The Small Parks Thread

Benin

• 3 weeks later...

Skyline Park, a park about an hour or so west of Munich, have announced that their Maurer Spike coaster - Sky Dragster - will not be returning.

Sky Dragster was the first Maurer Spike coaster, a coaster where you sit on a motorbike-like car on a single rail track, and control the speed at which you go round the course. It was weird. The ride model has been plagued with unreliability and other issues. Currently, the only other park to invest in the ride type is Mirabilandia in Italy, who invested in the a duelling pair as part of their Ducati-themed land. They have been even less reliable. The model is also set to appear on a Cruise Ship next year. So good luck there...

Skyline Park have a very good relationship with Maurer, so it's a shame to see them giving up on this. 

In other news, the park are opening a 466ft/142m Star Flyer this year; making it the tallest one in the world: https://www.parkerlebnis.de/skyline-park-2020-neuheit-hoechstes-kettenkarussell-weltweit-ankuendigung_107082.html

• 1 month later...

Farup Sommerland, Denmark, have released a POV on their new Vekoma Junior Boomerang. This is one of the first 'stretched out' layouts of these boomerangs, along with Volldampf at Tripsdrill:

This is also the same layout as the new Boomerang going to Energylandia, which will open in the Aqualantis zone. That one will seemingly feature a splashdown, being the first Boomerang to feature one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Benin said:

The spike section is so utterly pointless. Like, if you're gonna have a ride like this surely a more substantial backwards section such as Pegasus and Firechaser Express is the way to go?

Strange ride for a strange park.

Think, of the children, how cool it would be to going fast and straight towards the lake.

9 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Think, of the children, how cool it would be to going fast and straight towards the lake.

This is a family ride. Not a children's ride.

I'm sure children will love the spike and backwards sensation. It's quite unique to them. But you can give that same sensation and give it more of a purpose and make it a bit more entertaining for the whole family.

It doesn't help that they've already got another family coaster which, though fun, again is perhaps a little on the tame side for the general family audience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 4:34 PM, JoshC. said:

PowerPark are teasing their new coaster now, seemingly with an announcement due 3rd February (Monday)...

So this is now testing, with many expecting it to open this month still (or early next month):

It doesn't appear to have anything 'special' about it, like was rumoured at many times. This is a new coaster for the park which seems to focus more on speed and airtime. A good investment for the park, but perhaps a little underwhelming after what was rumoured.

The ride has 3 cars, much like their Gerstlauer launched Junker. Junker usually only runs 1 car because it doesn't need any more, so that's an interesting set up.

---

In other news, Legendia, Poland's second biggest park, also reopened this weekend along with Energylandia, and they opened their new rapids ride - Dolina Jagi (Jagi Valley), which they first started advertising 18 months ago.

Here's a slightly old video:

And then some photos from FOMO Coaster's Facebook:

102715465_567085487517166_61504646447355

102886004_567085280850520_90541189209712

102770922_567085570850491_44194555675281

102892714_567085380850510_99059316626069

In recent Legendia fashion, it looks nicely themed and is, in general, pretty good looking. It also comes with a monster of a cattlepen queue:

103303190_567085027517212_64761278229568

Edit: A video from the park showing off the ride, as well as their new mascots...

The park's recent investments, especially Lech and Bazyliszek, have unnecessarily huge queue lines which are barely used. I'm sure they're planning long-term, but when these queues are likely capable of 3-4 hour wait times, it just feels...odd. Then again, Energylandia have crazy long queue lines too, so maybe it's just a Polish thing.

It'll be interesting to see what's next for Legendia though. They aren't able to access the same EU grants as Energylandia due to their region being better developed, and the park being much older. The owners who took over the park a few years back clearly have a vision, but perhaps not the level of funds they'd like. They've invested in some great stuff slowly and steadily. But last year they also removed several flat rides for...reasons I do not know. 

The park has buckets of potential, and their next investment will be really telling for the park's trajectory for the next decade in my opinion.

Rapids look pleasant enough with much of the theming, a,though perhaps a little bare in places which I’m sure will improve in time. Fingers crossed this park continues to move forward.

I find it very strange Power Park have invested in a similar Gerstlauer to Junket, but if it’s something new for them that’s a positive I suppose.

From the Parc Asterix thread...

On 6/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, pluk said:

A shame, but I expect to see more of this. Although I can't think of any similar scale planned developments not already under construction off the top of my head? The ones we don't know about yet though, the same decision will be being made in board rooms the world over I imagine.

In terms of major announced rides for 2021, there's Plopsaland's Mack Xtreme Spinner, Walibi Belgium's Intamin Mega and Grona Lund's B&M Invert, all of which are still going ahead (construction had started pre-Covid for all of them though). We also have Nigloland in France building a major new ride, which is rumoured to be a Mack water coaster.

In terms of later push backs, Djurs Sommerland in Denmark have said their major 2021 attraction (which no one knew about anyways) is now happening in 2022:

No clue on what it could be mind!

I'm trying to avoid spoilers of the inside, but from photos I've seen the inside looks very well themed. Exterior leaves a bit to be desired (the thumbnail is Smiler-level of bad!), but on the whole pretty good.

It'll be interesting to see whether an Intamin launch spinner kicks off, or indeed if they can actually make a good normal spinner..

• 2 weeks later...

Ravensburger Spieleland, a theme park in Southern Germany with big focus on play areas and stuff too, are getting their first roller coaster next year. What is it, you ask? It's an SBF Hamster Wheel (also known as a Big Air Coaster)...

image.png

The Hamster Wheel model debuted at IAAPA last year, and looks sickening, yet intriguing, to say the least:

This is the second one to open; the first is in fact the one from IAAPA, which was bought by a small Family Entertainment Centre place in America .

In lighter news, Pitts Special at Powerpark did a Gerts Special the other day and valleyed...

lol