46 members have voted

1. 1. What religion are you?

• Protestant
    • Catholic
    • Sikh
    • Muslim
    • Buddhist
    • Other

Atheist for the same reasons Whatever stated, I really dislike the "prime directive" type excuses various religions come up with to justify the horrible things that go on, you're being punished for the sins of your father, God observes he doesn't interfere, all infidels must convert or be cast out etc etc.

That's not a nice message to send, and I don't need a pretend benevolent "god" to tell me to be nice to people, and let's not forget we'd be a lot further along technology wise had the Church not banned scientific study.

2 hours ago, ThemeParkCrafter said:

Not saying I disagree with you but if you ask religious people the answer is that you can be suffering for your generation and your descendants' sins as well as the concept you are suffering to learn how to become a better person.

Ah yes, let's give this two year old cancer because of what your ancestors did okay okay cool. 

I dont believe in God simply because the way I see it if there really is a God who loves us all then these diseases such as cancer simply wouldn't exist. Children wouldn't be starving in Africa. For example I've heard the story about Jesus feeding crowds with bread and fish because of God. Could God not make this happen now? I grew up in a Christian family and used to believe in God but I stopped because of what happened to my friend. I had a close friend, a nice person, honestly couldnt think of anyone who didnt like him. He entered a battle with brain cancer in about year 3 or 4. He won the battle, however got it back in Year 7 and didn't win the battle this time. That's when I stopped believing because if a God existed it wouldn't have happened to him.

My Nan used to say "God sends us these tests, to test your faith" whenever a young naive me would ask if God was so great why does he allow cancer and war, she was mega religious, went to Church every Sunday, belted her daughters for dressing inappropriately, you know all the things a God fearing deciple does.

Then her son died of cancer, he youngest daughter had a heart attack, and eventually her eldest daughter (my Mum) died of cancer too, you don't mention God whenever you're in her presence now if you know what's good for you.

But whatever floats your boat, like a persons sexuality, I don't care what you do or what you believe in so long as you respect my choices and don't try to sell me what you're drinking (by you I meant generally, not anybody here), my Aunt on my wife's side is an ordained minister, she knows my views and I hers and we get on just fine because she doesn't try to convert me and I don't diss her God in her presence.

Having said that, I never miss an opportunity to wind up the local Jehovah's Witness whenever they come knocking.

27 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

I dont believe in God simply because the way I see it if there really is a God who loves us all then these diseases such as cancer simply wouldn't exist. Children wouldn't be starving in Africa. 

So the reason why children are starving in Africa is because the parents have children they cannot afford to feed.
The reason they cannot afford to feed them could be because they did not plan to have the child in the first place (lack of education maybe..?)

In this country if a girl who cannot afford to feed and look after themself, let alone a child, was to get pregnant and continue to have the child, they would eventually get help with looking after the child financially.

If all of this support was suddenly taken away, then eventually we would have a situation like Africa where children starve.

To make you think.

But back on topic.
I am not religious in the slightest.
Religion causes arguments which can turn into war.

I can't see the point in believing in something that has not been proven to exist.

In this World and this country there are enough rules to abide by without living life by even more restrictions.

Tom.

As Ian S has said, I really don't care what religion you are, as long as you don't try converting me. I do enjoy RS class at school and I think it's vital to see what other religions believe in, rather than just learning about Christianity.

The Americans abolishing it from their curriculum was very controversial and maybe the lack of cultural understanding resulting from it has led to the much higher level of racism and general hate over there. 

Another opinion I have is not to have religious schools, whether Catholic, Islamic or any other. I think it promotes segregation and discourages diversity. By all means we should learn about them, but in a totally non biased way.