2018 General Discussion

JoshC.

34 minutes ago, Theme park Fanantic said:

Does anyone think Canada creek railway could possibly come back this season?

No.

The track mostly doesn't exist any more.  The route doesn't exist (because of Platform 15).  It is too expensive to run for not enough return.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it's time to let go.

I would say unlikely

the track is gone (I assume scrapped)

due to the amount of time the trains have been standing they need some work to get going again

the ride area is used for platform and last year they built a house on it (fairly normal for railway track beds) 

plus they put lumber jump on the track and that would of required a concrete pad to be poured.

sad to say but CRR is in the same situation as TIR, a thing of the past with a few bits still on site in back areas

There was a picture a while back of Colossus trains having new transfers put on the front car (the name at the front) 

though by a little birdy telling things. if its refering to slammer,  unlikely but possible, the ride is very old and parts are scarse (all S&S sky swat part production in the world goes to that ride ;)

if its refering to loggers. I wait until we have some solid proof. I know its been talked about so much for the ride to get a overhaul (to a point its hard to seperate fact from fiction) but I wait untill we see logs falling over the drop again.

though the birdys are really refering to fish is getting its shrubbery back and being marketed as a "high thrill head chopper coaster" ;)

A few new ticketing details have been released for the 2018 season, over Summer the park will sell a special Summer Lates Pass, which will get you into the park from 4pm till 10PM for just £10 during the late night openings which will no doubt help keep the later nights busier and hopefully see the event be more successful than Summer Nights. Along with that fastrack has seen abit of a re-vamp, with off peak and peak packages along with the options to mix and match where you use your fastrack allocations.

Full details: https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/07-03-2018/2018+Ticketing+Details+Released

The 4-10pm ticket is fantastic, exactly what they should be doing.  And so cheap too!  I believe Summer Nights tickets for non-AP holders were £15, that was only 3 hours worth of riding and towards the end, the event was reasonably busy.  So that should be a hit once they start advertising that.

Fastrack system is interesting.  I know some other parks do these styles of package, where you buy X amount of tickets which could be use on a variety of different rides, the same ride multiple times or get one group onto one ride, and it seems to work well.  But admittedly that's at European parks where these systems are less popular.  Will be interesting to see how it operates; like will you have to choose the rides when you buy, will Fastrack tickets be scanned at the rides somehow, will allocations be less?  

Off peak and peak pricing is a good idea though.  Regardless of how busy it is, people will buy Fastrack, yet will complain that it's not value for money if they buy on a quiet day.  Reducing the cost may get a couple more people buying them, but drastically increase satisfaction of those buying them.  And if the park can run properly with rides, it'll work out well..

26 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Fair play Thorpe - £10 for 4pm-10pm is a good shout - heck I might even go myself :D

Interesting that DBGTROTD is only included in the very top fast-track package - I guess that means the queues will be kept down (ish).

Think this was the case last year too apart from with one shots - not seen any details

if they are still there.

Evening tickets are a wonderful idea and it's nice to see they are finally doing it properly. 

Fastrack is an odd decision and it would be interesting to see what it does to the fastrack revenue. 

The removal of the one shots means there is no low price option for a family of 4 they would have to buy a package and waste one which is going to create a sense of poor value for money. But it may result in the people who were buying one shots buying more than they would have done with the old system. It might be a clever upsale tactic so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Summer Lates Pass is excellent. I really hope it is a success to prove that later opening times can be financially profitable, with separate ticket sales and the opportunity to sell people another meal. Maybe we'll see it elsewhere across the UK then too.

FarceTrack disgusts me still. With this level of flexibility in what anyone can do with their queue jumping ticket once purchased, can we now dispel the myth that fastrack is in any way controlled, managed or timed to stop it crippling the park for everyone? There effectively are no limits in how many people can push in front of you once you are in any given queue. Nice one Thorpe!

If a despicable system such as this has to exist it should be tightly controlled with timed tickets to stop massive influxes of riders at one place one time. This move comes even further away from that.

1 minute ago, pluk said:

FarceTrack disgusts me still. With this level of flexibility in what anyone can do with their queue jumping ticket once purchaced, can we now dispel the myth that fastrack is in any way controlled, managed or timed to stop it crippling the park for everyone? There effectively no limits in how many people can push in front of you once you are in any given queue. Nice on Thorpe!

Depends how its done, for example if you choose your rides at the time of purchase then it will come out of the rides allocations they have set for fastrack. 

I think i read somewhere this system is similar to the one in place at Phantasialand, im sure someone who's been / used it will know more though and how well it works in reality.

On 06/03/2018 at 11:08 AM, Theme park Fanantic said:

Does anyone think Canada creek railway could possibly come back this season?

NOPE

CCR wont come back look at the trains used in platform 15 and plus half of the track is gone and I cannot give anymore otherwise its out of me as I have been assured not to say but can hint like I said in my previous comment but yeah!.

4 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with these packages, but from the looks of things it’s probably an improvement over previous years.

fastrack systems arent a problem if they are organised correctly.

Yeah Fastracks look decent this year although the off peak days will be the days that arent busy and wont need fastrack when its only £50pp and yeah, its good that its gone down for off peak days.