2019 Season

Marc

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

Lets get the facts right before we go running to report the park and looking silly...

The capsules are not sold out (if they were to sell out the machines would remain open) - the mixing syrup is what’s sold out which is why machines are closed - if you are to buy a cup today you can refill them at f&b units (although  the park are recommending not buy a cup today due to the lack of freestyle offering!) 

That is not what I was told by what looked like a manager in the gift shop in the dome I approached earlier this morning. They told me they ran out of capsules to sell and because of that, they have turned off the machines across the park for all users.

Asked more staff and they told me they were told to keep them turned off all day in Inferno's shop too.

Staff in the Megastore said they sold out of the capsules too.

Are you seriously saying every single refill point in the park had run out of every drop of syrup in one day? I doubt that hugely. They should still be available, even if there is limited availability of syrup in the machines (but again, I was told otherwise twice).

3 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

That is not what I was told by what looked like a manager in the gift shop in the dome I approached earlier this morning. They told me they ran out of capsules to sell and because of that, they have turned off the machines across the park for all users.

Asked more staff and they told me they were told to keep them turned off all day in Inferno's shop.

Are you seriously saying every single refill point in the park had run out of every drop of syrup in one day? I doubt that hugely. They should still be avaialble, even if there is limited availability of syrup in the machines (but again, I was told otherwise).

As I said there’s plenty of capsules - but the park are recommending you don’t purchase as the only refills available are the standard Fanta / coke etc from F&B units.

No not every single machine has ran out of every single drop of syrup - but the choice is so limited they’ve taken the choice to close them and recommend guests not to purchase them.

1 minute ago, Mattgwise said:

Even if it is due to syrup running out that's still unacceptable considering its whats supposed to be one of the busiest weekends at the park. Even more worrying the park has been extremely quiet compared to other parks and they still ran out. Not good in my view! 

Obviously not ideal - more so for the park than anything! but it’s good to see how popular it’s proving - the kinks will be ironed out and be good to see merlin roll them out more across all their parks!

34 minutes ago, Marc said:

As I said there’s plenty of capsules - but the park are recommending you don’t purchase as the only refills available are the standard Fanta / coke etc from F&B units.

I was still told twice, including by a shop manager they sold out of them entirely in the park, not because they recommended not to buy them due to lack of syrup. As a result, not one person on park today can even buy one, let alone use it...

So either way, this much is certain - the park are intentionally misleading and lying to their customers.

40 minutes ago, Marhelorpe said:

I was still told twice, including by a shop manager they sold out of them entirely in the park, not because they recommended not to buy them due to lack of syrup. As a result, not one person on park today can even buy one, let alone use it...

So either way, this much is certain - the park are intentionally misleading and lying to their customers.

Maybe they have taken them off sale now - but you could buy them but the park are strongly encouraging you don’t - your better off buying the standard refills which I think are actually cheaper! 

I got to try out Gamefx a few days ago and I had a decent time in there. There was clearly a lot to do, though I do wish there were more Nintendo consoles as I would have to wait for a free NES or N64 whilst there were plenty of PS1s, PS2s, XBOXs available, that appeared to be more of a balance issue (that last comment is biased as Nintendo is my go-to company). But it was fun getting to play some retro games that I hadn't played before such as Mario Kart 64 or Simpsons Hit and Run and I think overall it was a nice event to have at the park to enhance the day.

However, I really want to bring up something about VR in general. I had never played a fully interactive VR game before so I decided to get a token and try out Job Simulator, and I must say, it was probably the most fun I've had in a video game for a long time. Literally 10 minutes on Job simulator was so much more enjoyable than the whole of DBGT! And I think it came down to the fact that it felt real due to the high amount of interaction. I was completely unaware that I probably looked liked a complete idiot whilst playing (sorry if all this is starting to dive into other topic areas).

