The Walking Dead - The Ride: SPOILERS

JoshC.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, X:/ No Way Out said:

I miss the computer virus. I don't care for zombies, because King Eziekel isn't in it.

Have you ridden the coaster in any of its formats?  I’ve ridden it as XNWO just the once because - motion sickness and rode it as X and TWD many times.

The Walking Dead is a coaster that IMO worked best in its X format, because to put it simply, it is a family coaster.

Even when it ran backward and in the dark, it was a tame ride that had lower ridership as the height restriction stopped families from riding and the ride was too tame and the ride was also uncomfortable.

X fixed this, ditched the stop and start breaks, lowered the height restriction so pretty much anyone could ride it, and consequently was a lot more popular among the GP.

TWD right now is IMO the second most expendable ride at the park. The ridership seems to be criminally low, the past few visits during peak times this coaster was completely walk on when other rides had 2 hour waits. It is not a bad ride at all, but it certainly has failed to keep people coming back to it. I do enjoy the ride, but I do think retheming X was a stupid decision as this ride will always be a family coaster. Even when you throw barbed wire around it and cover it in zombies.

20 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

The Walking Dead is a coaster that IMO worked best in its X format, because to put it simply, it is a family coaster.

Even when it ran backward and in the dark, it was a tame ride that had lower ridership as the height restriction stopped families from riding and the ride was too tame and the ride was also uncomfortable.

X fixed this, ditched the stop and start breaks, lowered the height restriction so pretty much anyone could ride it, and consequently was a lot more popular among the GP.

TWD right now is IMO the second most expendable ride at the park. The ridership seems to be criminally low, the past few visits during peak times this coaster was completely walk on when other rides had 2 hour waits. It is not a bad ride at all, but it certainly has failed to keep people coming back to it. I do enjoy the ride, but I do think retheming X was a stupid decision as this ride will always be a family coaster. Even when you throw barbed wire around it and cover it in zombies.

Well my guess is they were paid a stupid amount of money to do it.... Or they thought having an IP was worth it. We all know how much Thorpe love their IPs... And they nearly never pay off. This is another example of that.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, Han30 said:

Have you ridden the coaster in any of its formats?  I’ve ridden it as XNWO just the once because - motion sickness and rode it as X and TWD many times.

I live in the US, so no. I just found out that the computer virus theme was only for the revamp in the late 2000s, not from the very start. It was basically a ride that went "wrong" and the "X:/" thing was to look trendy. So yeah, Thorpe must've been inspired by Swayzak somehow when they revamped the ride...

15 hours ago, X:/ No Way Out said:

So yeah, Thorpe must've been inspired by Swayzak somehow when they revamped the ride...

There's no simpler way to state this: Thorpe were not inspired by Swayzak.

They had a tiny bit of money and did the easiest thing with it. There was no research about what would be good. There was no outside inspiration. It was just "we've got a bit of money to freshen up X:\No Way Out a tiny bit, let's make some videos for the queue line. Oh, because it has X:\ in it, let's make the video about a computer virus".

It's nice there's a vague coincidental link between what Thorpe did and a TV show you like, but it is nothing more than a coincidence. 

18 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

RE: motion sickness - Fun fact, I was sick in the exit corridoor of XNWO when it used to go backwards. I would have done it on a patch of dirt but it used to take. so. damn. long. to get out.

And it still does.

I still to this day don’t know how I didn’t throw up on XNWO - this was many years before I discovered motion sickness tablets.  At least you boffed in the corridor and not on some unsuspecting fellow rider 🤣

8 hours ago, Han30 said:

I still to this day don’t know how I didn’t throw up on XNWO - this was many years before I discovered motion sickness tablets.  At least you boffed in the corridor and not on some unsuspecting fellow rider 🤣

You dont want to know how slippery that floor is covered in sick, I saw far so many people slip over in it! I would say its worse than people throwing up on the ride, as people either bent down and were sick on the floor or over the side of the train.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, MarsLlama said:

I'm assuming this won't be opening for a while? 

It hasn't been explicitly said either way whether the ride is actually going to reopen on Saturday or not. From the details here, we have:

How many rides or experiences will be open / what will be closed?

