so we all know that Thorpe park has some of the best rides in the country and I do love going there. However I'm always wondering what there next big thing will be and what would thrill seekers of the uk would like to see here next. 

Hard to say. In an ever changing industry with regards to product development (look at companies like Mack at the moment, spinning, vertical drop, launched rollercoasters like WTF) it’s always hard to see what’s around the corner. It falls a lot to budgets and how the creative teams see it fit and best invested. Merlin could tell the team they have the budget for an Intamin Giga, but the team have to them decide do they build a unthemed Intamin Giga, or build a ride from a ‘cheaper’ manufacturer such as Gerstlauer with theming and preshows etc. So it’s always going to be tough to predict what’s coming!

One thing I think is a given is I doubt we will see Merlin introduce another B&M (or Intamin) for a while. I strongly think the view is now focussed more on experience rides with pre-shows and post-ride experiences than a 60second rollercoaster ride. Everything has to be marketable as something eye catching now.

If time traveller works out well that'd be my bet. Would rather an RMC though, which is marketable in itself without having to shoehorn in a nonsensical Varney USP special.

If the next coaster isn't an RMC I would be very surprised. Thats if they ever get a new rollercoaster.

A Vekoma junior coaster - themed to insidious!!

Ok being serious. As unlikely as it may sound,I would love to see a B&M hyper coaster in the vein of Mako installed at Thorpe Park (which would be the more realistic size of hyper they could get if they wanted to build one as I doubt they would be allowed to build one ABOVE the 200ft mark) If not a Hyper than either an RMC or Mack mega wouldn’t be a bad shout. I just think an airtime filled coaster is what Thorpe Park needs because it’s a department they are currently lacking in.

They could get a Chance Rides Hyper GT-X coaster, they take up very small amount of space and many people seem to really like the one that has has been built.

Or they could just get a mega lite, it fits a similar specification.

I'd like to see a wooden coaster (would be open to an RMC) as Thorpe's next coaster.  Of course a B&M hyper would be fantastic, but I think that considering the recent focus on short-term developments and gimmicks, an investment as huge as a hyper (bearing in mind there isn't really a "USP" attached to these, just quality) doesn't feel like a possibility IMO.

Honestly I think a RMC would be the best thing as they could tack a USP on it,

it would also appease enthusiasts and overall I think it would be a crowd pleaser.

They don't have to be expensive either- Outlaw Run only cost 10.5 Million (around 7.5 mil pounds)

They could easily build under 100 feet and still create a intense and airtime filled one- the inversions would also make good selling points for the GP and they could add in some good old Merlin false marketing.

They could easily add in "THE WORLDS FIRST UPSIDE DOWN WOODEN COASTER L0L" and add a depressing and drab theme and it'll fit right in.

I don’t know why I just don’t see an RMC happening, although I would like to see one at THORPE. But I think that I’m sceptical on the basis of RMC in Europe being a combination project with Vekoma (Wildfire?) and the fact Vekoma seem to still like to be booked up in advance and to my understanding their books still work a few years ahead, I don’t believe it’s something we’d see happen considering planning permissions etc haven’t been granted yet and so forth. Not to mention Wildfire cost just over £9m equivalent in the ride system itself it wouldn’t leave much spare change for development of an area around it, considering a future development would either be on ‘the island’ between Swarm and Stealth or replace an existing attraction.

IF we were to see a wooden coaster come to Thorpe I would (expect) to see a GCI to follow on from Wicker Man, but would (like) to see an Intamin woodie on the Thrill par of Colossos at Heide Park, which I doubt considering it’s about to undergo a €12m (approx) maintenance program. Which would then leave the options that aren’t wood. It’s pretty much a given that Merlin don’t seem to show an interest in buying another B&M in the current financial position; and rightly so Magic Making are seemingly investing more of their budgets into experience and themes to rides over premium rides such as B&M’s and Intamin’s. For me I’d love to see an Intamin MegaLite or something similar to Maverick at Cedar Point, but I doubt it would happen. So I’d flip that and look towards Mack, but given their sudden surge in projects on their books, and amongst rumours they already have projects booked for the UK and Europe in the next few years again I question if Merlin would be able to get their hands on their time.

So, if we rule out RMC because of Vekoma, rule out B&M and Intamin because of budgets, and rule out Mack because of bookings for projects; it really does leave us in a toss up between a GCI (or another) woodie, or towards something less expected such as Gerstlauer, who, in fairness probably could deliver a Hyper-esque coaster at a reasonable rate, should either party agree to work together again.

