdam said:

You completely took what I said out of context. YES I AM AWARE that the big top showtime has show in it.. but isn’t that the theme of the big top? It’s a show. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s literally a show. 

Why are you assuming it's going to be a scare zone, just because it says in the press 'zones with actors', doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a scare zone. Thorpe advertised 6 new mazes, which on released became 6 new mazes and scare zones. The location of the zone and how its worded points more towards a timed show followed by actors then roaming somewhere out of the show times (they wouldnt just leave them in a room till the next show...).

You really need to chill out and stop taking everything people say so serious. We are all here to discuss what could happen this FN. No one needs to prove anyone wrong or right on what they think. We are all reading between the lines until the picture is clearer. If all these rumours are starting to bug you (yes including yours as thats a rumour too) then maybe you shouldn't read the thread.

Trying to picture what a big top show may involve... balloon animals? Slipping on banana skins? A load of clowns running around through the audience?

In all seriousness I don’t think shows are easy to put together, circus of horrors had been touring the UK with theirs and they each had their own unique talents. Could follow a storyline like a play I suppose but I’m struggling to picture it. Maybe it’s a normal circus show with the fortune teller and then the clowns go crazy somehow 

48 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

Trying to picture what a big top show may involve... balloon animals? Slipping on banana skins? A load of clowns running around through the audience?

In all seriousness I don’t think shows are easy to put together, circus of horrors had been touring the UK with theirs and they each had their own unique talents. Could follow a storyline like a play I suppose but I’m struggling to picture it. Maybe it’s a normal circus show with the fortune teller and then the clowns go crazy somehow 

Watch a YouTube vid of the carnival of carnage at HHN, and then cry as you realise Thorpe will never produce anything remotely close to it 

59 minutes ago, Jack said:

Watch a YouTube vid of the carnival of carnage at HHN, and then cry as you realise Thorpe will never produce anything remotely close to it 

I was extremely lucky to see this in person in 2015, it was just out this world. 20min show with tricks, blood, music, and sfx. It's something thorpe would struggle to bring, as they just wouldnt invest the money for it.

16 minutes ago, ProudToServe said:

I was extremely lucky to see this in person in 2015, it was just out this world. 20min show with tricks, blood, music, and sfx. It's something thorpe would struggle to bring, as they just wouldnt invest the money for it.

Yup, cos it’ll probably only stick around for one year!