We will initially reopen with the vast majority of our outdoor rides and attractions open, including firm favourites Stealth, The Swarm, Nemesis Inferno, SAW - The Ride, Colossus and Detonator.  Some rides and indoor attractions may remain closed in line with Government guidance.  We are taking a careful and cautious approach to reopening, so guests visiting in the first two weeks after opening will see significantly reduced guest numbers and may experience reduced ride offering. 

As I understand it, the list of rides which require you to wear a face mask is more or less the whole list of rides reopening from Saturday:

Which rides do I have to wear a face mask on?

Guests over the age of 6 will be required to wear a face mask on the following rides:

• Stealth, Swarm, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, SAW The Ride, Flying Fish, Detonator, Samurai, King Pig’s Wild Hog Dodgems, Samurai, Vortex, Zodiac, Mr Monkey’s Banana Ride, Storm in a Teacup, Rocky Express, Quantum

Guests are encouraged to bring a suitable mask with them when they visit but they can also buy one at the Resort.  Guests will not be permitted to ride without a face mask, unless they are under the age or 6 or have certain medical conditions / disabilities. 

Samurai is listed twice, presumably a typo. The water rides are not listed as the park have said they don't recommend wearing them on rides where you get wet, but I believe Depth Charge and Tidal Wave at the very least are planned to open. No indoor attraction is listed, so presumably they will be closed at first. Rush is also missing from the list, and as I understand it, will be closed for a while due to non-coronavirus reasons.

I believe they're hoping to reopen more rides in a phased basis, depending on how the restrictions go and how the park feel. 

Walking Dead is a difficult one. Being indoors is one challenge. The long dark corridors don't lend themselves to social distancing. The 'there must be 2 people per row' alienates odd numbered groups completely now. So it'll be interesting to see their decision.

• 2 months later...

Noticed yesterday when queuing for Colossus that the air con for TWD building was running, and there was a sign placed on the emergency exit door near Colossus's station regarding COVID-19 safety - normal style as found around the rest of the park saying "no entry". So there must be something happening inside, probably just engineers routine testing/maintenance but hopefully the park has found a way to get it open at some point soon.

3 hours ago, coaster38 said:

Noticed yesterday when queuing for Colossus that the air con for TWD building was running, and there was a sign placed on the emergency exit door near Colossus's station regarding COVID-19 safety - normal style as found around the rest of the park saying "no entry". So there must be something happening inside, probably just engineers routine testing/maintenance but hopefully the park has found a way to get it open at some point soon.

There isn't any Air con inside possibly fans but never known them to run in a long long time.

I wouldn't expect it to open this season. Even on the recently updated Fright Nights FAQs page, they list Walking Dead, Ghost Train and Jungle Escape as unable to open due to Covid.

As mentioned, there's only fans in there as opposed to aircon. Likely turned on for engineers who may have been working in there.

There's air con somewhere inside, as it was the large condenser unit mounted on the side of the building that was running, they can only run to an AC system and don't really serve other purposes as they just pump and cool refrigerant. Possibly just inside the ops rooms and back areas but still it shows activity indoors.

I don't expect it to open this year either but at least it shows there is work ongoing to get it open.

6 hours ago, coaster38 said:

There's air con somewhere inside, as it was the large condenser unit mounted on the side of the building that was running, they can only run to an AC system and don't really serve other purposes as they just pump and cool refrigerant. Possibly just inside the ops rooms and back areas but still it shows activity indoors.

I don't expect it to open this year either but at least it shows there is work ongoing to get it open.

Only thing I can think of is the ride PLC computers....

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 3:24 AM, JoshC. said:

There's no simpler way to state this: Thorpe were not inspired by Swayzak.

They had a tiny bit of money and did the easiest thing with it. There was no research about what would be good. There was no outside inspiration. It was just "we've got a bit of money to freshen up X:\No Way Out a tiny bit, let's make some videos for the queue line. Oh, because it has X:\ in it, let's make the video about a computer virus".

It's nice there's a vague coincidental link between what Thorpe did and a TV show you like, but it is nothing more than a coincidence. 

I know that. Maybe, if I do get the computer virus character I'm working on published (I intend to send him to DC, as they're my favorite), he could be the mascot of a DC retheme of the ride. (Like Six Flags, but in the UK.)

1 hour ago, X:/ No Way Out said:

I know that. Maybe, if I do get the computer virus character I'm working on published (I intend to send him to DC, as they're my favorite), he could be the mascot of a DC retheme of the ride. (Like Six Flags, but in the UK.)

