Stargazing Pods - New accommodation for 2019

Stuntman707

• 1 month later...

There's good reason people are against Alton Towers new pods. Looking at it purely in comparison to what Premier Inn are planning -

Premier Inn:

- Designed by PriestmanGoode

- twin beds that can be pushed together to create a double

- a bathroom with power shower

- free wifi

- a TV

- power sockets

- air conditioning

From £19 a night

Alton Towers:

- Bare Pinewood "minimalistic theming"

- fixed twin beds & small double taking up most floorspace

- free wifi

- power sockets

- convection heater

- Shared bathroom facilities a short walk away in "pod camp"

- Breakfast bap

(Currently free mini golf offer)

From £88 a night off peak

Purely on value for money, Premier Inn's luxury pods wipes the floor over Alton Towers pods.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:02 PM, Stuntman707 said:

There's good reason people are against Alton Towers new pods. Looking at it purely in comparison to what Premier Inn are planning -

Premier Inn:

- Designed by PriestmanGoode

- twin beds that can be pushed together to create a double

- a bathroom with power shower

- free wifi

- a TV

- power sockets

- air conditioning

From £19 a night

Alton Towers:

- Bare Pinewood "minimalistic theming"

- fixed twin beds & small double taking up most floorspace

- free wifi

- power sockets

- convection heater

- Shared bathroom facilities a short walk away in "pod camp"

- Breakfast bap

(Currently free mini golf offer)

From £88 a night off peak

Purely on value for money, Premier Inn's luxury pods wipes the floor over Alton Towers pods.

Towers pods are on site - Premier Inn's are opening in Cardiff City Center surrounded with competition, thats a fairly significant difference.

Didnt people think the Thorpe Shark was a terrible idea and destined to fail? 

Thorpe Shark isn’t the best, but looks way better now when compared to the the Pods. Premier Inn are showing us what is possible with their pod concept. All Merlin is doing is lowering standards but still over charging for what you get. Of course rival hotels are never going to be on site. Maybe they are reasonable depending on what you consider to be worth 4 times the price of a Premier Inn pod - On site location, poor competition, complacent owners etc.

You’ll always get better value for money at an off-site hotel, that’s pretty much the case for any sort of entertainment value - whilst I agree they are not the best rooms in the world - it’s a good alternative to the more expensive rooms available which I’m sure many will take advantage of.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Didnt people think the Thorpe Shark was a terrible idea and destined to fail? 

Compared to an actual brick built hotel which has had planning permission for years it remains pretty terrible really. It serves a purpose, it's cheap, it'll do, but it's hardly what they should be striving for. 

Comparisons with city center hotels aren't particularly relevant, but really, accomodation which is purely for leisure should be vastly superior (you should want to stay there) to budget functional rooms business types have to stay in for no pleasure whatsoever.

While Thorpe Shark is a fairly poor, these pods are downright atrocious.

I think the problem Alton probably have is if the pods were of a too high spec they would potentially compete with the more expensive huts in EV - which they will want to avoid. 

I think people will want to stay in the pods, they aren’t not luxury sure but they will certainly do a young couple / family for a night, the same ones who would have usually spent their £70 on a hotel down the road not wanting to pay the higher hotel prices at the park.

7 hours ago, pluk said:

Hardly your standard Merlin bashing bandwagoning.

These are turd of the highest order. It needs to fail miserably so not to be repeated anywhere in the empire.

Disagreed. They actually harm no one (apart from the people stupid enough to stay in them) and if there is a market for them, then that's what's being tapped into. They're literally on the same level as something like the Tipi village at Europa Park. 

• 5 months later...

I just saw the stargazing pods for the first time and I couldn't help but laugh.

How are they stargazing pods when the ceiling is completely solid with no glass? You're paying to stay in a utility shed with no toilet.

Why do they keep wasting money on this pointless accommodation instead on spending it on the park?

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I just saw the stargazing pods for the first time and I couldn't help but laugh.

How are they stargazing pods when the ceiling is completely solid with no glass? You're paying to stay in a utility shed with no toilet.

Why do they keep wasting money on this pointless accommodation instead on spending it on the park?

Because Varney is desperate to get to the 1000 rooms, that’s all the sheds are for a tick box for shareholders.