Marc

2019 Season

34 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

Summary: 5 minute queues and the rides still can't cope without being down. It makes one wonder if the rides are just held by bits of string and tape at this point seeing as they're down so much.

At least they weren't down for very long which is a good thing:

https://queue-times.com/parks/2/calendar/2019/04/02

(/sarcasm)

I was unaware that the queue time influenced how often the ride went down for. The weather was awful today, which is why most of the coasters were down for a bit. Like I say, Nemesis Inferno was the only non-weather related closure that lasted long enough to have any real impact on the day. Plus, as Ringo said, it's not just technical difficulties that shut rides.

(I also left at about 3pm to go pick up my sister from school so I also didn't see the Derren Brown closure for example)

Visited Thorpe twice lately, with TPM on Saturday and went again on this very rainy day, thought I'd post some thoughts from the two days and some observations for those who are intrested.

Saturday

• Much busier than expected but helped by most rides having good operations (one or two rides less so but nothing horrendous)
  • Music seemed a mixed bag, much clearer and louder in some places (bridge, upstairs Dome, Saw area (around the shop) and Colossus area)
    • But some areas were far too quiet or had problems (Swarm and downstairs Dome too quiet, Nemesis cutting out)
  • Coke Freestyle looked to be a very good addition, much better than previous refill cups, although it did have a few teething problems
  • Had my personal best ever run-though of DBGT, only one or two very minor issues but overall a near perfect run-through
    • Detail on DBGT:
      Spoiler

VR worked flawlessly apart from two minor tracking problems that resolved quickly. Staff acting was brilliant, people were genuinely convinced there was an emergency in the middle section at first. Middle section had actors in and I'm a fan of this version, makes far more sense to actually walk through the tunnels. Quite a long sequence of trying to open the door, staff did a good job of covering up a delay if it was one. Excuses for holding people in the shop are quite funny too.

• Nemesis
    • New lights had gotten stuck on the white stage and did not change on dispatch
    • Bose bass cannons in the ceiling were working (first time I've ever heard them, sounded great!)
    • Station floor desperately needed to be cleaned of gum
  • Rumba Rapids must have had some changes as half our boat got soaked!

Tuesday

• Very quiet and rainy day, most queues on 5 mins
  • Nemesis' lighting changes had been solved, changes to red on dispatch again, audio cut outs also appear to have been resolved
  • No smoke to be seen anywhere on Colossus, either broken or turned off I'm guessing. Old music still playing too!
  • DBGT: 
    Spoiler

No actors today and staff acting in the middle section wasn't quite as good. Much shorter as nothing much happened in the middle section, just a bit of audio and then you're on to the 2nd VR section. 2nd section was also shorter, didn't show the "I want to get off" person. No delays or technical issues though.

• Got soaked on Rumba again
  • New speakers on top of Detonator are a big improvement, can actually hear the countdown on the ride now

Overall two great visits, would be nice to see some more TLC around the park and for the quiet audio to be sorted out in some areas. Really felt on Saturday that the park needed another major ride there, not sure if I've just been too many times though!

2 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

New speakers on top of Detonator are a big improvement, can actually hear the countdown on the ride now

That's funny, I remember yyeeeearrrs ago when you could hear that from the top and it echoed all around the park. "3... 2... Juan"
Nice they fixed that after so long.

3 hours ago, EpicSmatty said:

Visited Thorpe twice lately, with TPM on Saturday and went again on this very rainy day, thought I'd post some thoughts from the two days and some observations for those who are intrested.

Nemesis

• New lights had gotten stuck on the white stage and did not change on dispatch
  • Bose bass cannons in the ceiling were working (first time I've ever heard them, sounded great!)
  • Station floor desperately needed to be cleaned of gum
  • Rumba Rapids must have had some changes as half our boat got soaked!

It sounds like INFERNO  has not really had any cleaning attention this year as you're not the first person who has spoken about all the chewing gum.

