2018 General Discussion

JoshC.

1 minute ago, Mattgwise said:

You must have gone on a bad day as my recent visits have been great. Swarm and Stealth regularly dispatching in less than a minute (40 seconds on Swarm in several instances) Nemesis Inferno admittedly has been slow for a couple of seasons now. Really shows how every day can differ. 

On my two visits this year, I was faced with constant downtime on the first and horrendously slow operations last weekend.

For me I find the operations on Stealth and Saw to be okay. Nemesis and Swarm are very hit and miss but when they are slow, they are damn slow..

Colossus on both rides was perhaps the most frustrating dispatching I have seen in a long while and I can see why you want fastrack for that one.. The rides ops are so slow the queue barely moves, heck even with fastrack I would get annoyed in that queue.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

I love it when people suggest that rides deliberately act slow so Fastrack sales go up...

Like, Rides would probably love it if Fastrack went away, because it's just as big a pain in the arse for them as it is for guests...

Maybe the rides department don't consciously run them slower (though in that case, why are they being run slower than a snail's pace?) but I can imagine a conversation in the marketing department going something along the lines of;

"We're getting a lot of complaints about queue times"

"Oh excellent, let's launch a £400 fastrack pass and make money out of the situation"

39 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Maybe the rides department don't consciously run them slower (though in that case, why are they being run slower than a snail's pace?) but I can imagine a conversation in the marketing department going something along the lines of;

"We're getting a lot of complaints about queue times"

"Oh excellent, let's launch a £400 fastrack pass and make money out of the situation"

I’m not sure it’s quite like you make out - you complain about queue times and I get the impression your not going to be going to buy a Fastrack Pass!

For £400 I could afford to go to another theme park in an entirely different country!!! 

I can see some appeal as, if you go often enough, it likely turns out to be very little per visit (20 trips per year makes it £20 a visit). But if you visit that often surely you'd not want Fastrack, as your ridden everything plenty of times? Sounds to me like a little gamble and I wouldn't be surprised if no one actually buys any.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, Stuntman707 said:

For someone who visits Thorpe twice a year, and someone who visits whenever they want, how is the Fastrack season pass anything but a rip-off? 

I really don’t know why Merlin don’t have Q-Bot at Thorpe & Towers? It’s a much fairer system and you can guarantee the value of the service being paid for unlike fastrack*. You can have a virtual queue with higher tiers that reduce the wait time. When the queue time is low, people can see it’s clear the higher tiers would not be value for money unless you can skip negative queue time!

If you buy fastrack on the other hand and the queue ends up being short, you’ve basically paid for nothing. Equally when it’s busy, there’s no guarantee of a maximum waiting time limit whether you’re a VIP or one shot holder.

TLDR - Fastrack does not offer a consistent value depending on who you are and how busy it is. That’s my main issue with it.

(*Obviously this does not include unavoidable delays to operations.)

Thats the gamble you take and it gives me no greater satisfaction when someone buys it only for the park to be really quiet and they've thrown their money away. 

swarm bag room today - awful - massive queue to get bags back and the girl working there couldn’t have look less interested if she tried.  Also the queue for the actual ride was about 40 mins but the station was pretty empty.

Colossus - still slow dispatching - painfully so.  Stealth and Saw by far the best.

Ride availability today was good with only storm turd down for a long time - park wasn’t too busy (I’m guessing due to the footie and tennis).

I'm not speaking for all staff here but so many seem miserable - ok today it is flaming hot which I’m sure must be horrible to work in but only one person asked how our day was and that was a girl working in the Colossus shop

2 hours ago, Han30 said:

swarm bag room today - awful - massive queue to get bags back and the girl working there couldn’t have look less interested if she tried.  Also the queue for the actual ride was about 40 mins but the station was pretty empty.

Colossus - still slow dispatching - painfully so.  Stealth and Saw by far the best.

Ride availability today was good with only storm turd down for a long time - park wasn’t too busy (I’m guessing due to the footie and tennis).

I'm not speaking for all staff here but so many seem miserable - ok today it is flaming hot which I’m sure must be horrible to work in but only one person asked how our day was and that was a girl working in the Colossus shop

I mean what do you expect they are only paid minimum wage? Lol but I get what you mean they should be providing guests a good service all round. 

2 hours ago, Han30 said:

swarm bag room today - awful - massive queue to get bags back and the girl working there couldn’t have look less interested if she tried.

Had the same experience with the bag room a few weeks ago. Seemed to be down to a lack of staff as they moved one member of staff from platform to the bag room to speed things up and they were both working quickly.

Port Aventura is just one of those parks where getting express pass is essential to have the best time. I certainly don’t fancy waiting several hours only for Spanish guests to push past me every so often.

Thorpe Park’s certainly have their pros and cons but generally aren’t as bad as P.A’s.  £400 annual fastrack certainly sounds obscene at first glance, but there are clearly people willing to pay that price.

5 hours ago, Marc said:

On the contrary, walking past a 3 hour Shambarla cattle pen straight onto the ride is pretty satisfying too ;) 

But that's when the point of the system works! (Plus of course, most of the Spanish populace just jump the queue without paying for it, so perhaps in the end Fastrack at PA is pointless and a waste of money?)

Cheers, Still silly that it's not just on the ticket selection page! A lot of people will miss this with it being on the event page rather then general ticket page!

Also, when they first went on sale they were 4pm to 10pm, then changed to 5pm - 10pm and now are just 6pm to 10pm. Still amazing value regardless.

32 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

Cheers, Still silly that it's not just on the ticket selection page! A lot of people will miss this with it being on the event page rather then general ticket page!

Unfortunately that's probably the reason they've been moved, gets people to pay for a more expensive ticket

3 hours ago, Mark9 said:

School groups there during School week?

Thats crazy AF!

Oh I'm so very sorry. Please accept my sincere apologies for pointing out that it was busy, but well organised due to there being lots of schools there on a school week. CRAZY AF!