Cedar Point/Canada 2020 (TBC)

My family and I are considering doing a trip to Cedar Point and Canada (maybe Canada’s wonderland if I can convince them to go). The intention is to spend 2 days at cedar point, stay in the Hotel Breakers, get fast lane plus for both days and a maybe sunrise tour on one of the days then spend some time in Canada.

There’s just a few things I want to know about:

What’s the chance of Cedar Point getting a new large scale coaster in 2020 considering it’ll be their 150th anniversary?/Is it worth waiting till 2020 to go as opposed to 2019?

When in the summer (between late July and the end of August) is the weather going to be ideal so that there is a smaller chance of downtime for their coasters? I’m not too worried about busyness as I intend on getting fast lane plus.

What’s the best way to get to Cedar Point from the UK flights wise? We will definitely get a hire car.

Is Canada’s Wonderland worth it? And if I only go for 1 day (which is likely if I manage convince my family to go in the first place) is it worth getting fast lane plus? 

Is there anything else I should know in advance before going to Cedar Point? (Or even Canada’s Wonderland?)

Canada Wonderland is worth it for Behemoth and Vortex alone (and I'm sure Yukon Striker). You don't really need fast lane really as they tend to run full capacity on all their coasters and Behemoth/Leviathan have very high throughputs. The only thing really is you can't get to the park that easily from Toronto which is the nearest city. You only need one day there as they have long opening hours such as 10am-10pm most days.

Both parks have very short seasons so keep that in mind. Cedar Point for example is only open for three full months before going weekends only in September and October.

I think it’s almost a cast iron certainty Cedar Point will be opening a coaster for the anniversary. They are having a quiet investment year next season so they will most likely go big for the anniversary. So I would personally recommend waiting for the anniversary year (plus I myself will be going back then too!) 

In terms of “when to visit weather wise”, any time in August would be ideal really given the long opening hours (this chances on the last week of August as it is considered “off peak” so the park closes earlier at 8pm) the lines ofcourse will be long but if you are investing in fast lane plus anyway, this won’t be an issue. Be aware though they do seem to do a Merlin with fast lane and oversell it (Steel Vengeances fastlane can still easily clock in at over an hour)

For flights, I flew to Iceland first before getting a connecting flight to Cleveland Hopkins. Both flights together are around 8 hours worth of flying time. From there it’s a one hour drive from Cleveland to Sandusky.

Hope this was some sort of help!! Cedar Point is the best park out there so it is definitely worth going.... don’t even think....just go!!

I think Mark and Martin cover the key areas here but I’ll mention a few things anyway. 

Flights with Icelandic air from Gatwick to Cleveland via Reykjavik is a good way of going. Not bad at all and think they are pretty reasonable as costs go. 

May or August are the best times to go, but I would check calendars in advance for both parks as the May still be closed days. 

2020 for a new coaster is likely, given the park’s anniversary.

You will probably need two visas, one for the Ststes and another for Canada.