Jobs at Thorpe Park

RyanBeatsMinty07

Yep, a ride host is the general term for rides staff. It goes:Attendant - checks bars, batches, deals with fastrack and all that...oh, and don't forget a very important job...cleaning up sick that any guests should deposit :) Good luck if you work on XNWO, it's puke central there! One memory sticks in mind...when it was closed for 2 hours , due to 8 big piles of sick down the exit, plus the guests had trodden it through. Bearing in mind it took so long because of the vast amount, and having to air the building out of sanitaire. The staff who cleaned it were working their butts off. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just warning you of the joys of XNWO, hopefully you'll avoid it though, then you're fine!Operator - the one who sits in the box and pushes the buttons :PThen there's...well, different parks have different terms, but Thorpe have RACs (Ride Area Co-ordinators), who deal with breaks, swaps, train attendants and ops, assess attendants. Ride unit managers are the next ones up, the ones in the light blue t-shirts and ear-pieces hehe. They assess operators, attend shut-downs, brief and de-brief at the end of the day, do some stuff in the office (Op Suite). Both RACs and Unit Managers get to wear nicer coats as well :)You'll get to know other people and managers as well, but those guys are the main ones you'll see every day at work. And the engineers ;)Once again I hope my little XNWO story hasn't scared anyone or put anyone off, it's just one of those "legendary" events that will happen whilst working there...along with Colossus lift hill evacs, Stealth rollbacks (maybe even a nice rest at the top eh?), VORTEX TRIPPING OUT WOOOO, Samurai being naughty with oil, and many, many other mad times! And their annual power cut, and adverse weather conditions (which can have interesting affects on Colossus)...I think I'm gonna stop now. These things may sound a little negative, but they're not, they're really just all part of the thrill of working at the Great Thorpe Park! I hope you all have a wonderful time working there! The socials are awesome too!EDIT: I've just remembered that Thorpe have changed their RACs etc, from what I hear (in rides). They have TLs now...and then senior TLs? I don't remember...well you'll find out when you start, but they're all lovely people!

I'm actually thinking of naming this post Quote Post Gone Mad. I just couldn't stop clicking quote.

Yes, they are allowed to operate if they are over 18, ride host is the general term for Rides Staff.

Wey heeyyyyyy. (Yep, I'm 18).

When do you start? Thrill Chill?

+

Yo dude, I see your from reading,I'm live in slough, I also have a job there,,how you planning on getting there>? Whens you Company induction?x

=A la train. *Gasp*. I hadn't been gasping at that, but everyone else I've told has gasped. So the gasp is really there to give you an accurate representation of the situation, without admission of guilt. Sorry, I swear I had that in a reply from Vodafone once.My company induction is the 7th March. My rides one is the 8th March. And just for heart attack purposes, I actually got *two* calls yesterday! The first one I swear I sounded like some stupid little girl on helium. The second, was an adjustment of dates so the two inductions were nearer each other. And then the FANTASTICAL person said "shall I just e-mail you these?". Hahaha. Good times.

Yep, a ride host is the general term for rides staff. It goes:Attendant - checks bars, batches, deals with fastrack and all that...oh, and don't forget a very important job...cleaning up sick that any guests should deposit :P Good luck if you work on XNWO, it's puke central there! One memory sticks in mind...when it was closed for 2 hours , due to 8 big piles of sick down the exit, plus the guests had trodden it through. Bearing in mind it took so long because of the vast amount, and having to air the building out of sanitaire. The staff who cleaned it were working their butts off. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just warning you of the joys of XNWO, hopefully you'll avoid it though, then you're fine!Operator - the one who sits in the box and pushes the buttons :P

Excitingness rating has increased. God knows why! I think I seriously have a Thorpe Park problem. I love it WAYYYY too much.So for an attempt at spreading the joy... there's

Their annual power cut

Haha!And

...a batcher tells them where to go

:) Release the hugs.

