2019 Season

Marc

I wonder if DBGT has had anything done with it during the closed season? Could this potentially be the first season since it opened that nothing has been changed? Would be nice if there was a difference to trick the regulars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBGT will most likely be even more downgraded just like last season. I remember when they used to have actor on it, now it's just unenthusiastic staff rushing you along in a monotonous voice. Remember last time a woman working there said "shhhhh.... Listen or you won't ride!" - didn't realise this was a year 6 school trip! 

I’m still yet to go on DBGT Every time I’ve gone, I’ve either been in the queue and it’s gone down or it’s closed when I get to it! I literally gave up with it especially after hearing such bad reviews of it anyway. Doesn’t sound like I missed out on much.

On a serious note, I believe only 4 of the 12 scenarios for Ghost Train ever made it to public viewing (there may be more that I can't remember, see spoilers below...)

1) Old lady warning you of gas, old lady smashing into train

2) Old lady warning you of gas, young girl smashing into train

3) Old man warning you of gas, old lady smashing into train

4) Old man warning you of gas, young girl smashing into train

I'd be surprised if we see any changes to DBGT. 2017 changes were made to improve the ride. 2018 changes were made to change scene 2, which was regularly broken and caused several issues / shutdowns.

Ghost Train is no longer a focus, so they won't be making changes to improve the ride. And I don't think there's any obvious changes they can make to the experience to try and improve reliability. 

The only thing I feel that could happen is cuts made to scene 4, though hopefully they realised last year how it receives a negative reaction when it's not there.

You won't have to pay for park entry though? Would assume it would be in the Village (Conference Centre maybe), and I think a dedicated game event (rather than a hodge-podge of... things?) will likely attract more interest...

It's not that it IS a gaming event, it's HOW the event is run... I doubt you'll only be limited to 45 minutes of DotA action at DLP...

22 minutes ago, Benin said:

You won't have to pay for park entry though? Would assume it would be in the Village (Conference Centre maybe), and I think a dedicated game event (rather than a hodge-podge of... things?) will likely attract more interest...

It's not that it IS a gaming event, it's HOW the event is run... I doubt you'll only be limited to 45 minutes of DotA action at DLP...

The point was more that there’s clearly a market for this kind of stuff within the industry rather than the logistics between the 2 ?

7 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Yeah but is the rest of Disney falling apart and removing rides left right and centre?

(Genuine question as I've never been).

No but neither is thorpe so I’m not sure what relevance that has ;)

(I won’t deny it has its issues - but “falling apart and removing rides left right and centre” is quite extreme!)

25 minutes ago, Marc said:

but “falling apart and removing rides left right and centre” is quite extreme!

Slammer, The Loggers Leap scandal, Fright Nights 2018 was a disaster, Rumba Rapids is beyond fixable now, Saw Alive is sinking and outdated, DBGT was the biggest waste of money in Merlins history

Yeah no you're fine....

3 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

Slammer, The Loggers Leap scandal, Fright Nights 2018 was a disaster, Rumba Rapids is beyond fixable now, Saw Alive is sinking and outdated, DBGT was the biggest waste of money in Merlins history

Yeah no you're fine....

Rides close, they don’t last for ever (especially slammer..) Ghost train was added, as well as 2 rides for kids, Rumba is rumba agree it needs work, Saw alive isn’t “sinking”or it wouldn’t open.

As I said, Thorpe has its problems but I think people can be abit extreme...

14 hours ago, Coaster said:

Yeah but is the rest of Disney falling apart and removing rides left right and centre?

(Genuine question as I've never been).

DLP is not without it's problems, but at least we know in the future the Studios park is getting a MASSIVE investment (and rumours about the main park as well) over the next decade or so (Disney do like to take FOREVER to build things)...

Problem is when removing rides there's usually some notice of a replacement coming, it's what most parks do after all (unless rides are removed suddenly and without warning)...

The difference between DLP and Thorpe’s problems is basically the difference between a house that needs some redecorating and one with subsidence.

Thorpe have closed two popular rides in the last few years and whilst some things may be out of their control, I can’t see either replaced for at least two years.

53 minutes ago, Loggers Creek said:

The difference between DLP and Thorpe’s problems is basically the difference between a house that needs some redecorating and one with subsidence.

Thorpe have closed two popular rides in the last few years and whilst some things may be out of their control, I can’t see either replaced for at least two years.

I’ve heard slammer described as a lot of things but popular certainly isn’t one of them!

16 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

As anyone that plays Planet Coaster knows rides are expensive to run. You can't keep adding new rides without closing some old ones. Therefore, the removal of old rides usually signifies the addition of new rides! Yay! How long that will take is anyone's guess. 

Rides are relatively expensive to run but compare DBGT to any other ride on park, for staffing maintenance, parts, etc. They gave themselves an enormous slippery slope there. Merlin/Thorpe are definitely not thinking about operational costs when they make these decisions, so I don't think that's any reason why old rides are closed.

More usually rides means more theoretical capacity for your park, so you can grow your park and get more people through the door, so more money! That's the usual model anyway. Thorpe have plenty of other space to expand so there's not much case for removing old rides. That certainly wasn't the reason Loggers Leap was closed.

So yes you can keep adding new rides to a reasonable extent. As long as you're not adding DBGT, and that you're maintaining your old rides well enough to avoid a big gridlock situation where it now costs a big lump sum just to keep an old ride open. Slammer was a bit different though, it always was unreasonable even with maintenance.