Unfortunately Merlin run their parks much different to how Six Flags run things. Six Flags love to use their DC and Looney Tunes rights left and right, with Merlin the IP's are kind of spotty, and nowhere near as widespread as lets say Six Flags.

With X/X No Way Out at Thorpe Park, its really just a small family roller coaster in a pyramid. The ride never really had much theming, even less than lets say The Dark Knight Coasters at Great Adventure and Great America. The ride was in pitch black darkness, and the queue line was just black corridors. It is a shame because if they did theme it to how you said, it would of been amazing! But it was really just a family coaster in pitch black.

I honestly don't see Merlin using a DC theme, Six Flags have already kind of milked that one lol.

DC isn't really all that big here either too be honest, I think you folk are much more interested in DC than we are.

2 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

Unfortunately Merlin run their parks much different to how Six Flags run things. Six Flags love to use their DC and Looney Tunes rights left and right, with Merlin the IP's are kind of spotty, and nowhere near as widespread as lets say Six Flags.

With X/X No Way Out at Thorpe Park, its really just a small family roller coaster in a pyramid. The ride never really had much theming, even less than lets say The Dark Knight Coasters at Great Adventure and Great America. The ride was in pitch black darkness, and the queue line was just black corridors. It is a shame because if they did theme it to how you said, it would of been amazing! But it was really just a family coaster in pitch black.

I honestly don't see Merlin using a DC theme, Six Flags have already kind of milked that one lol.

DC isn't really all that big here either too be honest, I think you folk are much more interested in DC than we are.

Really? I thought everyone loved DC. In fact, I saw a Superman anti-smoking PSA that came from Britain.

1 minute ago, X:/ No Way Out said:

Really? I thought everyone loved DC. In fact, I saw a Superman anti-smoking PSA that came from Britain.

Yeah honestly I feel superheroes in general have kind of lost traction over here in general. I feel they are much more appreciated over the pond. I think DC's rocky track record of movies in the past ten years hasn't helped. People know these characters, but I don't think they know much besides the name. I also doubt Merlin could get the rights. Six Flags kind of have a hold on DC. Like how Merlin has Lego. Six Flags also brand everything these days to DC IP's. 

• 6 months later...

Owing to the 'Exactly 2 people per row' rule, only groups with an even number can ride Walking Dead when it reopens from Monday: https://www.thorpepark.com/explore/theme-park/rides/the-walking-dead-the-ride/

Obviously before Covid, if there were odd-numbered groups, they would just pair them up or, worst case scenario, an actor would fill the space. That can't happen under their social distancing rules of course.

I expect it will work in the same way Storm Surge works (which has a minimum of 4 per boat rule), with someone outside the entrance stopping odd-numbered groups entering the queue. 

Will be interesting to see what level of social distancing happens. I'd imagine the pre show will be cut, but it will be interesting how they batch people in. Presumably they'll also be leaving a row between each group, which could see as little as 6 people per train, rather than the usual 10. Bit of a hit.

• 1 month later...

I think the zombies chasing everyone out is effing hilarious, but I wish King Ezekiel was in it. (His actor in the show is also the voice actor of Cyborg, my favorite DC superhero.)

I have an idea for X:/ No Way Out in a potential Thorpe Park Rangers comic series, utilizing the computer horror motif from the 2007 update, where the computer virus is the main villain (almost like Brainiac and Swayzak had a baby.) His voice will be modeled after the voice in the original queue that says "There is no way out..."

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this post. But just wanted to talk about my experience with walking dead on my last visit.

This ride has definitely grown on my and I do think it’s in my top 10 rides at thorpe now.

When I went last tuesday, the operations were great, with the baggage people only allowing bags in the storage wrist band place telling everyone to put jumpers etc back on to save time. The first time I went on it the queue was 5 mins then the other two times it was walk on. My last ride on it was the best. Me and my mate got an entire train to ourselves as there was nobody else there, and for the first time ever (for me) there were actors in the end. As there were only two of us the experience was great they chased us for ages and separated us making it even better!

I don’t know why there were randomly actors in TDW because I’ve never had them before and I’ve heard many times that there are never actors there. It wasn’t even an especially busy day considering it was the school holidays, so I don’t see why they would use the actors.