I think Gerstlauer is very unlikely after the many troubles Smiler had.

GCI is a interesting one that could happen, but if the next big coaster is in the new few years I think its unlikely due to Wickerman.

Merlin's biggest competition in the UK is probably themselves so adding another GCI a year or two after would probably not be the best idea.

Its really a shame they didn't add a coaster instead of the Ghost Train tbh.

If it did cost 30 Million they could built of a giant B&M or a giant RMC with money to spare..

I actually think maybe one of the new designs from Vekoma or something would be good if they want something fairly cheap.

Vekoma's new stuff actually looks fairly good, maybe a Vekoma Hyper or something a bit smaller to what Energylandia didn't get?

15 hours ago, Flipper said:

So, if we rule out RMC because of Vekoma, rule out B&M and Intamin because of budgets, and rule out Mack because of bookings for projects; it really does leave us in a toss up between a GCI (or another) woodie, or towards something less expected such as Gerstlauer, who, in fairness probably could deliver a Hyper-esque coaster at a reasonable rate, should either party agree to work together again.

By this logic, you would also have to rule out GCI, because Mack are their European sellers in effect, much like Vekoma's relationship with RMC;)

I see no reason why Vekoma couldn't be used.  They're the company with the most coasters built (granted, that's largely down to clones, but still), so they've got the resources to deal with many many projects. Similarly with Mack too.

35 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I think Gerstlauer is very unlikely after the many troubles Smiler had.

GCI is a interesting one that could happen, but if the next big coaster is in the new few years I think its unlikely due to Wickerman.

Merlin's biggest competition in the UK is probably themselves so adding another GCI a year or two after would probably not be the best idea.

Rita and Stealth happened in the space of 2 years, and Tussauds made sure speed was the big marketing push (Stealth has the height factor too, but speed was the main push).  So never count it out!  If Thorpe were to go for a much bigger GCI coaster (say market it as that "pushes the boundaries of what wood can do" or whatever).  And that's true for any woodie tbf.

I can never remember where I heard it, but one rumour that sticks in my mind is that Merlin aren't keen on RMC due to the accident that happened on New Texas Giant a few years back (though technically that was more a Gerstlauer fault, but I imagine Merlin aren't keen on them at the mo either..).  It may sound silly, but if they've got any doubt that the company might not see safety in the same way they do, it might rule them out from the word go.

At the moment, I don't see anything that B&M offer that would really fit for Thorpe.  I mean, sure, they could get a 'mini-hyper' and chuck in lots of airtime, but there's plenty of other manufacturers which can produce similar rides (and arguably have a wider portfolio of existing rides which suit the size Thorpe are going for).  I'm not saying there's nothing B&M can offer, or that B&M won't happen, but I just don't see why Thorpe would opt for them.

I'd love to see a Mack or Vekoma personally.  Their latest stuff is always looking fantastic and is always received well.  Mack might be pricey, but they'll be worth it.  Vekoma might be a bit of a risk, but they'll be worth it.  Failing that, Intamin can produce some blinders of a ride every now and then - if we got a good one, would anyone really complain?

I'm also not ruling out a launch coaster yet.  I'm sure Merlin have taken note of the successes of rides like Taron and Helix, but also the popularity of semi-shuttle launches which Mack in particular are churning out.  I'm sure they could create a launch coaster which isn't so fast that it negates Stealth, but is interesting enough in its own right.  And I'm sure they could play on 'the fastest/tallest/longest triple launch coaster in Europe' or whatever if necessary.

Definitely would like to see something like an RMC. Something along the lines of Steel Vengeance or Wild Fire, but probably noticeably smaller with more styling/theming. 

A GCI Woodie or something similar to Taron/Helix (but comparatively different) are honourable mentions. Even something like Time Treveller wouldn’t go a miss. 

Can’t really see them adding another B&M unless it’s something like a Hyper. Swarm alone pretty much rules out any Floorless and Flyer type coasters and Saw probably writes off a dive coaster. Don’t fancy a stand up at all.

Lets just hope the capex reduction hasn’t affected this otherwise we’ll be lucky to get an apocalyptic Wacky Worm or Spinning Wild Mouse with faded primary colours. 

A bobsled coaster hybrid could be great for thorpe, it could push the limits of what a bobsled can do, whilst providing a fun thrill ride that can have a decent height restriction.

