Favourite Coaster Launches

Mega-Lite

It was rather interesting to see your replies to favourite Coaster drops so I'm back to ask about the other way of kicking coasters into gear (or keeping them rolling).

What is your favourite Coaster launch section?

I reluctantly have to award this one to Taron's second launch section. The sound, the sudden and intense kick of acceleration and the way the train shakes like it's falling apart, it's fantastic.

I can't really think of any runners up at the moment, however I'll be riding Dodonpa and at least 1 of the Chinese S&S launchers next year so I hope that will change things.

Over to you!

+1 for Taron second launch (plus it has the sexy noise to go with it <3)

I'd put Novgorod's up there, the indoor vertical drop leading right into the rolling launch outside with copious amounts of smoke is fab... Also TTD goes in here for the sheer level of force involved in it...

Anubis at Plopsa has a surprisingly good one too (apart from the roughness in the back row)...

This will be no surprise, but mine has to go to Kingda Ka.

Firstly, it’s a very long launch so there’s plenty of time to take in the experience unlike Stealth’s launch (which is good, but much shorter and more forgettable).

The launch feels as if there’s two stages to it. The first half feels like Rita’s launch so it felt like it was finishing after this half. Then all of a sudden the train has another burst of speed (where it reaches 128mph). At this point you are going so unbelievably fast that the wind is the only thing you can hear and feel, it’s just breathtaking.

Taron's second launch is fab.

Stealth I adore, and it definitely has force, it's like the 4/5th fastest accelerating coaster out there, so the outright force is there

And Hulk. Hulk's launch is just so cool throwing you into an inversion.

Thirteen when it speeds up from switch track to the station? That's pretty punchy, better than Rita's that's for sure :P 

Launches are probably an area I'm a bit lacking in overall. Stealth is still my standard when it comes to launch, and I love it; I'd never get bored of that feeling. I may be a planenut of the future.

I really enjoyed Karacho's launch, I think it was my first rolling launch, so that might be why.

My all time favourite, probably through nostalgia but mostly because it was a really surprising and unusual thing at the time, is thunderlooper. Its gravity based technology clearly has nothing on the power of modern launches, but it had a hell of a feeling back then, and Montzoomas at Knott's Berry took me straight back to that moment the first time I powered into that loop. Wonderful.

If we're going to talk about disappointing launches too, I'd go Superman at 6FMM. Looks so promising, feels so nothing.

3 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

Thirteen when it speeds up from switch track to the station? That's pretty punchy, better than Rita's that's for sure

I shout "better than Rita!" every time it does that, great minds think alike!

2 hours ago, pluk said:

I really enjoyed Karacho's launch, I think it was my first rolling launch, so that might be why.

That launch wasn't for me, really didn't enjoy the fact you hit the launch before you had time to readjust yourself from the drop, not best pleasant.

4 hours ago, Terry Terry said:

The launch feels as if there’s two stages to it.

I've always heard that described as a negative, until I ride though, I won't cast judgement, I mean I rode it in my dream once and didn't like it, can I count the cred?

2 hours ago, pluk said:

If we're going to talk about disappointing launches too, I'd go Superman at 6FMM. Looks so promising, feels so nothing.

Well you've just given me prior warning to not get too hyped when I hit it's cousin on the Gold Coast shortly, really not sure what to expect!

Upon further reflection (and staring at creds list) the only other launch that even comes close to Taron in my mind would be the second launch on Juvelen. It takes the experience from a friendly all smiles family coaster to a sudden "oh s**t" moment, I bet it's taken many by surprise and I love it for that.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mega-Lite said:

Well you've just given me prior warning to not get too hyped when I hit it's cousin on the Gold Coast shortly, really not sure what to expect!

Kind of decent as a ride overall though, because the peak of the incline, decelerating into it then falling back out of it, is a great feeling. But the launch itself seems to take an age and lacks thrill because of it.

Also, no mention for Blue Fire? It might not be the most powerful or exiting launch, but it's still a wonderful smooth and comfortable but still punchy acceleration. What really makes it though is the sound it creates, fizzing and crackling down the track. Simply loveleh.

If we're just talking launches, I'll have to go with Stealth as that is an absolute beast of a launch and its definitly the acceleration that gets me, not necessarily the speed. Out of however many I've done, it's the only one where I really feel the force. Furius Baco comes close in this regard. As good as Mack rides are, the launches are relatively gentle and calm compared to the accelerators. 

