Jump to content
StevenVig

Rethemed for 2019 - Room on the Broom - A Magical Journey

Recommended Posts

Discuss

 

Will be interesting to see how the old space is used, and whether the level of effort in terms of theming has been put into it, similarly to The Gruffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering that the Gruffalo is the best "new" attraction at Chessington (seriously). If they can do Room on the Broom to a similar standard then it should be pretty good. It's also perfect for Chessington's target market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

If they can do Room on the Broom to a similar standard then it should be pretty good. It's also perfect for Chessington's target market.

Doesn't stop me from foreseeing the impending rebranding into Julia Donaldson Land in around 10 years time though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Room On The Broom is awkward and has no fun factor. The beginning scene and the kids bashing the fire flies was as excited as they got.

Hocus Pocus Hall was more stupid and fun, and I think that worked better really. You didn't have to stop in each tiny, cramped room to watch a barely-moving animation or a TV. Yes, stop and watch a TV. Why?

The new stop and watch format means you awkwardly need to have a staff member stopping everyone from just walking past. In a corridor, people's instinct is of course to walk down it. It means the queue is now incredibly slow too. It's just not worth the slow pace you end up with.

It could have been really good, but the way it's turned out it feels like it's barely an attraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wumbamillio said:

Room On The Broom is awkward and has no fun factor. The beginning scene and the kids bashing the fire flies was as excited as they got.

Hocus Pocus Hall was more stupid and fun, and I think that worked better really. You didn't have to stop in each tiny, cramped room to watch a barely-moving animation or a TV. Yes, stop and watch a TV. Why?

The new stop and watch format means you awkwardly need to have a staff member stopping everyone from just walking past. In a corridor, people's instinct is of course to walk down it. It means the queue is now incredibly slow too. It's just not worth the slow pace you end up with.

It could have been really good, but the way it's turned out it feels like it's barely an attraction.

Difference is this is actually trying to tell a story, there was absolutely no story in Hocus Pocus, which meant a free flowing walk through worked. It was just a lot of crazy lights, goblins and some effects (when they worked). If you had ROTB as a free flow walk through, it would make no sense, and for people like myself, who obviously haven't read the books, I would never have understood even the basic premise of the story if it wasn't stop and watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

Difference is this is actually trying to tell a story, there was absolutely no story in Hocus Pocus, which meant a free flowing walk through worked. It was just a lot of crazy lights, goblins and some effects (when they worked). If you had ROTB as a free flow walk through, it would make no sense, and for people like myself, who obviously haven't read the books, I would never have understood even the basic premise of the story if it wasn't stop and watch

Yeah it tries to tell a story, but like I said it just wasn't worth it, it slows it down too much. There are many ways to do a walkaround and thread a theme through it, and build up to an ending. It should just be an interactive experience with every room a bit different until it builds to an ending. Maybe have the preshow, free flow and then stop guests in a finale room. Whichever works best.

The way Room on the Broom does it at the moment (and the tiny rooms) just didn't entertain. They should have looked at the space and the limited throughput, and thought 'ok let's thread the story differently'.

Hocus Pocus Hall got really run down because it hadnt been looked after properly for 15 years, it was rubbish by the time it closed. But it was still more entertaining because it just let kids run around and press buttons, look in windows and sit on a fart chair. Rather than stand and watch a small TV or a white room with one thing moving in the corner.

It looked more colourful and detailed, it had its time but now its replacement is very bland for most part. Although I liked the new preshow better and the 'dragon' was a bit more memorable for kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Room On The Broom with my nephew last Sunday and overall I wouldn't say its bad, but it could of been way much better.

As the post above me has said the small rooms and pace of the attraction feels very awkward and abrupt.

I felt like it would been better if it was a free flow walk-through with a bunch of things for the kids to stop and see instead of a bunch of mini shows in cramped rooms.

I'm guessing throughput and the amount of staff they have to use for it will be a annoyance in a few years too.. 

 

On the upside I did like some of the effects at the start and some of the theming, not bad at all.

Room On The Broom for me is like doing the washing up- its not a bad thing, but its not good either, at least its not TWD or Alton Dungeons..

Chessington has been pretty lucky recently tbh, they have somewhat of taken a direction and the park the other day felt a bit more soulful than the wasteland which is down the road..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...