Great Ride Documentaries

Stuntman707

7 hours ago, Benin said:

Science of Thrills was entertaining if nothing else, I was thoroughly amused by the two goons I know having to read positive stuff about Baco given their actual opinions on it...

https://www.insight.tv/category/science-of-thrills

Enjoy.

This reminds me of an interesting vid I saw recently showing a talk by the Thrill Engineer, Brendan Walker. He describes how he developed methods to test the psychological effectiveness of a ride and using the data to make rides more thilling in a way that is scientifcally measurable. Very different way about thinking of ride design and a brilliant talk.

19 hours ago, Coaster said:

JR was a legend, BPB needs someone with that mindset there now!

Ha, sounds like a legend. "I had it sorted but it wasn't fast enough for Jim." :P Sometimes you just need someone like him overseeing the engineers to get **** done. Emails don't have the same effect as someone shouting and pointing. ^_^

2 hours ago, Benin said:

It's a shame they couldn't bothered getting someone who actually knew about British parks... I gave up after the umpteenth inaccuracy from him...

My thoughts exactly. I left a spiteful comment on YouTube because of his lack of knowledge/interest. A great advert for British enthusiasts...

Tussaud’s should really think about building a Willy Wonka ride to compete with Universal London. :P

• 2 months later...

Proper good video that.

One thing which you can also take into account is how you can get 'better' chances to win at certain times of day. HB Leisure in particular encourage their staff to give better deals (double the number of goes for no extra cost for example on skill based games) at the start of the day, as if/when people win, it's an advert for their games - "Oh, THEY won one, so technically we can too!". Obviously, by that point, you're having to pay 2 or 3 times the amount the winner at the start of the day did just to get the same number of goes to find the knack of it.

HB Leisure have some restrictions these days though - they have to explicitly say some changes, such as with basketball games, where they say hoops are lower, but of an oval shape. Fairground stalls aren't under as tight restrictions, so can go the distance trickery and the shaping trickery and you'll be none-the-wiser!

Games like this go through loads of 'testing' and mathematical risk assessments so they can price them right and give out appropriately priced prizes so they make the most amount of money. I'm sure people's heads would spin if they heard the amount of money the games stalls at Thorpe make in a day!

• 3 months later...