Fright Nights 2018 - Spoiler Thread

JoshC.

• JoshC. pinned this topic

The event has potential... Considering it was only a preview tonight there was some positives to take. Roaming actors, especially the clowns tonight was a big positive and seemed to see them quite often through the night. However the mazes...

Blaire Witch - Daytime 3/10 Night 6/10 Yes yes it's a preview event, which is why it has potential. Lots more overgrown , can't see round some corners. More themeing. So much more potential for the event. However very short.

Dead Creek Woods - 5/10 Maze has a lot of promise and has a very good chainsaw section in the middle. Ending could be better but hopefully as the event goes on they improve on the ending. But hopeful.

Platform 15 , Living Nightmare and Saw all exactly the same which isn't a bad thing. Platform and Saw was good tonight. LN was meh. No actors really but perhaps expected on preview night.

But with still two mazes and other elements obviously not shown tonight there is promise. Looking forward to getting back for a 10-10 night later in the event.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of attractions tonight. And today was just a preview; there is so much potential this year! Mini reviews from my runs tonight are as follows: 

Platform 15 - Best maze tonight for me. The amount of actors in the village, especially at the end of the night, was crazy! Had a good few actors in the tunnel as well which really caught me off guard. The finale.. I did prefer last year’s in all honesty. Better at night than day but that’s no surprise. 

Blair Witch - Huge improvement on previous incarnations of the maze! A lot of actors throughout and they did not hold back on intensity. It is a little short however. It’s definitely better at night as well. Definitely has potential to be better, but still great. 

Dead Creek - Surprisingly scary! The chainsaw in the middle was actually horrifying. Again definitely has more potential and is better at night. 

Saw Alive - Identical as expected. Not the best run I’ve had but pretty good none the less. 

Living Nightmare - Not a fan of this tonight. Lacking in actors and sadly didn’t get too many scares (the ones that were there were great however!). I’ve seen how good this maze can be so hopefully it improves as the event goes on. 

The Big Top roaming team were great and were around the park for nearly all of the night; we saw them multiple times all around the park! All in all, it’s looking positive! And seeing as tonight was a preview, we could very easily be seeing these mazes increase in quality by next week. I’m looking forward to heading back soon to do the other attractions and head back in the ones that were open tonight. 

After doing Dead Creek in the light (and there was no chainsaw part) plus Living Nightmare which I prefer to call Living Sh£&emare, I was feeling decidedly meh but hadn’t built up any expectations at all and went in fully expecting it to be naff (that way you avoid being bitterly disappointed plus I’m just a bundle of pessimism).  

Living Nightmare had 2 females in the first part who weren’t scary and there was no photo point but that could change. I much preferred last year with matey and his baseball bat.   At the end, my niece and I were way ahead of our group so the actor asked where everyone was and I said they were dead!) so she just told us to escape so we strolled our casually!

Thankfully things got better after doing Platform in the dark (so much better than when it’s light), Saw which I love because I always think it smells of bacon in there (though I walked into a horrific stench of body odour towards the end so it was more like bacon and onions) and surprisingly Blair Witch - I expected zero from BW going by past run throughs but it is SO much better - only thing I would say is that I’d be surprised if no one either falls into a bush, falls out of the shed, or trips on the flaps at the end but maybe I’m just clumsy.  There were loads of actors in there and they were fab.  It’s much shorter than before but a lot better IMO.

The clowns etc were brilliant and interacting with guests so well.  They were on the bridge at the end of the evening chasing poor sods who decided to run - it was funny to watch though.  Throughout the afternoon and evening we saw them several times and they really scared some people.

When I heard that Big Top was not going to be there this FN in maze form I thought it would be complete ? but actually turned out a lot better than I had anticipated  - plus Vulcan Peak and Do or Die weren’t open yet so there is a lot more potential.  I think once FN starts fully and the nights start getting darker,  then the atmosphere will add to it all, plus FN audio etc and the actors getting accustomed to their roles it could be a decent year.   So yeah for me I was pleasantly surprised 

4 hours ago, jessica2 said:

Shame I thought living nightmare was decent last year! Why did they get rid of Negan at the start? Has that been the same all year? Hopefully they bring him back for the main event 

I really liked Living Nightmare last year and the beginning with Negan was a great start to the maze - I never did Living Nightmare Extreme back in May so no idea if he was in there but I did have a run through of LN in the summer which they opened for a bit until Saw Alive was ready and again, no Negan or photo.  Though yesterday was a preview so fingers crossed he returns with his baseball bat ?

That's good to know.

Just watched The Jack Silkstone's vlog from the sick AP preview night of sorts - have to say the roaming clowns looked good from that. Have also read complaints from the beloved MAP'ers group that they were too scary and were frightening their children... perhaps some research before visiting would be a good idea to a theme park that is allegedly the Year Of The Living Dead (and Love Island) when bringing your kiddy winks ?