2 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

That's funny, I remember yyeeeearrrs ago when you could hear that from the top and it echoed all around the park. "3... 2... Juan"
Nice they fixed that after so long.

And it does once again! Can hear that countdown everywhere now, really confused me at first, thought they'd turned the speakers right up at the base but then saw the ones on top.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

It sounds like INFERNO  has not really had any cleaning attention this year as you're not the first person who has spoken about all the chewing gum.

Meant to write Inferno, not sure why I put Nemesis only! I did see some gum removal equipment being moved around elsewhere on park so maybe they're working on it? Fingers crossed.

GameFX starts Saturday. Further note: the park's new social media team don't use sarcastic gifs anymore!

image.png.a51c66dcaaf202fc31ffa1527d00ecdd.png

Personal opinion: Chris is right but I feel the park also wanted something "new" to make you visit for the 2019 season hence their choice of this badly-decided event (it's becoming more apparent that the event really is just a couple of console games you could play at home). Also, the events being put on this year (bar FN's and Jungle Escape) are probably just chicken-feed little "extras" the park have put on until they decide the upcoming direction for the park for the next few years which is where we'll see the really big investments (2020 being a prime example. It's not a coaster so could be something else). One hopes improvements to aesthetics, operations from restaurants to rides and ride availability will also be a core focus on future investment in the park.

33 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

GameFX starts Saturday. Further note: the park's new social media team don't use sarcastic gifs anymore!

The social media team is exactly the same as it was at the start of the year.

8 hours ago, JoshC. said:

The social media team is exactly the same as it was at the start of the year.

You sure? I can't believe people would be able to stick it out that long!!

Every time they post there are just constant waves of negativity thrown back at them from nearly every responder. With the (lack of) direction of the park at the moment it's quite understandable, and they must realise they've missed the mark with the promotion of this year's offering but seem too far commited to it to change tack. It must be absolutely soul destroying.

22 minutes ago, pluk said:

It must be absolutely soul destroying.

Which is obviously a good thing. Now they can feel what we feel when we visit the park.

20 minutes ago, Marc said:

No ones forcing you!

I still enjoy Thorpe Park to a extent but its crystal clear the park currently lacks a direction or much of a image.

I still have a bit of fun when I visit the park- Inferno has aged well, Swarm and Stealth are fun, but when you have so much crap being added into the park you start to feel like the place you once used to love is losing all its charm and character. When I visit the park presently its bitter-sweet, sure the rides are great, but all the little touches and details such as Swarm's station or Inferno's station feel like they are slowly peeling away and its depressing.

Its also sad that the last solid investment was 2013, and that was X.. 

10 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I still enjoy Thorpe Park to a extent but its crystal clear the park currently lacks a direction or much of a image.

I still have a bit of fun when I visit the park- Inferno has aged well, Swarm and Stealth are fun, but when you have so much crap being added into the park you start to feel like the place you once used to love is losing all its charm and character. When I visit the park presently its bitter-sweet, sure the rides are great, but all the little touches and details such as Swarm's station or Inferno's station feel like they are slowly peeling away and its depressing.

Its also sad that the last solid investment was 2013, and that was X.. 

Don’t get me wrong, im not saying the park don’t have its problems, but I wouldn’t say it’s quite at the soul destroying level!

I do disagree though - personally think The Walking Dead retheme of X was executed brilliantly and was their last solid investment!

On 4/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, EpicSmatty said:

• DBGT: 
      Hide contents

No actors today and staff acting in the middle section wasn't quite as good. Much shorter as nothing much happened in the middle section, just a bit of audio and then you're on to the 2nd VR section. 2nd section was also shorter, didn't show the "I want to get off" person. No delays or technical issues though.

