2019 Season

Marc

Doubt they'd be able to just cancel an agreement with another company just cos "oh the game in question isn't as popular anymore", then have to spend MORE money to get a new promotion in for whatever latest fad game is out now...

This is the issue with jumping on bandwagons (especially games); if you're slightly late to the party you run the risk of it dying in the popularity stakes...

If Thorpe want to be popular with 13 year olds just get Pewdiepie to do a live stream... I'll take a 5% cut of all income for that idea Thorpe thanks...

3 hours ago, Benin said:

This is the issue with jumping on bandwagons (especially games); if you're slightly late to the party you run the risk of it dying in the popularity stakes...

But isn't that what Merlin for the most part are experts at - incorporating IPs which are on the downward trend with public popularity?

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if all this is hinting at a silly Fortnite IP for 2019. Arguably not as bad as Love Island last year, but still...

Imagination and originality at Thorpe really is dead currently.

https://www.thorpepark.com/events/gamefx

Basically, some gaming 'event' in the marquee, where you can book a slot and play some video games. There'll be some professional gamers there too on some days, playing assorted games.

Meh, don't get it personally. Yeah sure, there's stuff like arcades and VR is becoming more popular at theme parks, but these are sideshow elements for people to enjoy to kill a bit of time. Turning that into a full on event and focus doesn't really make sense? 

Very much stinks of 'we can't put in new rides for whatever reason, so let's just buy a few video games'.

25 minutes ago, Inferno said:

What...... o.0

What is happening to Thorpe Park? :(

A lack of pride in their image and loss of dignity is what's happening.

Granted, this is only an event one might say where you aren't being forced to attend it and lasts for just a few weeks. But come on, after Love Island Lates last year and now this?

To the management at Thorpe, are you deliberately trying to push away your customers here?

I’m not sure why it would push anyone away? It’s a small scale thing in the marquee as an add on to a normal day, those who are interested will be in there those who aren’t will be on the rides, much like Love Island Lates.

I can see them wanting to try stuff like this more, similar to what we saw last year with events throughout the year, this time just less zombieish!

An unnecessary expenditure for the park. They are restricted with capital so are unable to build a new half decent attraction and so have no choice but to try and focus on events to bolster the line up and sell as a reason to return. I suspect that they have very little impact on the parks revenue and advertising these events is just a way of reminding the public Thorpe Park exists. 

These events aren't going to turn anyone away but I doubt they will bring that many people in either. It just seems like a trick to get Merlin to release some capital for advertising so they can draw people into the park on the merits of existing attractions. 

Tomorrow will be a fun one when Merlin provide the preliminary financial results for 2018. That might be able to give us an insight into the lack of investment. 

One potential thing is that Thorpe might be getting a lot of amount of this through the advertising.

Taking up the marquee for the best part of two months means it's unlikely they'll be able to use that space for private events (unless it's super easy to dismantle the 'exhibits'). The marquee is a good way for the park to make a lot of extra revenue - it makes more than most would expect.

If they're losing that, they're definitely going to be making the money up in other ways, and it won't be from the VR upcharge things they have. They're probably making money from using the space for gaming tournaments, some companies are likely paying Thorpe to have their products on show in prime locations. I'd imagine it would be a good pitch - Thorpe approaches these companies and says "we're having a gaming event at the park, we're having x,y,z there, would you be interested? For this amount of money, we can make you the headliner of the event..."

I'm not saying that is what happening, but I imagine that's a likely outcome.

12 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

To the management at Thorpe, are you deliberately trying to push away your customers here?

This isn't going to push anyone away. No one is going "I WAS going to go to Thorpe Park this year, but they've got a gaming event in one small section of the park, so nah, screw that". It might mean people choose not to visit "Oh, I went to Thorpe a while back, should I go this year? Oh, they've got a gaming event on, that doesn't interest me, I'll hold off and visit somewhere else for now." 

On the flipside, it's possible this might attract people - but based on social media reaction, that number is minimal at best.

