Jobs at Thorpe Park

RyanBeatsMinty07

What is the usual amount of time that Merlin take to contact you after an application?

I applied back in January and went to the assessment etc and was told I had passed but there were no vacancies, so I was kept on file, then nearly 2 weeks ago I was randomly called and offered a position in Sales and Promotion. That might not help loads, but might give you a rough idea? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Make memories that last forever & enjoy flexible working!

THORPE PARK Resort is hiring now!

Opportunities now available in:

Food and Beverage (http://tinyurl.com/Food-Beverage-Opportunities

)

Customer Service (http://tinyurl.com/Customer-Service-Opportunities

)

Music provided by https://soundcloud.com/twisterium

Thorpe are recruiting for this season, if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...

Merged with the existing thread.

The official rule for working at Merlin is that you do not post anything about the business on social media. This includes posting anonymously, etc. The rule is essentially the same for other companies too.

In saying that, there are plenty of people who no doubt bend those rules. Especially in this day and age where social media is so important, staff posting about work (in a positive light) is probably a good thing. You only have to read between the lines of certain members' posts to see who those people are. Also, I'm sure that rule is pretty much thrown out the window these days given one of Thorpe's marketing team runs their own theme park fan site and regularly cross advertises the two...

There are a fair few people here who work in the industry, or have done (hello!). The big points you'll hear from anyone who has worked in the industry are...

-Pay. Pay is pretty minimal, regardless of department, until you reach very senior figures (at which point, it grows pretty exponentially). Working at a theme park / in the industry is a labour of love.

-Staffing. Most theme parks are seen as summer / weekend jobs for people, so usually attracts people who aren't that dedicated and could leave at the drop of a hat. That's true even for giants like Universal and Disney. That puts added pressure on those who do it out of a labour of love.

-Atmosphere. People working at parks, especially younger ones, will regularly mention how fun it is, how they make lifelong friends, etc. Working at a theme park, even through all the bad things, can be amazing.

In my experience, many people have a romanticised view of working at a theme park before they get there, especially theme park enthusiasts. You truly don't know what's it like until you've been there and done it.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Agree with her 100% about the height restrictions! Once had two women try to take newborn babies in wheelchairs into the Vampire station, they were having none of it when I said they couldn't go into the station.

What?!!!

I was waiting to go in Saw Alive (think it was last year) and a woman rocks up with a very young baby in a pushchair - she wanted to take the baby in with her and got really angry when she was explained why she couldn’t.  I was stood there with my mouth wide open - who in their right mind would want to take a young baby into a horror maze?!

As someone who also used to work at a theme park, much of that is very relatable. 

Too often you got people waltzing upto the platform with kids considerably smaller than the limit. When you told them they were too short they would go ballistic with you. Working just shows you how stupid and self entitled people can be sometimes as guests would complain about literally everything. 

On the plus side testing the rides was fun, sometimes you got socials (which sometimes included rides) and some very reasonable perks.

Most theme park jobs aren’t glamorous, high paying  or ‘’long term’’ career based, but are great if you want to get your foot into the door for a career, have an interest in the theme park/tourism industry or if you want a Summer/college/Uni job.