2018 General Discussion

JoshC.

Often an area of investment which is overlooked is accessibility. Great to see Thorpe has invested in even better accessibility to the Dome. It may just be coincidental but there was something in the news recently about a disabled person suing a smaller theme park. I like to think the changes were always intended since Towers added better facilities.

12 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

Often an area of investment which is overlooked is accessibility. Great to see Thorpe has invested in even better accessibility to the Dome. It may just be coincidental but there was something in the news recently about a disabled person suing a smaller theme park. I like to think the changes were always intended since Towers added better facilities.

The Flambards article was a bit... strange really... It's not like they hadn't done something and the point is well made that to get a completely unique system isn't always cost effective for smaller companies to supply for the one person who visits who needs it...

Unfortunately, there's still so many steps to be made for companies to comply, and cost, time and space is a big factor in all of this...

Dread to think how bad Chessie is for it...

I think it’s a very good move for the park to do this, as it now offers a changing place for those who require it. Not all disabilities are visible, but things are progressing gradually.

Let’s hope they can further enhance and adapt things so things become even more inclusive to those with disabilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thorpe just posted a video on their Facebook about something happening on the 26th July mentioning ‘the island’, ‘hot summer’ and a picture of a heart and a palm tree (love + island). Have a feeling it will be love island related. Definitely very walking dead themed eh

Love island isn’t something I personally watch - but it’s clearly popular so can see why they’ve done it.

The problem thorpe have had in the past with their late openings is there’s nothing much else’s to entice people to stay into the evening, summer nights whikst obviously great for us to get loads of rides was obviously unsustainable. A name like this will no doubt help get more people to these late nights, so for me it’s win win, we can enjoy the park till 10pm through summer, whilst the park (hopefully) attract enough people in these evenings to continue them into the future.

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

Love island isn’t something I personally watch - but it’s clearly popular so can see why they’ve done it.

The problem thorpe have had in the past with their late openings is there’s nothing much else’s to entice people to stay into the evening, summer nights whikst obviously great for us to get loads of rides was obviously unsustainable. A name like this will no doubt help get more people to these late nights, so for me it’s win win, we can enjoy the park till 10pm through summer, whilst the park (hopefully) attract enough people in these evenings to continue them into the future.

Marc you are so pragmatic. This is going to be garbage.

4 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

Jesus, Thorpe are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here..

A decent park in itself should be able to keep guests in for the late opening.. The amount of try-hardness in this event is cringey..

It seems to be a uk culture thing, I remember back in 2006 when they opened till 10 throughout summer, despite the park being rammed throughout the day it was dead every night, events seem help with this hopefully making it more sustainable in the long run.

^The issue is that, for whatever reason, the UK audience doesn't just stay for late night openings unless there's a reason too. It's been tried in the past, and if you keep a park open till late for no reason, people will leave early. They only stay late if there's a reason to (fireworks, scary things at Halloween, etc).

I guess that's why they've got Love Island involved. Get an IP involved, create a special event to entice people to stay and maybe it'll work. It's still a risk though, what with it being such a polarising IP.

The one major positive to draw from this is that the IP is current. It's always been a joke that Thorpe grab IPs when they have passed their peak, but in the case of Love Island, it's just reaching its peak. Of course, there's the argument about whether it'll work at all and if that sort of IP should even be considered for Thorpe, but there's at least one thing done right there...