•  

If I'm correct with the way those scenes are set up

Spoiler

The scene with the "I want to get off" and the girl getting told to sit down, possessed and then dragged away are part of the filler scenes

The ride for rise of the demon replaced one of the biggest complaints of the green gas filling the train as a way to pad out the VR without stopping it (if I'm correct the original had a 15 or 30 min loop of the stuff as the person who had to check that hated having to test it for that long) they solved the problem by having a VR show that could be cut at points with extra scenes beyond the 5ish min sequence before the final motion table "ending" scene as you descend into "hell". That scene is one of them if I'm correct

The shame is the want to get off saga is one the best parts of the ride as its 4th wall breaking and nice

but the only way to experience it in full is for 3 trains to be running and for them to be a loading delays cause otherwise most of that scene just wont be shown

The green gas lives on due to the fact if the train is delayed enough the screen will cut to a Sub core energy technical difficulties  screen with happy music

1 hour ago, Marc said:

personally think The Walking Dead retheme of X was executed brilliantly and was their last solid investment!

Agreed! Far more of an investment compared to X in 2013...

So I stayed at the Shark Hotel for two days and had a great time surprisingly. Although there was a drastic difference out of the two days operations wise. First day everything was running swiftly, a few rides shut because of the dreadful weather but in all it was good. 

Fins Bar And Grill was a complete joke though. Firstly I noticed the menu hardly offers anything other than a small burger meal or cod and chips. It was extortionate too. The service was utterly dreadful, the woman serving me had no idea what she was doing. I asked multiple times for an order and they still got it wrong. I realised the order was completely different and headed back. There was 3 or people in front of me and in the time she took to serve them the wrong food had arrived. In the end the manager had to sort out the order. Same thing happened to someone else too.

Today was a mixed bag though; rides were down - Tidal Wave all day when it was actually sunny? The staff were good nonetheless, allowing re-rides on practically everything towards the end as it was so quiet. 

In terms of the overall structure Old Town just looks sad, there's arcade games that aren't even working and a lost theming that feels empty without Loggers. The whole Colossus/Saw area looks empty too. Amity's looking great though. Looks more neat and polished compared to last time, the speakers and audio were great too. Rapids are improved too, you actually get splashed and they're more rapid. Everything else was running well though, besides Saw that I'm sure gets rougher every year! 

In regards to the 2019 TV ad, IMAScore made Thorpe a brilliant, brand recognisable theme tune in my opinion that is fully owned by them unlike Alton Towers and they don't even use it in the advert. wtf are they doing? 🤦‍♂️

Earlier on, the new Thorpe advert played twice in half an hour. I honestly felt so embarrassed when it was on! 😬

From: https://www.thorpepark.com/media/535642/bidding-farewell-to-loggers-leap-fv.pdf 

It is interesting though their self-description focuses on families:

"unmissable events for the whole family to enjoy!" 

and then has this tagline:

"THORPE PARK Resort is alive like no other and is the UK’s must-visit destination for families and friends alike to share endless fun and create all important memories."

Also, in the GameFX "eSport" event will be a £5 additional fee to enter.

That feeling when a small-time gaming company and Youtubers can create a better advert for social media than a multi-million pound theme park.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:37 AM, Ivsetti said:

image.png.a51c66dcaaf202fc31ffa1527d00ecdd.png

Personal opinion: Chris is right but I feel the park also wanted something "new" to make you visit for the 2019 season hence their choice of this badly-decided event (it's becoming more apparent that the event really is just a couple of console games you could play at home). Also, the events being put on this year (bar FN's and Jungle Escape) are probably just chicken-feed little "extras" the park have put on until they decide the upcoming direction for the park for the next few years which is where we'll see the really big investments (2020 being a prime example. It's not a coaster so could be something else). One hopes improvements to aesthetics, operations from restaurants to rides and ride availability will also be a core focus on future investment in the park.

Spoilers. 2020 won't have a big investment.

You know what, it looks really well done. Impressive line-up of games and consoles in my opinion, and the interior is well designed and lit. It’s basically a gamer’s paradise.

However, I would consider myself a pretty avid gamer and it does not interest me one bit. If I’m going to Thorpe Park I’m going because of the rides and the atmosphere, not to play videogames. I just find the whole thing a bit of an odd idea personally.