6 hours ago, BaronC. said:

By this logic, you would also have to rule out GCI, because Mack are their European sellers in effect, much like Vekoma's relationship with RMC;)

I see no reason why Vekoma couldn't be used.  They're the company with the most coasters built (granted, that's largely down to clones, but still), so they've got the resources to deal with many many projects. Similarly with Mack too.

Wasn’t aware of Mack-GCI tie in, thanks for that!

regarding Mack and Vekoma though the only thing that makes me shrug them aside is their turn around time. Icon was allegedly planned in to be constructed for a while (I'm sure somebody on here could confirm and give a time frame), and likewise if the rumour is true about the second Mack ‘ride’ with Pleasure Beach already agreed and purchased, again this is suggestive that Mack are taking bookings ahead at the moment. Andthe same with Vekoma. Again I’m sure somebody could confirm but I’m sure Pterosaur and Velociraptor were purchased and planned for Paultons for a few years.

Thorpe darlings, since you will be reading this, if you're going to get a RMC, please get a proper one; the one track variant whilst looks cool, think of the horrible throughputs given the SINGLE SEATER CARS...

RMC do offer the T-Rex track instead of raptor which seats 2 per row rather than 1. Not really sure what it would bring to Thorpe's line up though other than something pretty cool looking.

I'd like to see something like steel vengeance but with Thorpe's restrictions in height and there guidence on length of the coaster I don't think it would be very good. I'd like to see how Fly turns out because a new generation of vekoma flyers might offer an experience that complements swarm. 

2 hours ago, A.T.I said:

What is Thorpe's height restriction? I mean Stealth is 205ft tall...

Currently the highest they can go is 50m on the island behind swarm and stealth. It should also be no longer than 950m if they comply with the mtdp. However the mtdp doesn't seem very applicable anymore and is coming to the end of its term anyway. It's also more a guideline than set rules. 

My concern is the length limit would make any 50m ride feel rather short so if they were to go with an RMC I'd like to see the length far longer so it doesn't feel like a wasted opportunity.

Why do Thorpe have length restrictions for their rides?

Because I can’t see how it would make a difference from the point of view of resisidents (or people who would complain about having a ride in the first place).

The most recent MTDP expired in 2016 I think, so those numbers would be obsolete now, since they would have to submit plans from scratch effectively, rather than under that.

The actual height ceiling for Thorpe is like 500ft, but Thorpe would never build anything of that height for several reasons.  Getting anything above 200ft would be a big ask to keep the locals onside, but who knows.  The length thing is self-imposed, and not really a restriction - that was more Thorpe saying to the council "just to let you know, we don't plan on building a coaster over 850m in length between 2010-2016".  

Something that is cheap and would be easy to build at short notice..

I think we all know now what Thorpe are getting for their next large scale roller coaster..

Spoiler

El_Diablo_Roller_Coaster.thumb.jpg.416e5679887e727c063d361f964638da.jpg

At least it would a better investment that the Ghost Train..

Edit: would also fit into the length and height 'requirements' in the MTDP :lol:

No matter how much I try to, I just can't ever picture Thorpe getting wood of any sort, be that an RMC hybrid or GCI/Gravity traditional. By all means suprise me, but I can't even imagine it.

For reasons I've spoken before (the rumour Mack are not thrilled to work on a large scale project with Merlin at the moment) and Merlin wanting to not look like they are copying Icon, I can't see a Mack coming.

I reckon an Intamin Mega-Lite isn't impossible, but once again seems unlikely. I for one would love it!

It's a really tough one to call...

After such great success with Thorpe’s latest IP: The Walking Dead, rumour has it that Stealth will be re-themed next season into a similar style as Rita at Alton Towers. The music and audio will be replaced with the same as found in the Dark Forest to save on costs. Stealth’s station and trains will be transformed with blood stains and sheet metal. The queue line fences will be replaced with a chain link barbed wire perimeter. The surrounding area will be transformed into a Walking dead themed wasteland. The “new” ride will be called; The Walking Dead Presents: Infected Stealth. (TWD PIS) What’s your TAKE on another new zombie themed ride at Thorpe?

Happy April Fools! :P 

Wouldn’t surprise me if we see Stealth tweaked sooner or later. With Angry Birds dividing Amity Cove, and now the Dockyard taking place it would not surprise me if we finally see Amity bite the bullet and with it see the loss of the beach and possibly a removal, relocation or rebranding of Fish in the process for a future development. And as such, see Stealth’s speedway rebranded into something like ‘Thorpe Speedway’ - albeit I’d expect this to happen when the island behind Stealth and THE SWARM is occupied and the footpath (theoretical) is added in through sunken gardens.