Year Of The Walking Dead Events (2018)

7 hours ago, Hethetheth said:

I am still very curious as to exactly what the 'missions' are for the Apocalypse weekends. Anyone know what this might actually entail?

I imagine it's similar to Big 6 Challenge Alton Towers did and the Island 7 challenge thing Thorpe did last year.

You'll download the app, and you need to check in / take photos at certain points across the park. Probably themed around taking out Walkers or something. Once you've done so many, you've completed the challenge and huzzah.

I feel like Thorpe are really clueless sometimes with their unclear future direction. They had a great ImaScore track made for fright nights and they use it any time they want now. There’s going to be very little left to differentiate Fright Nights from TWD events this year. And how many years will they recycle the studio director audio?

I hope the minimal theming at the entrance, etc is there because they plan to remove it on weekdays (IE keep it as a bonus thing for Apocalypse Weekends). Less theming means it's easier to remove / put back up each weekend.

Makes you wonder if it would have been better to have a 'Month of the Apocalypse' in June though, and have every June day as one of these things. Means they wouldn't have to worry about theming and signage being relevant, and they could spring out a bit more.

My main issue with the Apocalypse Weekends is the fact it exists to give people a free return ticket in September. I know September is traditionally the quietest month of season, but why encourage people to collect a free return ticket when you should be encouraging people to buy an Annual Pass? If you're a first-time visitor, and you buy a ticket online for £30, and then enjoy your day, what are you more likely to do - spend an extra £19 to come back whenever, or be given a free ticket to come back in September if you want? More people are going to take the freebie.

Feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit if I'm honest. Should have been a different giveaway with the app - maybe free parking for the day if you upgrade to Annual Pass, £5 discount of an Annual Pass. I dunno. Just anything to drive people towards buying an Annual Pass whilst still making them feel like the app thing is worthwhile.

11 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

I feel like Thorpe are really clueless sometimes with their unclear future direction. They had a great ImaScore track made for fright nights and they use it any time they want now. There’s going to be very little left to differentiate Fright Nights from TWD events this year. And how many years will they recycle the studio director audio?

Totally agree, the whole buzz of Fright Nights has gone. Their new 2017 maze for FN is opening for may half term with changes, saw in the summer. The imascore track is now used at every possible moment. So what on earth will happen when Fright nights comes, everything unique for the event will have happened already.  No one will really go for 3 mazes.

But yes, the theming is rather thin and in theory would have only cost a few white sheets from primark haha. They could have done so much more

2 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Feels like they're shooting themselves in the foot a bit if I'm honest. Should have been a different giveaway with the app - maybe free parking for the day if you upgrade to Annual Pass, £5 discount of an Annual Pass. I dunno. Just anything to drive people towards buying an Annual Pass whilst still making them feel like the app thing is worthwhile.

Sounds about right, miss-matched marketing. 

Will be interesting to see what they do with Fright Nights this year to make sure it still has the appeal with the other bits happening over the year - it’s possibly why they opted to open Living Nightmare earlier on in the season, and having just Saw Alive open during Summer.

On the subject of the imascore Fright Night track, Walking Dead The Ride plays an edited version now rather than the track being used at the entrance / dome.

• 1 month later...