EDIT: I've just remembered that Thorpe have changed their RACs etc, from what I hear (in rides). They have TLs now...and then senior TLs? I don't remember...well you'll find out when you start, but they're all lovely people

Sort of. It goes: Hosts < RACs < TLs < RUMs and so on.... all very cool stuff! They've also put in a fantastic "pyramid" training scheme this year, to ensure people get trained fairly on the rides and get more opportunity to operate. Personally I think this year will be the best year ever, so you've clearly joined at a great time! I'm bare looking forward to my new home for the first 6 weeks too! :)

Sort of. It goes: Hosts < RACs < TLs < RUMs and so on.... all very cool stuff! They've also put in a fantastic "pyramid" training scheme this year, to ensure people get trained fairly on the rides and get more opportunity to operate. Personally I think this year will be the best year ever, so you've clearly joined at a great time! I'm bare looking forward to my new home for the first 6 weeks too! :)

Arrghhh! Things just keep getting better! Good advice there Outfit, thanks! I can't WAIT! XP

Can't believe railcards are £24, I forgot this last year I think, and thought they were £20 like in the good ol' days.Should get a renewal discount like AP holders do tbh :rolleyes:And the power cuts are such a laugh! Last year I was on break when it happened, all the lights went off, everywhere pitch black obviously (apart from the dim emergency lights haha). And the whole canteen just got up and cheered :DDepending on where the power cut is, depends on what rides are affected. Can't recall exactly what rides run off which generator, but there's one at Thorpe and one in Chertsey, which is the one that usually goes. Vortex is great when the power goes, the ride just swings on it's own momentum for ages, according to the training the longest it can take to stop is 45 minutes, but tbh that would be very rare! If it was windy however...hahaha! Same with Rush (which I experienced on a staff ride once, swing A cut out but swing B didn't, so they were stuck there until we had stopped :)). Fun times!And btw, X does have back-up lights should the power fail, it's the first thing everyone thinks of (guests), they're like "OMG! The people in X No Way Out are gonna be trapped in the dark!!" With the ghosts...watch out for those...and the bats and the pigeons!! (The last two have actually happened lol)

I just feel for the guests you know :rolleyes:.Last year there was a power cut at Cwoa and only one ride remained open... that was one of the Berry Bouncers. Yes one of them (the worst ride at Cwoa to operate) wouldn't stop.. :PBut yeah, congratulations to everyone who is now working at Thorpe. It won't always be the best job in the world but it is a lot of fun, you meet great people and will always remember it =)

Ok, so this is totally unexpected but I just received a text from Thorpe Park and an e mail basically saying that I've been offered an interview. I kinda didn't think that I'd be accepted but it looks like I have. I really want to go but in the long run, it's not the easiest and cheapest place to travel to :/ just thought I'd share this anyway, I guess I have to be quick thinking as there are only 2 available interview dates.

That's what I mean :/ I got a bit excited cos a mate of mine works there and lives right by me and he was like "money's not a problem, you can get there well cheap" but now I'm not too sure. Tbh, I honestly didn't really think about it, obv. Thorpe Park is a dream place to work for many of us but it's not the most realistic for me :/

Hmm well I don't know whereabouts in Hertfordshire you live but I live in Watford and trust me, its not cheap to get to Thorpe Park from there. Try using the Journey Planner on www.nationalrail.co.uk to see how much the fare would be. Depends how far out in Herts you are though, if its somewhere like Cheshunt or Broxbourne then it should be a bit cheaper.

I would advise you to stick with a job locally, whilst working for Thorpe Park would be a great experience it would be allot of hassle for you to travel long distances to get to work. The fact you have to travel a long distance would also mean you are more likely to be late to work or may be un-able to get there due to problems with transport. With that said, I know many staff who travel much further distances to get to work via. public transport so it really is completely up to you, if you want to do it then go for it! (Remember though, you have to go for an Assessment first so it might be worth going before making any major decisions)

IN all honesty nobody has a right to tell you what to do Jamie. On average it was costing me between £140 and £160 a month to get to Chessie with a young person's railcard. I had so many people telling me what I should and shouldn't do. I hindsight I'm glad I stuck at it for a season because it was such a fantastic experience. I wouldn't take it back for anything.

Get an assessment, go there via public transport, and then consider whether you want to do it daily.It cost me way more than sheepie to get there (well, £14 a day to be precise). It was definitely worth it, a full days work is like £30! After food and stuff I got around £10. I wasn't there for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my call today, and I got the job! I'm so pleased! My inductions are as follows:Company Induction: 14th MarchCommercial Induction: 28th MarchFood Safety Training: 29th March (I'm not even in F&B, I'm retail?)

Ahh well done mate! As for being in retail, you will still have to do the Health & Hygiene shizzle because you're dealing with the likes of stock with expiry dates and what not. As standard with all retail outlets (not just Thorpe) that sell products such as drinks and ice cream, regular daily temperature checks have to be completed. There's loads more to it, but to be fair, it's not rocket science, it's a total breeze! I was selling coffee during the winter, not in a coffee shop like Starbucks, but for a company called Nespresso, and I still had to do the training! Don't worry about it though, you'll learn what's relevant! A little examination hurt no one :)