The Walking Dead - The Ride: SPOILERS

JoshC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Tuesday there were no actors at all after the ride both times I rode it - first time that’s happened and it definitely enhances it having actors there.

Also the bloody corridors were SO dark - I’m surprised no ones had a bad injury, I could barely see anything ?

Also, I’m not the most observant of people but have they added that awful stench in the exit corridor recently?  Fairly sure I’ve not smelt it before - it’s right after one of the flaps (which I’ve since named the flaps of death because the smell is vile).  It’s the kind of smell that you can taste but not in a good way ?

I Don't think anyone in this has experienced the live version of the walking dead the ride pre show,but it's good,not much similar to the current pre show,but I also know the ride will be getting some changes for fright nights,which should be interesting,I already know what's been added but I won't spoil it,I was on the ride the other week and there were 3 actors and 2 of them just laid on the cafeteria tables and let the other actor do all the work,well this was on a 10am-10pm day so no surprise

Edited by NASHERTV_YT

33 minutes ago, Han30 said:

On Tuesday there were no actors at all after the ride both times I rode it - first time that’s happened and it definitely enhances it having actors there.

Also the bloody corridors were SO dark - I’m surprised no ones had a bad injury, I could barely see anything ?

Also, I’m not the most observant of people but have they added that awful stench in the exit corridor recently?  Fairly sure I’ve not smelt it before - it’s right after one of the flaps (which I’ve since named the flaps of death because the smell is vile).  It’s the kind of smell that you can taste but not in a good way ?

I had the exact the opposite the other week (Sunday 26th) - that was the first time I’ve had actors after riding it - pretty sure I’ve never been on and had actors in there before! Although I’ve not been to Thorpe that much this year and this was only the third time I’ve ridden :P 

The actors barely made a difference though...we came through the doors and they were just sat on the boxes, chatting, out of role...was pretty hilarious actually :lol:

And yeah I know what you mean about that corridor smell - it’s kinda like really bad breath :o  

21 minutes ago, Mer said:

I had the exact the opposite the other week (Sunday 26th) - that was the first time I’ve had actors after riding it - pretty sure I’ve never been on and had actors in there before! Although I’ve not been to Thorpe that much this year and this was only the third time I’ve ridden :P 

The actors barely made a difference though...we came through the doors and they were just sat on the boxes, chatting, out of role...was pretty hilarious actually :lol:

And yeah I know what you mean about that corridor smell - it’s kinda like really bad breath :o  

I Agree the actors don't really add anything,however whenever I go through with my mates,we have a bit of fun by pretending to be scare actors,it's hillarious

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More changes on the ride - the Zombies in the cages on the last block brake run now fall towards the train when the trains stopped, in the exit there’s a new cage with barrels which move and bang against the cage.

In the queue line the barrels behind the fence seemed to be trying to do something but didn’t seem to be working tonight. 

Nice to to see the continued improvements!

I do wish the smoke machines could be re-adjusted to fire at the train as they did when it first opened!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Ivsetti said:

Thorpe Park's website:

834229708_goodtoknow.JPG.4ba760afe2b68cb4ef80096a7deb5295.JPG

Great to know where TP ranks TWD:TR then

Thorpe said themselves that TWD was more than a roller coaster. As a roller coaster, it is a bit naff, and everyone knows it.

It's a good thing Thorpe don't acknowledge it as one of the country's top coasters. It isn't, so it helps manage expectations.

• 3 months later...

In fairness, the actors are trained to notice these things, but they can miss them. If the actors don't see the incident, it can be hard to know the difference between someone who's injured and someone who's scared. Equally the actor may have been trying to help the person, but others may not have realised that given the heat of the moment.

Though tbh, if you bash your head at a theme park and you and the people you're with refuse to get looked over, you either:

1) only bumped it

2) have no sense and need better judgement/friends

Yeah the exiting corridors where the actors are in the maze are fairly dark and the actor probably didn't notice that the guest was injured- when you're seeing hundreds of guests walk through it can be hard to judge what is scared and what is injured. I think its a possibility that the  actor might of been trying to help but when you see a face full of zombie makeup that could of been misinterpreted..

I think the darkness of the corridors towards the end are fairly suspenseful! Sure there is no scare afterwards so it kinda ends on a anti-climax but I'm not sure what they else they could of done with them.. They are quite narrow after all.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a story, I actually enjoyed Walking Dead! But I don't think it will be successful (and apparently hasnt been). The reason is, entertainment has once again been sidelined in favour of marketing formula. The formula is broken. "Every ride must have a world first or an IP" is broken.

The ride before this had a wider appeal and attracted an age group much more fitting for the experience. X No Way Out was never designed to be a super scary ride and it never could be. It had a scary edge because of the weirdness and darkness, but it was more than that and could be enjoyed by older kids and young teenagers.

By making it themed to a violent horror show, it puts off people who don't like it. Those who do like it will be disappointed, because it's just a dressed up family coaster with some corridors. And those who've never seen the show may be put off by the promise of "actors touching you" and 'extreme' horror (which doesnt really exist). So who are you left with? Who is this ride for?

Once again the IP formula shoots the park in the foot. Add to that how poorly designed the entrance and surrounding area is means nobody can find it. So nobody's going in! The ugly barbed wire opposite the sorry remains of Octopus Garden and a big cartoon sign saying "Poop deck" is just the most hilarious thing Ive ever seen. Possibly worse than Legoland's Haunted House as worst Merlin entrance ever.

The preshow is total garbage. But after that, the simple fact that something happens during the ride now (like was always intended to) suddenly makes this a fun ride. X was calling out for this for about 20 years! It's insane that it took this long. We now have animations and moments during the stopping points, which creates a memorable ride. The sound design is fantastic too!

But again this appeals better to a younger audience than Walking Dead fans. The effects are mostly good and very well timed (although a couple are pretty hokey and I dont like the TVs). This would have worked really well as a family haunted ride, but people expecting extreme horro will just laugh.

I enjoyed it, but it should have been done properly. Shouldnt have been IP, should have happened 20 years ago and should have used the preshow rooms instead of just endless corridors. Then it could have been a family staple for Thorpe Park, rather than another Merlin 5 year failure.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, Stuntman707 said:

The corridors have always seemed to be a h&s problem. Nice to see pole head in the roof at the exit. ?

Yep - when I visited for opening meet, I clipped my knee on one of the sides/wall supports on the way in to the loading station. Flippin' hurt and all!

I actually really like that moments are in complete darkness, it's been a long time since a UK attraction has been passed off like that, but the amount of people being sent through an open corridor in a hurry (encouraging you to run) sounds like it could easily cause problems like that. If it was a bit different and used different techniques the darkness could work well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First time ride for me today. 

- It's really well hidden and has broken the flow around the area. No approach from Storm Surge, cut off the walkway around the store, and actual entrance isn't even in view when you commit to the path that only goes to it. All for an 'exit through the shop' opportunity?

- Pre-show is OK, doesn't rely too heavily on having to know TWD already.

- Long smelly corridors on entrance and exit remain long and smelly. No actors today.

- Requiring two riders per row remains an incredibly dumb and troublesome rule.

- The little scenes you shoot through are passable, the last one with the screens is the best but hardly breathtaking.

- The ride is too light throughout to be dark. Highlights the overall poor nature of the hardware the dark can disguise quite well. It's so obviously a kiddie/family coaster with an adult theme. That being a thing is still just mental.

Overall? Meh. It was far more enjoyable in its previous guise as a pointless but straight up cheesy fun rave coaster in the dark. I'd happily ride X a couple of times any visit, I'm not sure I'd want to bother going back on TWD ever again really.

• 7 months later...