We had a carnation of Negan at start of Living S**tmare too on the previews; albeit I did make comment that he looked more like Rylan (and thus, scarier - sorry!)

For me I found SAW far out the strongest, and had the two best runs through SAW ever. I love the free flow of the maze now they’ve ditched the shoulder-holding, and I hope it stays this way.

Platform just didn’t do anything for me as per, nor did LN; likewise it didn’t in summer. For both I just find the old school grunt and click approach doesn’t phase me.

I second thoughts on Dead Creek and Blair, both surprisingly strong(er) than expected and for me better than Platform or LN. But equally quite a long drive between those and SAW. SAW had me several times over a couple of go’s, and once on the floor; something which only Big Top and Sub has managed until now.

1 hour ago, Flipper said:

For me I found SAW far out the strongest, and had the two best runs through SAW ever. I love the free flow of the maze now they’ve ditched the shoulder-holding, and I hope it stays this way.

The maze was the usual hands-on-shoulders when I went through on Saturday?

I feel it would definitely work just as well as a free-flow attraction, if not better. I've never been a fan of HOS mazes..

7 hours ago, MilesK said:

The maze was the usual hands-on-shoulders when I went through on Saturday?

I feel it would definitely work just as well as a free-flow attraction, if not better. I've never been a fan of HOS mazes..

Had 3 goes on Saw Alive on Saturday and the first time the person giving safety instructions never mentioned hands on shoulders so half of our group ended up way behind - noticed that on our second and third go he specifically said to keep hands on shoulders of the person in front so I’m just guessing that people got split off from their groups and potentially caused a bit of a hold up.  I would prefer if it was free flow as I hate doing the conga line and shuffling along - even worse if the person in front is walking too fast!

15 hours ago, Ryan said:

‘Negan’ was there when I went through on Saturday. 

Lucky! We had 2 really not scary actors - hopefully he returns full time in the first bit - last year the actor/s playing that role were really good and it was a fab start to the maze

Cant remember if I mentioned in my waffly post but we did Platform once in the light and once in the dark.  On our “light” go there were just 6 of us in our group and I could see where all the actors were before they jumped out - this maze is definitely one to do in the dark.  Also on our first go, at the end of the tunnel (in a tent room thing) we had to form a circle to “summon” the spirit of a bride who then jumped out screaming which I thought made a better ending than just...walking....through.....a......tunnel.... with nothing at the end and it felt more like a story - also scared the ? out of everyone.  But when we went through in the dark there was no summoning and it was just walking.....through.....a.....tunnel - I love P15 but it definitely needs a proper ending 

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Agree from FN 2017 - not sure if it's been changed this year...? It was a very anti-climactic end to the maze last year from memory.

There is a slight change

Spoiler

There is a new ending scene, where the bride is called upon, but then some man will jump out. No idea who the bride is, no mention of a bride at any point during the maze and if you're summoning a bride, why does a conductor appear. **** if you ask me

2 hours ago, jessica2 said:

I hate the tunnel at the end of platform with a passion, it’s so dull and pointless

I have to disagree. I have disliked it in previous years but in my runs last weekend, there were actors in sections of the tunnel that really did make it scary; you cannot see them coming because of how dark it is. The sound effects and fog are nice additions too. It's nothing amazing, but it's far more interesting that it was in 2016.

The finale... is probably the weakest out of all of the finale's Platform has seen in it's 3 years. Hopefully improvements have been made over the closed days and it will be better tomorrow evening and for when the event is fully operational this weekend.

2 hours ago, MilesK said:

I have to disagree. I have disliked it in previous years but in my runs last weekend, there were actors in sections of the tunnel that really did make it scary; you cannot see them coming because of how dark it is. The sound effects and fog are nice additions too. It's nothing amazing, but it's far more interesting that it was in 2016.

This is exactly what I thought it needed in 2016 (only time I've done Platform), a dark space can be enhanced so much with sound effects

1 hour ago, MilesK said:

The finale... is probably the weakest out of all of the finale's Platform has seen in it's 3 years. Hopefully improvements have been made over the closed days and it will be better tomorrow evening and for when the event is fully operational this weekend.

Hah I haven’t been this year yet but last year it was dull I don’t think there were any actors. Not a fan of how long it was and we didn’t have any finale lol. Just shuffling along for forever.... I mean it’d b nice if they’ve improved it this year!!

38 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

Hah I haven’t been this year yet but last year it was dull I don’t think there were any actors. Not a fan of how long it was and we didn’t have any finale lol. Just shuffling along for forever.... I mean it’d b nice if they’ve improved it this year!!

It is still a long black tunnel with a pretty naff finale, but the tunnel itself did have actors, sound and effects on Saturday, so hopefully they keep that up. It really makes it better!