To get tickets to the "eSports Championship Series" at Wembley Arena costs you £18.25 total (including fees, the ticket itself is £12.50) for a comparison...

Granted no creds, but it's a bit of a weird overlap, especially when you only get 45 minutes to actually spend in there... Which if poorly managed crowd wise could end in disaster...

9 hours ago, JoshC. said:

This isn't going to push anyone away. No one is going "I WAS going to go to Thorpe Park this year, but they've got a gaming event in one small section of the park, so nah, screw that". It might mean people choose not to visit "Oh, I went to Thorpe a while back, should I go this year? Oh, they've got a gaming event on, that doesn't interest me, I'll hold off and visit somewhere else for now." 

On the flipside, it's possible this might attract people - but based on social media reaction, that number is minimal at best.

I'll rephrase what I said:

"To the management at Thorpe, are you deliberately trying to annoy your customers here?"

It's not so much the fact it's an event that I have a problem with here, it's that getting corporate sponsors and IPs involved to promote themselves for a big chunk of their 2019 season is just sheer laziness and lacks any proper thought or vision in my view.

I mean, isn't the whole purpose of visiting a theme park supposed to be to escape everyday life and just have a fun time for those hours? Last I checked, playing on a dedicated games console for 45 minutes is not something unique only to a theme park and the majority of youth in 2019 own such a device in their homes which they handle daily. Why fork out £33 minimum entry for something they can do at home? I just don't understand.

By all means, let the event happen, I just expected better than this from the "nation's thrill captial" who are owned by a business still classing themselves "2nd to Disney", that's all.

The park can frankly do much better.

I could be looking into this a little too much, however was looking at Thorpe Parks website and interestingly I noticed Rumba Rapids was the only ride which had “Will return in 2019” listed. 

Could this possibly be a nod towards a retheme or  more realistically it’s just left from Fright Nights?

837C0AD6-82B8-4959-A2BE-62018585CE45.png

2 minutes ago, Jack95 said:

I could be looking into this a little too much, however was looking at Thorpe Parks website and interestingly I noticed Rumba Rapids was the only ride which had “Will return in 2019” listed. 

Could this possibly be a nod towards a retheme or  more realistically it’s just left from Fright Nights?

837C0AD6-82B8-4959-A2BE-62018585CE45.png

Left over from last year

18 hours ago, Marhelorpe said:

Last I checked, playing on a dedicated games console for 45 minutes is not something unique only to a theme park and the majority of youth in 2019 own such a device in their homes which they handle daily. Why fork out £33 minimum entry for something they can do at home? I just don't understand.

I disagree with this. The large collection of consoles, retro gaming and virtual reality experiences on offer won't be found in any home across the country, making this a unique experience that many people can't do at home. 

39 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I disagree with this. The large collection of consoles, retro gaming and virtual reality experiences on offer won't be found in any home across the country, making this a unique experience that many people can't do at home. 

There's a retro game place in Leeds (no VR granted, but that's not the point) for £3 for a hour for assorted consoles (and MeatLiquor is underneath too!)... 

About as unique in the wider world as Containment is... I'd imagine it'll be a similar setup with various consoles with limited games (mostly multiplayer), however if it has a N64 with Pokemon Stadium then it'll be the best thing Thorpe have done in years...

Clearly GameFX isn't the only thing happening throughout the year.

Given the jungle motif and the fact I'm a Celebrity is gone, I'd placed bets on something almost definitely taking place in that space. What though? Same thing with no IAC tie-in? Something different like an escape room? Or an adventure course style thing? Or could it be something more akin to Zombie Hunt?

IAC is staying alongside an RMC themed to Dec downing a bottle of Jack Daniels and going drink driving through the jungle/Pinewood Studios, though Merlin only gave the park a budget of £50 so they've just got an old wacky worm and put some nice fencing from B&Q around the area hoping nobody will notice. You heard it here first! #worldsfirsthybridwackyworm