Depth Charge

Garyy

It was a lot more fun when 2 adults were allowed to share a boat (as long as total weight was not more than 30 stone!). Possible to really fly on the bumps, and often run into the buffer at the end.When Eclipse was still at Thorpe Park I once saw a girl get stuck half way down - someone had to be lowered down in a boat on a rope to give her a push!

It was a lot more fun when 2 adults were allowed to share a boat (as long as total weight was not more than 30 stone!). Possible to really fly on the bumps, and often run into the buffer at the end.

Ah yeah, its one ride that actually has been screwed over by Health and Safety.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would hate for Depth Charge to go. I remember going on it as a kid - yes yes I know playing the nostalgia card means absolutely nothing - but to this day it's still my standard first ride of the day every time I visit because it's a nice soft ride to get warmed up, so to speak. However it isn't terribly popular and I suppose it does take up a fair amount of room. Having said that, there were five staff on it today (two at the top, three at the bottom) when there was no queue at all - seemed a bit of a waste (unless it's some kind of minimum staffing for H&S or something?)

• 3 months later...

I would hate for Depth Charge to go. I remember going on it as a kid - yes yes I know playing the nostalgia card means absolutely nothing - but to this day it's still my standard first ride of the day every time I visit because it's a nice soft ride to get warmed up, so to speak. However it isn't terribly popular and I suppose it does take up a fair amount of room. Having said that, there were five staff on it today (two at the top, three at the bottom) when there was no queue at all - seemed a bit of a waste (unless it's some kind of minimum staffing for H&S or something?)

thats like with em and Vampire that was the first rollercoaster I ever went on I still got the pic, and if chessie ever got rid of it I would be heart broken :P

• 1 year later...

Right, I'm gunna have a full review of my day up either tonight or pretty soon but something happened today that I have never seen at Thorpe before and doubt I will see again. I was in the queue for Depth Charge and was on the final turn before climbing the last set of stairs. There was a hollowed out square support type thing connecting to the very right hand slide. My friend said ''hmmmm I wonder what is in that pipe thing?'' and I looked in just to examine. In the hollowed out support was a live pigeon sitting there! I guess it's not that amazing and it probably nestle in a peaceful place to end its life, but I though it could be a serious issue if it was to fly out. Imagine if the pigeon was fully health, which it could have been, and flew out at some point where a little child was queuing. I'm sure a pigeon fluttering around in that fairly enclosed space would make a bit of a kerfuffle amongts the younger children waiting for their ride. I did take a photo which I will put up later but I didn't use the flash as I thought it would either irritate the pigeon, or be cruel to it so the picture is merely a black square with a darker shape in the middle. You can kind of make it out though. Seems very peculiar though. :)

• 6 months later...