17 hours ago, pluk said:

Also, no mention for Blue Fire? It might not be the most powerful or exiting launch, but it's still a wonderful smooth and comfortable but still punchy acceleration. What really makes it though is the sound it creates, fizzing and crackling down the track. Simply loveleh.

Haha, I was about to nominate Blue Fire for the most disappointing launch.

I thoroughly enjoyed Blue Fire, but the launch was one of the weakest bits of the ride in my opinion. Saying that, I do like starting launches indoors. 

Well each to their own - so many people tell me what they consider better than the ride I'm actually on at the time, odd, they are here too. the best is what is available to you at the time.

Now have a look at this, but not for the ride (we know it's great), but the comment from Adalia Mason, so scroll down, and think "have I been there?"

youtube.com/watch?v=HN8nv4tVFuA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
13 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

Scratch that. Top Thrill Dragster every day of the week and twice on sundays...ESPECIALLY in the front row!! Not just the best launch but arguably my favourite element on any coaster!!

At night when the tower lights up as the countdown building the suspense. Then when it launches it just keeps going and going. No launch ive been on can compete with its magnificence.

Top Thrill Dragster is definitely the best launch for acceleration, it’s just amazing. Stealth’s launch is still good though.

Maverick is definitely my favourite launch for pace and momentum, it’s so surprising but great at the same time. Taron’s second launch is an honourable mention too!

Thirteen’s pre-station return launch is strangely satisfying too. 

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd bump this.

So I've ranked my favourite launches

1. Top Thrill Dragster- Hydraulic launches at its full power. Its a smooth launch, and the lap bar restraints add to the experience. It feels like Stealth but on steriods.

2. Furius Baco- As marmite as this coaster is. You have to admit the launch is amazing. A 83.9MPH hydraulic launch is great, but in the wing seats. It feels stupidly

powerful. I honestly think this launch gets a little overlooked due to the ride being heavily flawed. But it is amazing.

3. Mr Freeze Reverse Blast- Its been nearly 10 years, but I remember this being an amazing backwards launch. It is a very different style of launch.

4. Maverick's second launch- This moment is so powerful. Easily my favourite LSM launch, it feels just as strong as some of the hydraulic ones do.

5. Stealth- A very powerful hydraulic launch. It is smooth, and the acceleration is brilliant.

6. Rita- It may be the red-headed step child of Alton Towers. But it does have a great launch, I'll give it that.

7.  Taron's rolling launch- This is akin to Maverick, though I would not say it is as good (mostly due to it having speed going in). It still is very strong though and gives some great forces (and a great noise).

8. Wicked Twister/Vertical Velocity- These impulse coasters kind of feel the same to me. They have great launches. It is interesting being launched in

the inverted position.

Dishonourable mention goes to Red Force, it rattles so bad on that launch it gives me a headache. Furius Baco it SMOOTHER on its launch track. Which is

saying something.. Maverick and Taron's first launches also didn't make it as they are more of a way to get the train moving, Blue Fire is somewhat of a honourable mention. I have felt force on it in some rows, though it is not as strong as the 8 I've listed.

Back in 2017 I said Stealth and Furius Baco. I still stand by those two to be honest. The thing with Dragster is you've got to be lucky enough to get on the stupid thing. Half of that ride for me was just relief that I'd got on it and could ignore it for the rest of my trip. After the first roll back I saw and the resultant queue line evacuation, every single time it launched I was a ball of nerves, worrying it would rollback (which it did) and be closed for another hour. 

Stealth may be half the height, but for ride value, at least you can ride the thing relatively easily and its launch feels almost as powerful. 

Shoutout to Fluch Von Norogord for having such a forceful launch as well. 

For the actual launch, my Top 3 would be:

1. Taron's second launch

2. Taiga's second launch

3. Anubis' launch

Stealth remains my favourite stationary launch.

Other specific launches I rate:
-Pulsar's swing launch

-The launch out of the station on Pegase Express (it's slow but took me by surprise)

Launches which don't do much for me:

-Star Trek Operation Enterprise's swing launch is very meh

-As much as I love Helix, and know and appreciate that it's launches should not be viewed as launches in perhaps the 'old fashioned' sense, it's first launch it pretty meh in honesty

EDIT: It says a lot that I completely forgot about Icon's first launch originally, which is rather drab too.