2018 General Discussion

JoshC.

3 minutes ago, ThorpeAddict said:

You can now buy student season passes for £39! 

If you're a student, that's a bargin

fbb5a1987f8b60f93d78cff6dceda9f5.png

They’ve given away a lot of half price passes already and now student special. Is the push to literally give away annual passes because it looks better on paper vs on the day sales? 

Some investor meeting they utter lines like we had an increase in pass sales and on average they visit xxx times a year proving our products are in demand etc 

It will be something like pass holders spend more so more pass holders is more profit. While true in the short term it is unlikely to be long term. More passes would likely lead to a lower amount spent per person and if they go multiple times in one year for a discount price they are less likely to return in following years at full price. 

That being said if they used the short term gain in profits and invested it wisely to encourage people back then the vast amount of discounted passes wouldn't be too much of an issue. But the park has no long term vision so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

52 minutes ago, Project LC said:

It will be something like pass holders spend more so more pass holders is more profit. While true in the short term it is unlikely to be long term. More passes would likely lead to a lower amount spent per person and if they go multiple times in one year for a discount price they are less likely to return in following years at full price. 

That being said if they used the short term gain in profits and invested it wisely to encourage people back then the vast amount of discounted passes wouldn't be too much of an issue. But the park has no long term vision so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

It may also be used to boost number of admissions to either the board or shareholders to show growth of its customer base, this maybe needed to secure investment into the park as admissions have been pretty flat since pre darren brown

Yeah I feel a little ripped off having a MAP when you see the prices for the Thorpe AP this year! Having said that, some people I know who wouldn’t usually visit often or more than once a year actually got an AP and are willing to visit more so maybe it will pay off as I usually spend at least £10-20 every time I go.

56 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

Yeah I feel a little ripped off having a MAP when you see the prices for the Thorpe AP this year!

Genuine question, why? Surely you get more value for money when you get to go to all the parks and the midway attractions rather than just Thorpe? Why not just get a Thorpe one if you only use it there?

I was there for a few hours this past Saturday for their late opening. Apart from some people who couldn't handle their drink (seriously? It must have cost you a fortune to get drunk at Thorpe) the atmosphere was great, queues were pretty quiet from around 2000 onwards and the staff seemed pretty happy. They are all paid by the hour I believe so they'll all get a couple of extra quid in their pocket at the end of the month.

I really do see the future at Thorpe of being open longer but on fewer days. They still need to sort out ride availability though, when I arrived at around 1930 DBGT, The Walking Dead and both of the B&Ms were down. I don't think DBGT:HGVFHBGIFBIF reopened at all, the 2 B&Ms and Walking Dead did though and SWARM was flying!

1 hour ago, Aaron Tuckwell said:

Isn't this Saturday Ministry Of Sound though? So the rides are usually open to guests of that between 6/7 and 10...

Unusually in the past coasters would be open for MOS guests only from 7 till 11 I think it was.

16 hours ago, streetmagix said:

I was there for a few hours this past Saturday for their late opening. Apart from some people who couldn't handle their drink (seriously? It must have cost you a fortune to get drunk at Thorpe) the atmosphere was great, queues were pretty quiet from around 2000 onwards and the staff seemed pretty happy. They are all paid by the hour I believe so they'll all get a couple of extra quid in their pocket at the end of the month.

I really do see the future at Thorpe of being open longer but on fewer days. They still need to sort out ride availability though, when I arrived at around 1930 DBGT, The Walking Dead and both of the B&Ms were down. I don't think DBGT:HGVFHBGIFBIF reopened at all, the 2 B&Ms and Walking Dead did though and SWARM was flying!

Alcohol prices at Thorpe Park are actually pretty reasonable, by London standards.

Had a real great time at Thorpe last night - the idea of keeping the whole park open for everyone till 10pm again was great, MOS guests then got the coasters between 10 and 11pm although they may have closed early with the storms!

Park was quiet, especially after the rain but, all rides stayed open till 10pm as promised and was a great evening!

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Had a real great time at Thorpe last night - the idea of keeping the whole park open for everyone till 10pm again was great, MOS guests then got the coasters between 10 and 11pm although they may have closed early with the storms!

Park was quiet, especially after the rain but, all rides stayed open till 10pm as promised and was a great evening!

Ditto, had a great evening on park ? hopefully will be looked at again with future mos events.

We spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Thorpe staying at the Shark Hotel for my birthday. Had a brilliant time. Queues were fairly short, even on the Saturday. Operations a little hit and miss but on the whole not too bad. Got stuck on DBGT and Inferno however. Swarm running beautifully and Inferno running well (until Saturday when it seemed to be broken down for longer than it was open). Had our first and last ride on TWD:TR. Really not impressed. Much preferred X unfortunately.

Little annoyed with Thorpe for announcing the 10-10 yesterday at fairly short notice as we had already booked transport home and couldn’t stay ? due to problems with the hotel we received free fastracks yesterday but didn’t have time to use them all so wandered around giving them away to people. Felt like Willy Wonka ?

Overall a really good three days but the need for a major new investment is more apparent than ever IMO - as well as a general revamp.