Now I've only done 2 "fully dedicated" VR theme park attractions which were DBGT and Galactica, and neither of them felt real at all and many people also seem to find underwhelming (hence why Galactica no longer has VR). This is where I must say that from my point of view VR just doesn't really work unless you properly interact with it.

Also, after my last ride on DBGT (which was fully functional aside from a few glitches), I literally have no desire to ride it again. Yes I have ridden it many times now which probably has a huge impact, but that VR game made me realise just how poor the attraction is.

27 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

It looks good for some anniversary merchandise but what a shame all the park are doing to celebrate is grab some extra cash off fans.

I get what you're saying here, but I don't think it's just a cash grab. This is the park responding to what people have wanted in terms of merchandise: items which reflect the older Thorpe, with classic ranges not too dissimilar to what Towers have been doing with their 'old ride' pin collection. And it's not just fans who want that stuff, it's a wider audience.

I agree it's a shame they're not doing anything else (especially since there were plans being tossed around, but nothing happened), but let's not kick the park for responding to what people wanted in the first place..

42 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

I agree it's a shame they're not doing anything else (especially since there were plans being tossed around, but nothing happened), but let's not kick the park for responding to what people wanted in the first place..

Put it this way, I'm kicking the park for only responding to what people want when it gets them easy money. Any other park reaching 40, even small ones, would at least do something and make an event of it, bring people in. This is surely the main thing people want when they ask for 40th celebreations. But as expected, it was all cancelled bar the merch.

Other than that, it is funny how people will spend money to buy a logo for something they never knew or did, although I udnerstand people like to collect this stuff. Nostalgia sells. I might as well go buy a t shirt for a 1981 post punk US tour that I wasnt born for just because I like the record.

At least it isn't as bad as tearing a coaster down and then selling it piece by piece for hundreds of pounds in the shop.

It's a similar situation though, PB aren't interested in the history or old logos apart from where it makes them money, hence the greyscale bland park of today yet the merchandise shop is full of colourful old ride logos etc.

This seems very much the same situation with Thorpe using the old logos and branding to make easy money, but in terms of actually being proud of or celebrating their history on the park they aren't interested.

3 hours ago, StevenVig said:

No, just fanboys

1) No it isn't.

2) Even if it was, so what? People moan that Thorpe don't list to fanboys, but when they do, people moan. Damned if they damned if they don't.

I don't disagree about how poor it looks, or how rubbish it is that Thorpe aren't doing anything of note. Especially given how on trend it is to do these celebrations. But there's a difference between the departments that organise the merchandise and those that organise events. It's not an overriding decision of "we'll just do X over Y".

I like the 40th merch. I'd rather have that than junk *ahem "genuine ride parts". If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. All other merch is still available. In fact I'd rather see them update merch periodically so you see new stuff you might like throughout the year and the smaller batches make items more unique / collectable.

On my three visits I have been that are on peak days I have queued less than 15 minutes for a lot of the rides including the coasters. Rides don't just go down due to a technical reason, they go down due to people being sick and weather delays. The latter they are very strict with so has happened regularly. 

9 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

So far this year on average most rides are down for at least 30 - 60 minutes every single operational day. Inferno has major downtime on quiet days hinting at left over work from over the closed season is being completed whilst the park's open (on Wed for example it was closed for the entire day).

I just can't understand what "technical problems" these rides have that cause every single one of them to close down so much.

It could literally be anything - looking at queue times is a bad way of working out a tides reliability - things like cleaning up sick / weather delays would mean they show as closed. As for inferno it does seem to have had more shutdowns this year so far than it usually would - Hopefully what ever the issue it can be sorted soon!

5 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Except they haven't and are in stock on the Island Shop and Megastore..

*(At the time of looking in both stores as shown below on the shelves):

20190504_111936.thumb.jpg.37af7ed172ccfea0ed2765f099508fc4.jpg

That added asterik better now?

On a separate side-note, that obnoxious siren played at the end of the day park-wide again. :bad: